Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MYP that we are taking delivery on Sep 7 will be our first car purchase in Texas. The Tesla order agreement is vague about taxes and government fees. It is clear that sales tax is not included. Since I placed the order on July 4 the site has just simply indicated that these "taxes and governmental fees will be calculated as your delivery date nears." My delivery date is pretty near, but I still have no info.

I know sales tax on a vehicle in Texas is 6.25%. Does Tesla collect that or do I somehow pay it directly?

I am, of course, not willing to do the open ended ACH enablement that Tesla defaults to, but I also can't get any clarification from Tesla about what amount beyond the listed value in the agreement they need on delivery. If Tesla wants a certified check or wire transfer to cover sales tax and other governmental fees ... well ... I kind of need to know! ;)
Oh and you will received a packet from Tesla within a couple weeks after delivery witht he necessary paperwork you will need to take to your local DPS to pay the taxes on the car to get your permanent registration.

Reactions: M-S-M
I believe this has to be done in person. I set an appointment prior and the entire transaction took me less than 15 minutes. You can buy alcohol on Sundays starting SEP 1st :)
Thank you for the quick info. I guess I’ll have to deal with the in person then. 😉

Great to hear that alcohol can be sold on Sun starting Sep 1. Were the restrictions on alcohol service in restaurants before 10:30am also lifted? I like a good Bloody Mary with brunch and I like to eat early. 🤣

I was told that the taxes you pay is based off the finance portion minus your down payment. So lets say your total car purchase is $60k but you put $10k down, your Texas taxes will be 6.25% of the $50k owed on the car.

Almost correct: It's the price of the vehicle (financed or otherwise) minus the value of any trade in

So in your example, it'd still be 6.25% of $60k ... unless you traded in something and they gave you say $20k for it, in which case your taxes would be 6.25% of $40k

One more point: 6.25% is the Sales tax amount for Texas, but you might find other amounts in different municipalities. For instance if you buy something taxable in Dallas, you'll pay 8.25% which is the state mandated 6.25%, plus a local 2%. IIRC, 2% is the maximum amount applicable over the base 6.25% and 1% goes to help fund DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). So in this example, even though you'll pay 8.25% on your groceries, in Dallas, you'll still pay only 6.25% on your vehicle purchase. Confused?

Now that's for registration of a new vehicle. For a second hand, used, pre-owned etc vehicle, they used to let you put the amount you "paid" on the form and it was done on the honour system , or I suppose because it's Texas, the honor system. I guess they lost too much money that way (duh!) so now for a used etc vehicle, they calculate an amount called the Standard Presumtive Value (a little like a blue book value) and you pay 6.25% of 80% of that - non dealer sales. No idea what they do for used dealer sales, and never want to find out!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Almost correct: It's the price of the vehicle (financed or otherwise) minus the value of any trade in
Got it — that makes sense and is the same as every other state where I’ve purchased a car. Finalized insurance and uploaded the verification today. Excited to get the car in 1 week!

Does anyone have any tips on how to get delivery switched back to the Tesla showroom/delivery center location?

We’re in Austin and selected the Domain Tesla center for delivery with the order, but it defaulted now to home delivery. We live downtown and don’t want to hassle with a downtown street (where?) delivery, nor do we want someone driving our car from the Domain to downtown. 😒

These are extremely important questions and very useful answers.

I have bought two new cars here so far but the dealership took care of it all so I am also curious about the ever important details…

If Tesla is not a dealer and thus does not register the car for us like dealers do (I did not need to go to the DPS to register the prior 2 cars) how do they get the temporary paper plates? Or do we have to do something to get those? Because if it’s down to us and we don’t get the necessary paperwork for a few weeks what do we do in the meantime, drive around without any? Alternatively, if they are getting the paper plates why aren’t they able to register for the real ones?

