Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone whose car immediately charges but doesn't stop when plugging in, I can confirm that stopping within seconds via the Tesla app has worked every time for me & IO charges to the correct schedule (provided that IO was already activated in the Octopus app prior to connecting charge point to car).

Octopus have continued to investigate why IO is never able to stop my car from charging once plugged in but this fix is no hassle for me & avoids even the short peak rate charge which IO creates for others.
I had tried stopping mine, and it restarts randomly, since disconnecting the car from the Ohme app it’s looking better however

Are there specific chargers compatible with IO? I'm getting a Hypervolt installed towards the end of the month.

I'm set to switch to Octopus on the 12th and I'll ask them to put me on the IO tariff as I know that in itself may take some time.
I don’t believe there are yet. After speaking to Ohme the Ocopus developers are working with them to get the Ohme app to work with it, but nothings done yet.
As soon as i had my online account confirming the switch, I went to my new online account and applied for octopus, the day after the switch to octopus they confirmed I was on it.

Reactions: NSS89
I don’t believe there are yet. After speaking to Ohme the Ocopus developers are working with them to get the Ohme app to work with it, but nothings done yet.
As soon as i had my online account confirming the switch, I went to my new online account and applied for octopus, the day after the switch to octopus they confirmed I was on it.

I thought about trying that but when I login to my account I can't see any options to change tariff etc

I had tried stopping mine, and it restarts randomly, since disconnecting the car from the Ohme app it’s looking better however

Quick update since I disconnected my Tesla account from the Ohme app......

Now when I plug in the charger after 5pm the car charges for around 1 minute then stops, doesn't restart.
Also, with Octopus the car does sleep when it is left plugged in, but once you unplug, it does poll the car and seem to keep it awake.
Going to do some more testing on this, it may be I have to turn off smart charging in the morning.

Looking at TeslaMate, it appears the car sleeps for an hour, then IO must poll the car and it stays awake for 13-15 minutes then it goes back to sleep again.

Looking at TeslaMate, it appears the car sleeps for an hour, then IO must poll the car and it stays awake for 13-15 minutes then it goes back to sleep again.
Yep, we're all getting this behaviour now. It's changed since the Tesla API outage a few weeks ago. IO have definitely had to alter something on their side which has caused this. Previously, if the car was plugged in it would sleep normally. I've written to them to explain the behaviour.

The constant wake behaviour in an unplugged car has always been there.

Reactions: Ben_Sh
Hi all, having been with octopus go for the last couple of years I’m looking at switching to intelligent, especially now my model y is listed and it appears to work with our podpoint. The only fly in the ointment is my wife still wants to charge her xc40 hybrid some nights, which I believe won’t work with intelligent.
Would a work around be to just granny charge her Volvo using our external 13amp point during the cheap hours (it’s only a 10kw battery) and keep the podpoint purely for the model y? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks! Ben

Hi all, having been with octopus go for the last couple of years I’m looking at switching to intelligent, especially now my model y is listed and it appears to work with our podpoint. The only fly in the ointment is my wife still wants to charge her xc40 hybrid some nights, which I believe won’t work with intelligent.
Would a work around be to just granny charge her Volvo using our external 13amp point during the cheap hours (it’s only a 10kw battery) and keep the podpoint purely for the model y? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks! Ben
Yes, of course

IO will work with volvo... Just disable IO within app and it becomes as dumb charger with off-peak 11:30 - 5:30 time

IO will work with volvo... Just disable IO within app and it becomes as dumb charger with off-peak 11:30 - 5:30 time
You don’t need to disable IO as you always get the 11:30-5:30. Just switch on scheduling on the podpoint app on those occasions you want to charge another BEV such as the Volvo and plug in any time before hand.

Just set IO up, 2 simple questions, do I get the discounted rate for other appliances between 11:30-5:30 ie dishwasher, washing machine etc?

How do people cope with a partner needing access to IO, ie to turn on bump charge if I was away and the car needed charging? Can I add a 2nd person to the Octopus account?

Just set IO up, 2 simple questions, do I get the discounted rate for other appliances between 11:30-5:30 ie dishwasher, washing machine etc?
yes. also in any slots IO schedules outside of this range.

How do people cope with a partner needing access to IO, ie to turn on bump charge if I was away and the car needed charging? Can I add a 2nd person to the Octopus account?
just log them in on their phone with your credentials.

Yeah it's a slight ballache but not terrible. I've been on IO for six months now, and it's just part of my everyday routine to switch off IO smart charging when I unplug and I'm not using it. That stops the API polling. The minor inconvenience is certainly outweighed by the six (and sometimes seven, eight or nine hours of off-peak it gives me).

The devs are aware, not sure how much effort they are putting in to fixing it. The unofficial nature of the Tesla API doesn't really help.