Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not upgrading to 40.50.7...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I called Support to inquire why my car (S75D - Sept 2017) is stuck on 40.2.1. I was watching as this update was downloading early December and it got stuck on 50% download. The next morning I went to the car to find out if the download was successful only to find that it had installed itself - without my acceptance to proceed! At least that's what I thought at the time. The home page of the MCU shows 40.2.1 as the firmware, but....

Now it's mid January and no further updates since then. It appears Tesla has forgotten me even though I have Advance selected for updates (And have had for quite some time). I believe that the 40.2.1 was corrupted and as such the car is not accepting any newer updates. The Support person believes something is wrong as well. I am still waiting for the service center to intervene by checking the diagnostics.

I also asked about being updated to HW3. I paid for FSD when I bought the car and have a difficult time seeing that much newer cars are being prioritized over mine (now 2 yrs 4 months and still waiting). Support says this is out of their hands as the engineers are designating the VIN numbers to be updated. I can't understand why they don't simply use the oldest vins first. Is there any way to contact corporate to plead such a case?

This morning I called Support to inquire why my car (S75D - Sept 2017) is stuck on 40.2.1. I was watching as this update was downloading early December and it got stuck on 50% download. The next morning I went to the car to find out if the download was successful only to find that it had installed itself - without my acceptance to proceed! At least that's what I thought at the time. The home page of the MCU shows 40.2.1 as the firmware, but....

Now it's mid January and no further updates since then. It appears Tesla has forgotten me even though I have Advance selected for updates (And have had for quite some time). I believe that the 40.2.1 was corrupted and as such the car is not accepting any newer updates. The Support person believes something is wrong as well. I am still waiting for the service center to intervene by checking the diagnostics.

I also asked about being updated to HW3. I paid for FSD when I bought the car and have a difficult time seeing that much newer cars are being prioritized over mine (now 2 yrs 4 months and still waiting). Support says this is out of their hands as the engineers are designating the VIN numbers to be updated. I can't understand why they don't simply use the oldest vins first. Is there any way to contact corporate to plead such a case?
I suspect all of us with MCU1, HW2.5 will be waiting awhile for the next update. For the most part what I'm seeing on Teslafi only the MCU2 / HW2.5 and above have received the newer FW update past 40.2.*

The older your car is, the longer you have to wait. Don’t waste ur time and their time for this.

Unless there is a significant technical issue that would justify this approach, I can't see the logic of prioritizing newer cars first. If there is such a technical issue, Tesla should be upfront to explain that. I get the feeling that I will be complaining about this the day I turn the car in for a newer vehicle of some sort. And, I'm sure Tesla would fight all the way not to refund that money.

Reactions: croman and StarLog
Unless there is a significant technical issue that would justify this approach, I can't see the logic of prioritizing newer cars first. If there is such a technical issue, Tesla should be upfront to explain that. I get the feeling that I will be complaining about this the day I turn the car in for a newer vehicle of some sort. And, I'm sure Tesla would fight all the way not to refund that money.

No MCU1 car has this update yet. Not one. So you’re in good company.

As for why they prioritize newer cars over older - MCU2 cars outnumber MCU1 cars by about a 5:1 ratio now. It’s just common sense.

There are so many threads on this topic on TMC and on the Facebook user forums. Here is the summary as far as I understand.

MCU1 with AP2 to HW3 or FSD Computer - Upgrades will happen, but none so far as there are compatibilities issues that Tesla is working on.
MCU1 with AP2.5 to HW3 or FSD Computer - Upgrades will happen, but none so far as there are compatibilities issues that Tesla is working on.

MCU2 with AP 2.5 to HW3 or FSD Computer - This are occurring right now, but only when VINs pop up.

Now for us MCU1 users, we can hope that Tesla will figure out the compatibilities issues. If they don't then not too sure what will happen. Maybe

(1) They will offer us MCU2 retrofit.
(2) They will refund the price we paid for FSD software and we will NOT get the HW3/FSD Computer upgrade
(3) or something else maybe.

Note: The reason we know that there are compatibilities issues with MCU1 and HW3/FSD Computer, because there is a thread here on TMC where an owner went in for the upgrade, and it failed to work, so Tesla has to revert back. I don't have a link but you can search for it on TMC. We also know that the message from Tesla Service is the same, that when they bring up your VIN on the new software they use in service, there is no bullet for "upgrade to FSD Computer now available" for our select vehicle.

They will not refund anything.

They don't care anymore, they already have your money. Way more MCU2/AP2.5/AP3 owners anyway and Tesla has to prioritize.

I don't think it's a technical issue.

Lol. Welcome to mcu1 ownership. Dont expect an update for a while. Also you won't sniff hw3 for another 2 years if your lucky.

Hey I am not trying to contradict whatever Elon or others are saying relative to MCU1 Upgrade and compatibility with older Model S.
But you all are aware the infamous GREEN dude on twitter has confirmed that he bought an MCU2 for an MCU1 car and he did the retrofit himself and in his words the hardware was plug N play. However, the software part to initialize the retrofit was tricky.
So my point is if that guy can do this, by finding parts via EBAY and do it yourself, i see more and more people trying this once the initial limited warranty runs out.

Hey I am not trying to contradict whatever Elon or others are saying relative to MCU1 Upgrade and compatibility with older Model S.
But you all are aware the infamous GREEN dude on twitter has confirmed that he bought an MCU2 for an MCU1 car and he did the retrofit himself and in his words the hardware was plug N play. However, the software part to initialize the retrofit was tricky.
So my point is if that guy can do this, by finding parts via EBAY and do it yourself, i see more and more people trying this once the initial limited warranty runs out.

Elon was referring to the upgrade to AP HW3 in his tweet. MCU2 upgrade as shown by green is fairly simple, but Tesla won't do it. Many reasons why listed below.

1. They want you to buy a new car instead
2. When your MCU1 dies bc of EMMC failure, they can charge you $2500 for a refurbished MCU1 worth $1000. Higher profit
3. They want you to buy a new car

I imagine in 2-3 years when there are more salvaged MCU2's available third parties will begin to offer it as a retrofit service. At that point Tesla will either offer the upgrade themselves or blacklist cars from supercharging and updates that do the upgrades themselves.

Viper2k thanks for the prompt response, I think you are right the emphasis is to buy a new car. In three years I will have another model s probably 2020 build which will have all the things I missing now. But if aftermarket folks are selling retrofits by then, I am sure someone will figure out a way to do OTA updates manually..... has been done before on many other smart devices.