Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notable change in 17.34 (folding mirror routines)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found one definitive notable change in 17.34. The folding mirror routines have changed.

The mirrors used to be able to be folded at any time with no restriction, and stay folded. This has changed. Now you can only fold them when below 10MPH, and if they are already folded when you start moving, they automatically unfold at 10MPH. Also, the mirrors used to unfold when you opened the door. Now they unfold when you unlock the car.

Note that, since receiving my car, it always stated in the manual that the mirrors would automatically unfold upon reaching 25MPH, and that you could not fold them at speeds in excess of 25MPH (even though that was never the case). The owner's manual in the car has now been modified to state 10MPH and that they unfold when unlocking.

Personally, I don't care so much about the change in automatic unfolding at speed, the lockout of folding at speed, or the speed at which this happens.
What I do not like though, is that the mirrors are now unfolding and folding every time I walk by my car, or I go to retrieve something from my car, or worse yet: I fold them to summon into a tight spot, and then when I get back they unfold as the car unlocks.

My mirrors always unfolded/folded on unlock/lock even before this update (at least in the X). Did require the doors to open.

Never tried to fold the mirrors while driving Why would you? Generally curious.

Also, the mirrors used to unfold when you opened the door. Now they unfold when you unlock the car.
This is a problem, because it limits where I can park. I used to be able to fold my mirrors and fit into a tight spot in a parking garage next to a concrete column. Summon then allowed me to pull the car clear of the obstacle before opening the door. Now I don't dare park there, because just approaching the car would unfold the mirror and scrape it against the concrete. (To be fair, I could probably just turn off the auto-folding setting, but I keep forgetting about it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyG
Yeah, just got the update yesterday and this change is already annoying me. Went out to the garage and was squeezing by the car with the key in my pocket when the mirrors unfolded and I about got caught on it as I was going by. Certainly is an issue when parked in a tight location and having the mirrors unfold before you get in.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I would have thought they would add an option so people can choose how the mirrors operate. On my Nissan Qashqai you can choose between fold/unfold with locks, or fold on lock and unfold on engine start so they dont pop out every time you go in the boot for something.

I strongly agree that unfolding the mirrors when approaching car is a really stupid idea. In fact, I'd prefer that the mirrors would stay folded when you open a door (especially non-driver doors). IMO, they should stay folded until the first time you push the brake pedal (to put the car in gear). After all, how long does it take for the mirrors to unfold?

I also think that it would be good if the door handles on the S could be set to only present when the car is NOT parked in your garage or driveway (so they don't cycle whenever you go near the car). The handles have a high failure rate and are really expensive to fix out of warranty.

Yesterday, I read in another thread that some people in California fold in their mirrors when driving on the highway to avoid getting hit by lane splitting motorcycles. Sounds unwise and possibly illegal to me.

I have never seen that once on a CA highway... I owned and rode a harley up until very recently and while I've seen a lot of absurd behavior from various drivers through the years, I've never passed a car with their side mirrors folded in, FWIW... :)

Jeff

How does this "bug report" work? I've heard it mentioned a couple of times.
It's in the manual, under the section titled "Using Voice Commands":
Note: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" followed by your brief comments. Model S takes a snapshot of its systems, including screen captures of the touchscreen and instrument panel. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: jjh1234
How does this "bug report" work? I've heard it mentioned a couple of times.
From all reports it works by giving you the opportunity to get something off your chest and feel good about it, and it gives them the opportunity to toss your input in the bit bucket. Win win!

I'm not sure this accurately describes what they do, but I've never heard of anybody seeing anything useful ever come of it.