Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise reduction kits worthwhiled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will tell you that this kit on a 2021 MY did not make a difference, at least to me. Felt like I wasted a lot of time installing this for not many gains. These kits are just out to make money. They do not reduce (noticeable) noise.

However, the only thing they reduced was water getting into the gaps in the door during car washes.

My 2020 was very noisy especially on the highway. Installed both kits from RPM and the noise has been reduced noticeably. I hard a hard time getting the roof gasket to stay in place and had to silicone it in in the end.
I also like that the doors have a firmer sound when they are shut. It used to drive me crazy when passengers slammed them shut (they were used to a big SUV door, I guess). With the gaskets installed it doesn't bother me as much. Having said that, it now takes more effort to get the doors to shut properly, but we have already adapted to that.

Reactions: bpon89
Just installed my road noise kit yesterday, I don't really notice any difference.

I did buy the wind noise reduction kit, the gap on my roof glass front is so tight I couldn't install the rubber in it. I'm going to ask for refund on that one.

I have some rattle sound coming from the rear passenger side, not exactly sure what it is. And I tend to hear the frame flex as I go over speed bumps and other driveway ramps. Other than that, music usually drowns out any other sounds.

Thanks for the info on the noise kit. FWIW, I have a rattle that only occurs after someone has reclined the rear passenger seat and is no longer sitting in that seat. As soon as I even the seats up, the rattle goes away. I won't presume to say this is your problem, but it can't hurt to check.

Thanks for the info on the noise kit. FWIW, I have a rattle that only occurs after someone has reclined the rear passenger seat and is no longer sitting in that seat. As soon as I even the seats up, the rattle goes away. I won't presume to say this is your problem, but it can't hurt to check.
I was thinking that too but I still hear it even if I fold the seat completely down.

I was thinking that too but I still hear it even if I fold the seat completely down.
I will do some testing today. I don't have the rattle when both rear seats are fully upright but do have it when the passenger side rear seat is reclined. I will try a double recline and the form of flatness and see what happens, You may want to test each and then report it on service portion of the app. I have been very favorably pleased with the local mobile service from Tesla.

Interestingly, I just installed the RPM wind and road noise kit today. I previously sound-insulated my trunk bucket, 1/4 panels, and hatch. After cutting down on the noise from the back, I noticed the mild wind noise and what appeared to be road noise predominantly from the rear doors. Contrary to what other's experienced, my car is very noticably quieter after installing the two RPM kits. It's so nice now. There is just a bit of the low frequency noise still present, so the modelyshelf may be in my future plans.View attachment 645440
What did you use to sound insulate the trunk bucket?

I was initially reluctant to buy the roof gasket, but after taking a short road trip where I was the passenger, I got to experience what my wife was complaining about (a wind noise near the upper area of the passenger door glass by the A-pillar, or roof ), but it was an annoyance if riding for more than 30 minutes or so. So based on the recommendation of a few local MY owners I bought the rubber gasket from AO (less than $20 shipped) and installed it. It was a tight fit along the seem between the windshield and leading edge of the glass roof and for about 12" or so towards the rear of the roof, so I used one of these screen rollers I had on hand and got it seated flush into the channel the rest of it is loose. But after a test drive with me as the passenger and the same highway speeds (up to 75 mph) I can tell you it eliminated almost ALL OF that wind noise we heard prior to its installation.

So far it works as advertised and I have a quieter cabin. FYI we are 68+ so our hearing can be problematic, but the frequency and level of that noise bothered both of us. No longer.

But I do wish Tesla did a better job with the door gaskets.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I was initially reluctant to buy the roof gasket, but after taking a short road trip where I was the passenger, I got to experience what my wife was complaining about (a wind noise near the upper area of the passenger door glass by the A-pillar, or roof ), but it was an annoyance if riding for more than 30 minutes or so. So based on the recommendation of a few local MY owners I bought the rubber gasket from AO (less than $20 shipped) and installed it. It was a tight fit along the seem between the windshield and leading edge of the glass roof and for about 12" or so towards the rear of the roof, so I used one of these screen rollers I had on hand and got it seated flush into the channel the rest of it is loose. But after a test drive with me as the passenger and the same highway speeds (up to 75 mph) I can tell you it eliminated almost ALL OF that wind noise we heard prior to its installation.

So far it works as advertised and I have a quieter cabin. FYI we are 68+ so our hearing can be problematic, but the frequency and level of that noise bothered both of us. No longer.

But I do wish Tesla did a better job with the door gaskets.
Hi Tom, What is AO? Got a link?

For sure, it keeps the door jamb area cleaners. Sound reduction? Maybe the placebo effect, but I say yes.

Different issue: The adhesive isn't holding some of the gaskets firmly. The gasket is pulling away, with stringy adhesive stretched between the gasket and the painted surface. Has anyone found a better adhesive that holds the gasket firmly, while being removable if needed?

Noise reduction kit in our 3 was noticable. Cut out all the traffic noise. Wind noise (A pillers) was still there.

But the adhesive started coming off after just one year.

I will do it again on our three but will triple clean it first.