Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not missing this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say, when it came time to fire up my snowblower, I did feel a bit sheepish driving to the gas station in my Tesla and then pulling out and filling the little gallon can. Took days for the gasoline stank to fade out of the car. :(

I saw a review video where the reviewer said he used the frunk to carry home take-out pizzas because that eliminated the pizza smell in the cabin. I don't know offhand if a typical gas can for a home gas-powered appliance would fit in a Model 3 frunk, but if it did, the same principle might be helpful in that case.

I saw a review video where the reviewer said he used the frunk to carry home take-out pizzas because that eliminated the pizza smell in the cabin. I don't know offhand if a typical gas can for a home gas-powered appliance would fit in a Model 3 frunk, but if it did, the same principle might be helpful in that case.
That makes sense, and yes, a small 1 gallon should just fit - will have to remember to try next time, thanks!

Based on today's exchange rates, we're paying around US $6.42 per US Gallon here in the UK (average £1.30 per litre cost)
And most of that is taxes, much of which goes to the NHS
Remember "The Biggest difference between the US and the UK is that in the US, 100 years is a long time, in the UK, 100 miles is a long way"

A 100 mile trip in most of the US is within reason for "Going out to dinner"

On our test drive, the Tesla salesman told us about using the frunk for takeout due to the smell being sealed from the cabin. He also showed us how the hooks in the frunk can be used to stop takeout (and grocery) bags from toppling over :)

And most of that is taxes, much of which goes to the NHS
Remember "The Biggest difference between the US and the UK is that in the US, 100 years is a long time, in the UK, 100 miles is a long way"

A 100 mile trip in most of the US is within reason for "Going out to dinner"

Continuing the aside:

100 mile round trip just to eat? That's crazy! ... , I'd have said 13 years ago when I was still living in the UK. Now we normally do a 105 mile round trip to eat every other week. Sometimes farther.

It used to be that my perception of distance depended on how direct public transportation was. I lived only 45 miles from my parents, but with no direct connection between towns it took 2 and 1/2 hours. I cycled there and back once (1 week apart) and it took 3 hours.

Continuing the aside:

100 mile round trip just to eat? That's crazy! ... , I'd have said 13 years ago when I was still living in the UK. Now we normally do a 105 mile round trip to eat every other week. Sometimes farther.

It used to be that my perception of distance depended on how direct public transportation was. I lived only 45 miles from my parents, but with no direct connection between towns it took 2 and 1/2 hours. I cycled there and back once (1 week apart) and it took 3 hours.

My parents and I used to got 130 miles ONE WAY to eat about 2-3 times per year. I go drop in on friends 120 miles away 6-7 times a year. Not a big deal

The first time I heard that quote was when Model Engineering Magazine was having their 100th expo in the UK. I knew folks flying in from all over the world - Oz, NZ, USA (both coasts etc). One of the guys in London was saying "I'm not going, it is 75 miles, ONE WAY". We were laughing, because most of us in the US, our local Model Engineering club is further than that, and most have 2-4 meets/month. He could not fathom the idea of driving 100 miles for a monthly event. At the time I worked 60 miles one way from home. Blew his mind (didn't have the heart to tell him I've had a one way commute as much as 125 miles

My parents and I used to got 130 miles ONE WAY to eat about 2-3 times per year. I go drop in on friends 120 miles away 6-7 times a year. Not a big deal

The first time I heard that quote was when Model Engineering Magazine was having their 100th expo in the UK. I knew folks flying in from all over the world - Oz, NZ, USA (both coasts etc). One of the guys in London was saying "I'm not going, it is 75 miles, ONE WAY". We were laughing, because most of us in the US, our local Model Engineering club is further than that, and most have 2-4 meets/month. He could not fathom the idea of driving 100 miles for a monthly event. At the time I worked 60 miles one way from home. Blew his mind (didn't have the heart to tell him I've had a one way commute as much as 125 miles
Distance in the UK is different. I remember driving a friend from USA to Edinburgh from London. A trip that requires planning, changing the oil, checking brakes, bringing emergency supplies, checking weather forecast and generally preparing as if your'e going to the Arctic. He thought it was hilarious to go to so much trouble for such a shortish journey (600 miles or so). After the trip though he said he was exhausted and felt like we had travelled so much further. I think because of the density of the country (you are always passing through some town or city, traffic, smaller roads etc. it just feels much further and it takes so much longer to get anywhere).

