Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NRMA to build EV fast charging network | The NRMA

$10 million for 40 chargers (~$250K each) seems like a lot, any idea what WA, QLD or SA works out as? I don’t think Tesla superchargers cost this much but they put more chargers per site which must be cheaper.

Edit: related report https://www.mynrma.com.au/-/media/documents/advocacy/the-future-is-electric.pdf?la=en

The bit of the video where she fakes plugging in the CCS cable to the Outlander PHEV cracked me up :)

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq
Angle parking is also a problem, especially if combined with a narrow one-way street so there's no room to turn the car around and reverse in, leading to desperation parking like this (in Dunsborough)

9052073190951066414%253Faccount_id%253D1

Somehow people make the assumption that all EVs have charge-ports in the same place, despite that not being the case with fuel fillers in fossil cars!
Yes, the new DC at Glendale shopping centre in newcastle cannot reach the charge port of my Model S, regardless of whether I go in forward or backward.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
I'm using it right now with the Chademo adapter. The cable won't reach without pulling into the space in front a bit which isn't marked as a charging space. It meant getting as close as possible to the car in front without touching it.
I have the same problem but most the time I visit this site is during the weekends or after hours. I usually park in the spot in front of the designated charging space. One weekend there was a concert or some event on in SOP and the space was Ice'd. The unfortunate vehicle had a curly piece of paper on the wipers.

Went to a meeting with NRMA and the Australian Electric Vehicle Association in Sydney last night where NRMA answered a whole heap of questions from locations, signage, technical, future plans, etc. Two of the 40+ chargers are already under construction in Newcastle and Jindabyne expected to open soon.

I put together an article with the details: NRMA’s Electric Vehicle DC fast charging network - Drive Zero

How are the stations activated? Does NRMA send out RFID tags? NRMA website and links don't seem to answer these questions.

The current plan is to use the NRMA app to start charging so you don't need a physical RFID card, which is a bit restrictive and allows someone who's just rocked up to download the app and get going in 5 minutes. If you're an NRMA member, charging will be free, if you're not, you'll be charged per kWh. As the network is in its infancy, all chargers are currently open and free to use till the network and backend is commissioned. I raised the issue of a comms or IT outage with NRMA and they said they will set the chargers to default unlock in the event of a comms failure so we're not affected by a IT outage.

Cool. I just had my 19 year old son sign up to NRMA on their 0$ for 12 months plan as we're driving Perth-Sydney in our MX in four weeks and wanted to hedge our bets.

Can you pls link to a page for the info you mentioned above?

Ta

Jays

There's only 3 NRMA chargers currently operational and I know for a fact they're all currently open and free for anyone to pull up and plug in (their sydney charger has been like that for 12 months). The information was given to me at an info session with the project manager from NRMA who is in charge of the rollout, I wrote a summary article from that info session here: NRMA’s Electric Vehicle DC fast charging network - Drive Zero

The current plan is to use the NRMA app to start charging so you don't need a physical RFID card, which is a bit restrictive and allows someone who's just rocked up to download the app and get going in 5 minutes. If you're an NRMA member, charging will be free, if you're not, you'll be charged per kWh. As the network is in its infancy, all chargers are currently open and free to use till the network and backend is commissioned. I raised the issue of a comms or IT outage with NRMA and they said they will set the chargers to default unlock in the event of a comms failure so we're not affected by a IT outage.
sooo - carry your own Faraday cage :D