Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla on a supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without one of Teslas' main USPs there won't be such a compelling reason to remain loyal.

Well, I have a Tesla on order, due for delivery in a couple of weeks.

I have been contemplating cancelation on and off many times for reasons that just keep mounting-up.... shoddy build quality, below par paint finish, multiple panel shading differences, indifferent Tesla employee attitude, abysmal communication skils, refusal to fix faults because "it's within spec", critical suspension components not being adequately secured due to incompetence, other components 'bodged-in' with bits of wood and sticky tape, reports of many many service visits with faults still not having been rectified, the list gets longer by the day.

I have a grave concern that on collection day the chances of my car being built properly is extremely low.

The ONLY reason hitherto that I am still (just) holding off my cancelation (for the second time) is due to the inferior Tesla charging network, which is probably the driving factor in the vast majority of purchases.

So, it appears that this USP is likely to be negated, so why would I want to buy a Tesla? I cannot justify any other reason TBH.

I have no doubt that if this is true then the interest in anyone (other than fanboys) wishing to purchase a Tesla will wane considerably with depreciation increasing as a consequence.

As there will not be any communication handshake between the stall and a non-Tesla vehicle how will they pay?
I don't see how the overstay idling charge can be implemented either, resulting in stalls being choked with vehicles whilst their owners are busily engaged doing their weekly shopping or idly browsing for Christmas presents.

In short, my confidence with the brand is rapidly falling to Zero and cancelation is now back on my agenda for serious consideration.

Well, I don’t know what you base yourself on to come up with that list.
Whilst I suspect some people may have had some of those issues (and the customer service issues, granted, are pretty much universal), by and large the majority of cars are perfectly fine.
I have yet to have any major issues with mine a year and 25k miles down the line. Same thing with my sister’s Model 3.
They wouldn’t be selling that well if all the dramas were so universal.
There aren’t that many fanboys around.

Last edited:
You have 7 days and 1000 miles to reject the car. I bought an inventory car back in may and it's spotless. I am sure people do have issues with Tesla's but the same is true of any car. What I am not sure is. Are there really that many more issues, is the brand in the media more so people are looking for and report it, or is there some other demographic(e.g tesla owners more likely to be IT literate and so report it more?) . So I would suggest keep the order, go over it according to the snag list on this forum and if it really is that bad, return it within the 7 days

.... and the supercharger glitch seems to have been rectified from other comments.

It may be best to cancel the order if you have already decided you aren’t going to be happy, sometimes the stress of something like this is just not worth it .....

Hope you do carry on though, and you get something you are happy with, and you enjoy the experience of what is an incredible piece of technology - genuinely it is like nothing I’ve experienced before. Is it Rolls Royce perfect ? No, but none of the minor snags are worries that will bother me beyond the next few weeks, I’ll have a few rattles dealt with after 3-4 hours total effort and the steering wheel alignment is being booked in for whenever Bristol can sort it in early October when they are quieter on deliveries.

... by and large the majority of cars are perfectly fine.
I have yet to have any major issues with mine a year and 25k miles down the line.

I agree, the *majority* may well be fine, but the ones that aren't seem to attract many service visits to try to get them fixed.

It is a 1.5 hour trip to my service centre, I have no intention of spending a high percentage of my ownership experience commuting back and forth at my expense getting issues fixed as three owners I know are now enduring, one having made 5 SC visits with faults still not rectified.

It seems to be pot luck whether you get a good or bad one, not reassuring or confidence-inspiring I have to say.

That’s a fair comment.
Ultimately if the risk unacceptable then maybe now is not the time for you to make the leap.
I still think you are more likely than not to get a decent car, and the fact is that despite those quoted issues most people love their Teslas.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you end up buying an EV. It is definitely the way forward.

Good luck! :D

multiple panel shading differences,
The ONLY reason hitherto that I am still (just) holding off my cancelation (for the second time) is due to the inferior Tesla charging network, which is probably the driving factor in the vast majority of purchases.

So, it appears that this USP is likely to be negated, so why would I want to buy a Tesla? I cannot justify any other reason TBH.

(other than fanboys)
As there will not be any communication handshake between the stall and a non-Tesla vehicle how will they pay?
In short, my confidence with the brand is rapidly falling to Zero and cancelation is now back on my agenda for serious consideration.

Just some snippets of your post above ... Is this trolling or are you serious? I can't remember "shading differences coming up" anywhere .. not saying it hasn't but for it to get a mention seems bizarre! This "fanboys" terminology seems to be a term used by people who have taken an anti Tesla standpoint to be used against anyone who doesn't care their standpoint. The recent Supercharger issue is a complete red herring and has already been resolved. Anyone who really held the views you claim to hold would surely just walk away ... not start posting in this forum. Nobody is forcing you to buy a Tesla .. in fact I I don't believe you are in the right frame of mind at the moment and would suggest you pull out of the transaction and save yourself the anxiety.