Reactions: Lasairfion
Distance in the UK is different. I remember driving a friend from USA to Edinburgh from London. A trip that requires planning, changing the oil, checking brakes, bringing emergency supplies, checking weather forecast and generally preparing as if your'e going to the Arctic. He thought it was hilarious to go to so much trouble for such a shortish journey (600 miles or so). After the trip though he said he was exhausted and felt like we had travelled so much further. I think because of the density of the country (you are always passing through some town or city, traffic, smaller roads etc. it just feels much further and it takes so much longer to get anywhere).
I'm driving in NYC/East Coast, which is the same kind of density. Out in the Midwest, 100 miles is simple. Here in NYC Metro, I'll see your density. I used to do Bayside Queens to Cedar Knolls NJ - a mere 50 miles, which at Rush our used to take at LEAST 90 minutes. Took as much as 3 hours, but no big deal
The club I was talking about was in Southaven County Park - 50 miles. Good day? 50 minutes. Typical? 1:20

Frankly, I drive to Rochester fairly often. 350 miles. The first 50 are worse than the other 300.
Thing is, a gallon of gas still is a gallon of gas. If you are getting 20 MPG, that 300 miles is still 15 gals. If your government is charging an extra $2/gal, they are hitting $30 deeper. It is part of the reason we hate gas taxes more

I have to say, when it came time to fire up my snowblower, I did feel a bit sheepish driving to the gas station in my Tesla and then pulling out and filling the little gallon can. Took days for the gasoline stank to fade out of the car. :(

First time I touched gas since October 2018 was the other day- had to fill-up the lawn mower. I felt like I was cheating on my car. :(

What is the cost of electricity for charging? do you get a cheap overnight rate as we do here on a time of use plan?
It's a little complex as there is standing charge and then the price per kWh; and each supplier offers a number of different rates.

We do have Economy 7 which is cheap night time electricity, but you have to specifically request that tariff from your supplier as most are the same price 24/7.

This site has some useful answers on current prices:
Compare Energy Prices Per kWh | Gas & Electric Per Unit | UKPower

Each energy supplier will set its own rate, but figures from the Energy Savings Trust show that standing charges for electricity are usually around 20p per day, although you may be charged between 5p and 60p per day.

12 to 13p per kWh is the average amount for electricity. Annual standing charges vary from £70 to £140 depending on tariffs.

Side note: Most houses will not have any special plugs in the garage. All plugs will be standard 3 pin, 13 amp, 220-240 volts. You'd have to install a charger of some sort.

Last edited:
Reactions: gilscales
The problem with requesting a dual tariff is that they then give you a higher day rate than the 24hr tariff.
I've already worked out if it would be cheaper for me to convert to dual tariff when I get my Model 3 and unless I was fully charging it every other day (which I won't be) it's cheaper to stick with the current tariff which is the same day and night.

I'm not too worried as a fill up for my BMW currently costs me about £70 but the Model 3 should cost about £5 to charge to 80%.

Get a battery snowblower. No more gas/mixing/winterizing/priming/pulling/etc.

FWIW, I've got a battery-powered lawnmower. I used to have a corded electric lawnmower that came with my house. (The lawnmower looked like a refugee from the 1970s.) It eventually died, so I got an EGO, which has been much better. There's very little vibration, no fumes, no going to the gas station to get gas, etc. The main problem is that the battery might not be that robust; it seems to drain quickly when not used, so I need to charge it shortly before mowing the lawn.

Reactions: Runnergirl
Get a battery snowblower. No more gas/mixing/winterizing/priming/pulling/etc.

FWIW, I've got a battery-powered lawnmower. I used to have a corded electric lawnmower that came with my house. (The lawnmower looked like a refugee from the 1970s.) It eventually died, so I got an EGO, which has been much better. There's very little vibration, no fumes, no going to the gas station to get gas, etc. The main problem is that the battery might not be that robust; it seems to drain quickly when not used, so I need to charge it shortly before mowing the lawn.
Likely getting a whole EGO setup soon as well. (lawnmower, snowblower, all the accessories) Any other brands to consider or are they still the best as far as battery lawnmowers and snowblowers?

Some irony: I’ve driven EV’s since acquiring my 2012 Nissan LEAF back in February of that year, greatly reducing my exposure to gas stations. Since last July, I’ve had my Model 3 and eliminated gas stations from my life. Now I find that to really, really clean my vehicles (still have the LEAF) I need a foam cannon. I do have a gasoline pressure washer so no big deal and I use it for lots of cleaning around the house. Electric pressure washers are available and getting stronger, but so far do not exceed about 1900psi, hence the gasser for me. So now I have to go to the gas station to get fuel to clean my EV. Oh the horror!

Do the high fuel taxes result in dramatically better maintained roads or public transportation? Also, do you pay surcharge for annual registration since you don’t pay fuel taxes? Here is GA we get screwed and pay a surcharge that assumed we are driving 20k miles per year in a car that gets 15 miles/gallon.
Of course not.

I always say I'll be happy to pay higher road taxes once ICE vehicles properly pay for their extra CO2 emissions.