Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observed public perception of the Model 3 being the inferior budget model coming from 2 Tesla family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, 10% of people think of the model 3 as the "cheap Tesla". These tend to be model S/X owners. 90% of people think of the model 3 as "WOW a Tesla, how can you afford that!" These tend to be people who have no specific familiarity with Tesla other than a high priced electric car that is not good for long trips. This allows me to educate in a casual conversation.

Exactly.

In the end, I don't care about the opinion of anyone who isn't paying for my car but if I can make someone a bit less ignorant, why not?

I mention to one of my family members that I am awaiting for my Model 3 hopefully arriving sometime next month. The first question was, it a big car? The size wise in length and width is just minor compare to what I am currently driving. Maybe 2 inches shorter but the model 3 is a few inches wider. So I just said it's a smaller car. The response I got was why paid that much for a small car. What a waste of money. I was a little offended but I didn't want to debate about why. I know exactly what I am getting into. I have over 2 years researching, listening to every pod cast, watch every youtube there is out there, read every articles there is about Tesla. Picking up over 200 shares of Tesla stocks. I like to say that i am pretty informed. I've done all my calculation and homework. If everything plays out, I am getting into a Model 3 for 45K after all taxes saving. Didn't buy EAP (bummer). So I am looking at ~ 45K after tax saving. With fuel cost and maintenance saving, it's a great deal.

I choose to let my action speak for itself. I hope the next 5 yrs of ownership and can tell everyone that I spent next to nothing on maintenance. I can also tell everyone I am paying 1/3 the price on electricity over gas.

Long term saving wise. It's a bargain not to mention the performance I am getting.

I have a say big media did a great job on public perception on EV. I hope Model 3 for the mass can change everyone mind set.

Reactions: Brando and ggies07
My experience is that the people who have to make themselves feel better about spending a $100+ on an S or an X usually talk derogatorily about a 3 “Oh, that’s the cheap one right?” Everyone else looks at the 3 as an equal member of the Tesla family. It’s the people insecure about spending that much money who usually make comments.

My wife works at a hospital and one doctor in particular has an S for his wife. He is aware that we are getting a 3 and he made a comment about it being the cheap one. Yet, he bought an early S 40kwh which was cheaper that my 3.

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
I’m always blunt and pretty real so here is my comment… Who gives a crap what anybody else’s opinion is?? If you love the car that’s all that matters.

In principle I agree but man you got some fugly EVs out there.

BMW i3 - cockroach with bicycle wheels
Bolt - Honda Fit that got rear ended
Fiat - something dr Seuss would design
Leafs - frog with a big butt
IMievs - Just no
Anything Ford - creativity of a pbj sandwich
Smart car - road coffins

One of the appeals of the Model 3 is you don’t mind being caught dead driving it.

That’s a seriously understated plus trying to cross shop.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Lobstahz and N5329K
My experience is that the people who have to make themselves feel better about spending a $100+ on an S or an X usually talk derogatorily about a 3 “Oh, that’s the cheap one right?” Everyone else looks at the 3 as an equal member of the Tesla family. It’s the people insecure about spending that much money who usually make comments.

My wife works at a hospital and one doctor in particular has an S for his wife. He is aware that we are getting a 3 and he made a comment about it being the cheap one. Yet, he bought an early S 40kwh which was cheaper that my 3.
I'm a doctor, so I'll chime in.

The colleagues I have told about the car are usually just enthusiastic to varying degrees but occasionally I see in their expressions that they think I spent $100k. In those cases I smile and say "Not THAT Tesla -- the ghetto model *" They just guffaw and ask about the car.

Context helps. I work at an IHS hospital on the Navajo reservation and most of the physicians live nearby in VERY modest housing. Dilapidated, to be honest.

Same here, at my work there were several sign up sheets for Model 3 rides.

I didn't want to be tempted to buy the S. After my configuration, I decided to sign up for a test drive in a model S 100D. Holy cow was it fast.

I know the M3 will not be fast as the model s but the experience is amazing. I am sure if anyone who is in the market of buying a car and has a budget of ~ 40K, the Model 3 should one taken into consideration.

Reactions: SageBrush

I really don't think that is the case. I don't think S & X owner will do that. So what if they think like that, who cares. You might live a better life than they do. Maybe they don't know how to describe or differentiate model 3 and be easier just to say it's the cheaper version.

I really don't think that is the case. I don't think S & X owner will do that. So what if they think like that, who cares. You might live a better life than they do. Maybe they don't know how to describe or differentiate model 3 and be easier just to say it's the cheaper version.

I’m not implying that all S and X owners are like this just the ones that feel their superiority is being affected by the the unwashed masses purchasing a Tesla. Most S and X owners are totally cool. It just takes a few bad apples.

To be completely clear I couldn’t care less about the comments. I just wanted to add my experience.

I’m not implying that all S and X owners are like this just the ones that feel their superiority is being affected by the the unwashed masses purchasing a Tesla. Most S and X owners are totally cool. It just takes a few bad apples.

To be completely clear I couldn’t care less about the comments. I just wanted to add my experience.
The unwashed masses haven't been invited to configure. Tesla isn't building their car yet.
Robin

• Funny
Reactions: Quickstart88
In principle I agree but man you got some fugly EVs out there.

BMW i3 - cockroach with bicycle wheels
Bolt - Honda Fit that got rear ended
Fiat - something dr Seuss would design
Leafs - frog with a big butt
IMievs - Just no
Anything Ford - creativity of a pbj sandwich
Smart car - road coffins

One of the appeals of the Model 3 is you don’t mind being caught dead driving it.
Speaking of road coffins (40,000 deaths per year 2016/2017)
Most dangerous time 3pm-7pm
Most dangerous days Friday, Saturday, Sunday

You may find other details interesting (biggest isn't always the safest, for example)
just 7 pages
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety : Highway Loss Data Institute
http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr5203.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing