Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Carolina Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carvana gave me a price $1100 more than my trade.. but the way tax works it ends up being a wash. From what I understand if the Tesla is $53K and my trade value is $13K, only the $40K gets taxed.
If I do a cash down payment instead, the entire $53K gets taxed...
So unless I'm getting at least $2-3K more, it is a wash. Am I correct?

With 3% flat sales tax rate, tax for $53k:
Without trade-in: $53k*3% = $1,590
With trade-in valued @$13k: (53k-13k)*3% = $1,200
So you'd pay $(1,590-1,200)= $390 less tax with trade-in.
Or simpler: you'd pay no tax on the trade-in value part, so $13k*3% = $390 less when trade-in.

In the meantime, you sell your car to Carvana for an extra of $1,100, that's a net gain of $1,100-$390 = $710. So, yep, you'll be $710 ahead by selling to Carvana.

In a nutshell, as long as the extra you'll get from Carvana or whoever other than Tesla is more than 3% of Tesla's trad-in offer, you are ahead.

Or simpler: you'd pay no tax on the trade-in value part, so $13k*3% = $390 less when trade-in.

In the meantime, you sell your car to Carvana for an extra of $1,100, that's a net gain of $1,100-$390 = $710. So, yep, you'll be $710 ahead by selling to Carvana.

In a nutshell, as long as the extra you'll get from Carvana or whoever other than Tesla is more than 3% of Tesla's trad-in offer, you are ahead.

Thanks for the explanation. It seems like a no brainer for the extra $710.
I just wonder if it will affect my loan details and agreement since I set it up with the trade in. I guess as long as I showed up with the same amount of money as my trade-in equity, it wouldn't matter? I'd still have the extra $700 in pocket.

This is all correct. Just wanted to add that when I spoke to my SA during my test-drive, she mentioned that they require you keep your insurance policy on the car for a fair chunk of time because they don't have someone going to the DMV all the time to process things. So depending on the delta in comparison to selling at a place like CarMax, etc., that might further reduce the net benefit of the reduced sales tax due to trade-in credit.

They
Awesome news! Had you called them to confirm or did they call you unsolicited?
They randomly called at around 430/5p i already had my schedule delivery date so they just confirm some of the details for the registration and also payment details, and they said unless they find something wrong with the car during inspection everything is set for Wednesday

Reactions: Wolfpacker83
Do you happen to know when the truck was originally expected? Talking to them last week, my order was scheduled to arrive on the 18th. I'll assume there is more than one delivery though.
Not sure on details. Just know that my delivery was scheduled for the 15th and has been moved twice now to the 16th, and then to the 17th. I assume the truck was expected on the 13th or 14th to give them time to prep.

They

They randomly called at around 430/5p i already had my schedule delivery date so they just confirm some of the details for the registration and also payment details, and they said unless they find something wrong with the car during inspection everything is set for Wednesday
When you are there on Wednesday, can you look for a MSM black interior with 19" wheels and VIN 199xxx? I guess my delivery is still scheduled for Thursday but I haven't heard anything since last week.

Wow. and I just got a phone call from my SA to confirm pickup for tomorrow... Maybe it is arriving today on a truck.
Edit: I called back and they said it arrived last night. So it must've been in the back or something. Thanks for looking!
It must have been in the inspection or detailing, i did notice more cars around the lot when I was pulling away well I picked up my car and found 2 issues that they fixed while I was there I'll post pictures and details

Okay fellas picked up my Y today, i found 2 issues before I pulled off the lot that they fix right there i waited maybe 45 mins but they were super busy, there were atleast 6 people there picking up cars.

I found an issue on the passager side trim around the door and the rear driver side window weather strip was coming down.

They first tried to clean the trim thinking it was just glue but it didn't come off they tried to paint over it but that didn't work either so they decide to go ahead and replace the whole piece tool them maybe 20mins to do that.

Here's the pictures
received_1239751646456512.jpeg
received_843089406628594.jpeg
received_3012374399046582.jpeg
received_559573631709345.jpeg

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
Delivery still confirmed for tomorrow night. However, just got a call and they realized my current plates (I'm transferring) expire in July so they said I have to get an inspection and pay taxes on my current vehicle. So I'm doing that tonight or tomorrow morning.

Delivery still confirmed for tomorrow night. However, just got a call and they realized my current plates (I'm transferring) expire in July so they said I have to get an inspection and pay taxes on my current vehicle. So I'm doing that tonight or tomorrow morning.
Hope you get it tomorrow man, we just drove it to Charlotte in autopilot all the way here it was the smoothes most relax drive we done and we drove it during 5p traffic the car handle so well, and very impressive the way the car handle exits and merging over in self drive.

Reactions: Wolfpacker83