As for taxes, I assumed they were on top as I did not see them explicitly listed. However…
On my completed steps tab when I scroll down and look at the financial details it gives the car price, monthly payment and down payment and below that says “includes taxes, fees, order fees and payments”. Not that I believe that for a second but it seems deceptive…

Oh and you will received a packet from Tesla within a couple weeks after delivery witht he necessary paperwork you will need to take to your local DPS to pay the taxes on the car to get your permanent registration.
Not sure if it's different in Houston vs. Austin but I had to do my title/registration at the local county office/assessor rather than DPS. Don't want you to make an appointment at the wrong location.

Thank you Ziggityzen. So can this be done online, or do you have to go to the county office for Texas vehicles?

I experienced Texas DMV for the first time in Feb 2020 and it was OMG the worst of any state ever. I've done driver's license in NY, NJ, CA and UT and never experienced anything like the mess, delay and bureaucracy of Texas. And while I'm bitching, why can't I buy whiskey in Texas on a Sunday? :confused:😣😂
Tesla will send you a packet within a few weeks of purchasing the vehicle. You take the paperwork that’s included plus the state inspection that should be in your glove box and you can go to any DMV office and pay the 6.25% tax on the sales price. Inside the packet is a company that will do it for you but they charge a premium for doing it for you and you don’t have to go to the tax office.

Not sure if it's different in Houston vs. Austin but I had to do my title/registration at the local county office/assessor rather than DPS. Don't want you to make an appointment at the wrong location.

Yes good point. I hadn't spotted that one

DPS is for things like Driver Licenses

Tax office is for registering and title ... and fighting!

you can also do it online (allegedly)

Last edited:
If Tesla is not a dealer and thus does not register the car for us like dealers do (I did not need to go to the DPS to register the prior 2 cars) how do they get the temporary paper plates?

What I know so far is that Tesla is able to get temporary tags and registration. In Texas, they must have your full insurance card and details including VIN (not just a declaration) before they can start the process of getting the temporary tags. If you're late uploading your insurance details, it can (eventually will) affect your delivery.

I was assigned a service advisor in Las Vegas (no idea why it wasn't Austin) and they connected me to a delivery manager for some detailed questions that they could not answer. They've both been very responsive and helpful. Unfortunately, they know nothing specific about Texas nor do they have any ability to see why delivery was changes from the Tesla center to home. No one in Austin answers the phone, returns a call, or an email. Ugh

Has anyone in Texas (Austin or other city) successfully switched their delivery back to the Tesla SC rather than home? Any tips or suggestions?

We don't want home delivery. Selected Tesla SC delivery when we ordered and now I can't get connected to anyone at Tesla that can help. It seems to be entirely with the local Austin team.

What I know so far is that Tesla is able to get temporary tags and registration. In Texas, they must have your full insurance card and details including VIN (not just a declaration) before they can start the process of getting the temporary tags. If you're late uploading your insurance details, it can (eventually will) affect your delivery.

I was assigned a service advisor in Las Vegas (no idea why it wasn't Austin) and they connected me to a delivery manager for some detailed questions that they could not answer. They've both been very responsive and helpful. Unfortunately, they know nothing specific about Texas nor do they have any ability to see why delivery was changes from the Tesla center to home. No one in Austin answers the phone, returns a call, or an email. Ugh

Has anyone in Texas (Austin or other city) successfully switched their delivery back to the Tesla SC rather than home? Any tips or suggestions?

We don't want home delivery. Selected Tesla SC delivery when we ordered and now I can't get connected to anyone at Tesla that can help. It seems to be entirely with the local Austin team.
I reached out to my SA and he was able to change it to Tesla SC.

One more point: 6.25% is the Sales tax amount for Texas, but you might find other amounts in different municipalities. For instance if you buy something taxable in Dallas, you'll pay 8.25% which is the state mandated 6.25%, plus a local 2%. IIRC, 2% is the maximum amount applicable over the base 6.25% and 1% goes to help fund DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). So in this example, even though you'll pay 8.25% on your groceries, in Dallas, you'll still pay only 6.25% on your vehicle purchase. Confused?

Sales tax for autos is 6.25% in Texas. There is no local sales tax for autos.