TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NRMA to build Australia's largest fast charging network

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by baillies, Oct 21, 2017.

1. houdini

houdini Member

The bit of the video where she fakes plugging in the CCS cable to the Outlander PHEV cracked me up :)

• Funny x 1
  2. alexeiw123

alexeiw123 Member

I've passed it on.

• Like x 2
  3. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I emailed NRMA to ask what plug type would be used. They replied with the encouraging news that it would be the "universal" plug.

• Funny x 1
  4. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Yes, the new DC at Glendale shopping centre in newcastle cannot reach the charge port of my Model S, regardless of whether I go in forward or backward.

• Informative x 1
  5. GenEQ

GenEQ Member

I have the same problem but most the time I visit this site is during the weekends or after hours. I usually park in the spot in front of the designated charging space. One weekend there was a concert or some event on in SOP and the space was Ice'd. The unfortunate vehicle had a curly piece of paper on the wipers.

6. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Went there today, they've installed the long cable version but charger had red error lights, gave it a reboot but no luck. Have reported this to the centre management.

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Thanks for letting me know. Glad to see they're actually working on it though.

8. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Went to a meeting with NRMA and the Australian Electric Vehicle Association in Sydney last night where NRMA answered a whole heap of questions from locations, signage, technical, future plans, etc. Two of the 40+ chargers are already under construction in Newcastle and Jindabyne expected to open soon.

I put together an article with the details: NRMA’s Electric Vehicle DC fast charging network - Drive Zero

• Informative x 5
  9. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Jindabyne DC Fast Charger now showing on NRMA Map as being installed at the NRMA Jindabyne Holiday Park. Seems to be a placeholder icon at the moment, but have heard things saying it's expected to be live within days.

Electric Vehicle Chargers | Member Benefits | The NRMA

• Informative x 1
  10. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Nice, I was just planning a snow trip. Gotta get a ChaDeMo adapter tho :-(

11. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Newcastle location has now been added and seems to be live? The Jindabyne location has also had it's location updated and also seems to be live?

Newcastle Location is corner of Nelson and Kemp Streets, Wallsend.
    Jindabyne Location is corner of Kalkite Street and Snowy River Ave.

Electric Vehicle Chargers | Member Benefits | The NRMA

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  12. garyjac

garyjac Member

Can reciprocal Auto CLub members (e.g. RACQ) use these chargers on the same terms as NRMA members?

13. Jays200

Jays200 Member

How are the stations activated? Does NRMA send out RFID tags? NRMA website and links don't seem to answer these questions.

14. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

The current plan is to use the NRMA app to start charging so you don't need a physical RFID card, which is a bit restrictive and allows someone who's just rocked up to download the app and get going in 5 minutes. If you're an NRMA member, charging will be free, if you're not, you'll be charged per kWh. As the network is in its infancy, all chargers are currently open and free to use till the network and backend is commissioned. I raised the issue of a comms or IT outage with NRMA and they said they will set the chargers to default unlock in the event of a comms failure so we're not affected by a IT outage.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Cool. I just had my 19 year old son sign up to NRMA on their 0$ for 12 months plan as we're driving Perth-Sydney in our MX in four weeks and wanted to hedge our bets.

Can you pls link to a page for the info you mentioned above?

Ta

Jays

16. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

There's only 3 NRMA chargers currently operational and I know for a fact they're all currently open and free for anyone to pull up and plug in (their sydney charger has been like that for 12 months). The information was given to me at an info session with the project manager from NRMA who is in charge of the rollout, I wrote a summary article from that info session here: NRMA’s Electric Vehicle DC fast charging network - Drive Zero

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  17. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

sooo - carry your own Faraday cage :D

18. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I’m assuming you need your own chademo adapter?

19. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

Yes, or borrow TOCA's

20. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

If you can actually find it - seems a little elusive. Given the number of CHAdeMO coming along, you're better off with your own anyhow.