Whilst I've been very happy with my car so far, I still can't bring myself to recommend a Tesla to friends, family or anyone I know....

It's not the car itself, that's one of the most expensive & most enjoyable products I've ever bought. It's nothing negative with the (Stockport) Service Centre either & certainly not the supercharger network which has been perfect whenever I've needed it.

For me it's about Teslas' corporate attitude to customers - Sell something that will probably be at an acceptable quality level but if it isn't then expect the purchaser to inconvenience themselves to get it fixed. Rush out constant software upgrades (sometimes adding new bugs) but don't resolve fundamental issues like the possibility of the car being rear-ended on auto. Change the pricing model with little respect for people who previously purchased at higher cost & promise ambiguous features with a timeline that either doesn't happen or were advertised as inclusive but at a later date become chargeable. Keep us dreading that occasion when something does actually need fixing & whether it will be covered under 'warranty', at what cost, how long it will take, will we have something to drive while we wait & will other things need attention when we get it back?

This latest episode where we pay for supercharging but others received it for free is either another example of Tesla rushing something out without de-bugging properly or if not, a deliberate decision that is bound to push our noses out of joint. Either way, I don't expect we will get an apology or explanation from the company.

I appreciate, respect and admire that Tesla is a major disruptor & the auto industry (& environment) needs this. I also appreciate that in order to survive they need volume, profitability & liquidity so corners are probably being cut.... but without a cent of advertising so far, they rely on us, the Customers to spread the word.

Maybe the cars themselves will pull Tesla through & I hope that's true but as for the overall customer 'experience', it's becoming a sad indictment on a brand that promises so much but could be approaching a point where they risk it all...

Speak as you find. Cambridge & Dartford moved heaven & earth to home deliver my car in March. Mine has no build issues.
My nearest SC is 100 miles away. In time there should be one closer.
I’ve been happy with my purchase but parting with £50K was painful.

Just over a couple of years ago, when I was first looking at EV’s, I visited a big BMW dealership. The five sales people were huddled in a group and I couldn’t see any EV’s in the 30 or so cars in the showroom.
I went and and asked the group if they had any. The reply was just no and they carried on chatting.
I’ll never go back there.

I would add that whatever you buy these days, be it a washing machine, a Hoover, a motorbike, a car or even a pair or pants. There will be always be a disproportionate number of adverse comments as most people who are happy with their purchase don’t often bother to say so. That’s just human nature.

Last edited:
Exactly my point!

Thanks for your kind wishes and reassuring comments.

I was not expecting my purchase experience to be this stressful TBH
If you do go ahead. With your current worries, make sure you collect from a location that will give you the chance to inspect before collection e.g. Not West drayton. If you are not happy make sure you are in a position where you can walk away. The majority of issues are apparent day 1.
If that is not a new car buying experience you can live with walk away now. Tesla ownership is definitely not for everyone right now.
I treated it as an adventure into the future and was happy to deal with whatever that brought good and bad.
(10k no manufacturing issues)

Back in July, at the Orleans SUC, a Zoe driver stopped next to me and tried to plug in. I told him that it most probably wouldn't work and started a friendly discussion. He said he had been delivered his car a couple of days before, and that the salesperson at Renault had specifically told him he could load at Tesla SUCs. At that time, back in July, I thought to myself that it was wishful thinking from that the salesperson, but now...
Could it be that this has been a known fact for a long time and that Renault instructed their salespersons to leak this information to their clients (ignoring or forgetting to mention it's only V3 SUCs (CCS) that allow to do so) ??

Until recently there haven't been that many v3s about outside the USA so it's possible a salesman heard of something and passed it on, but more likely he was just misinformed.. there were a few cases of taxi drivers being convinced of the same and uselessly hogging SUCs.

[QUOTE="Tony Hoyle, post: 4997779, member: 103124"..... it's possible a salesman heard of something and passed it on, .[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine is due to collect a VW id3 in 3 weeks, she too has been told by the salesperson that they can use Tesla superchargers.

So maybe they know something that isn't common knowledge?

I asked how she would be paying, she didn't know! so I suggested that she contact the salesperson to ask that question.

A friend of mine is due to collect a VW id3 in 3 weeks, she too has been told by the salesperson that they can use Tesla superchargers.

So maybe they know something that isn't common knowledge?

I asked how she would be paying, she didn't know! so I suggested that she contact the salesperson to ask that question.
My nephews fiancee has ordered an Audi e-Tron & been told the same by the dealer, apparently free use.