Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try again to explain how the tariff works using my schedule for tonight.

My battery is currently at 62% and I need to charge to 100% tonight for a trip.
View attachment 772615

Some points to note here:
1) IO has scheduled the charging over a total of 5.5 hours. Adding 38% in this time sounds reasonable.
2) The car charging scheduled is independent of the 23:30-05:30 off peak rates. You always get that period which you can use all through your house for washing, tumble drying, charging up other batteries etc.
3) Notice that IO has also scheduled a charge slot starting at 22:30-23:00. This will also be off-peak for the car charge and through the whole house.

(2) is good to know
(3) - does this mean effecitvely that there is only upside to the off-peak. In the occasions, perhaps not that often, that it chooses an earlier window then you're automatically shifting more load to off-peak so your overall house bill will go slightly down. So its an effective minimum 6 hour off peak, possibly more.

(2) is good to know
(3) - does this mean effecitvely that there is only upside to the off-peak. In the occasions, perhaps not that often, that it chooses an earlier window then you're automatically shifting more load to off-peak so your overall house bill will go slightly down. So its an effective minimum 6 hour off peak, possibly more.
Yes 2 hours longer than the go tariff and possibly more if it decides it. The only problem I see when I go on it next month is I don’t use my appliances overnight (no timers on the dishwasher etc) so my 8.30 start rate at the moment is better for that. I am probably getting more benefit from the house from my go faster hours being 8.30 until 1.30.

Exactly. I've found that extra off-peak slots are actually scheduled pretty frequently.

Reactions: Mrklaw
is this reliable? Have a model 3 and a Zappi, and for me the intelligent rates for my area are identical to my 'new' go rates (30p peak, ouch; 7.5p off peak) but 6 hours off peak vs 4, and starting an hour earlier.
Unfortunately, for me there's no 'good' option. My GoFaster starts at 20:30 at the moment, so we get a good chunk of normal household usage in the evening off peak hours. Losing that time coupled with the almost tripling of my daytime rate is going to hit hard. I still can't decide which is the best option for me at the moment.

Unfortunately, for me there's no 'good' option. My GoFaster starts at 20:30 at the moment, so we get a good chunk of normal household usage in the evening off peak hours. Losing that time coupled with the almost tripling of my daytime rate is going to hit hard. I still can't decide which is the best option for me at the moment.
Any of the GO or IO options are surely better than getting put onto the April SVR of around 28-29p per kw all the time rate? IO works great for us as we are lucky enough to have white goods that can be timed to start overnight. Plus you get the occasional extra off peak slots. Unfortunately the days of super cheap off peak are well over!

That’s exactly my predicament. Plus hubby works from home so the daytime rate being high will make a big difference. The problem is the standard tariffs are no better really at the moment

I did, hence why I clearly said I knew about the 1 vehicle rule and it only being compatible with Tesla for now. I wasn’t asking what their official blurb said, I was asking if there was a way around it for two vehicles, from people who may be in the same boat and who are currently doing the same.
Sorry, I thought this was a forum to help, discuss, and pass on knowledge to others. I didn’t see smart arse reply forum in the title?!
My post wasn’t directed at you.

Have you had your renewal email yet? If not you might have slipped through the net and get your current rates for another year.

My post wasn’t directed at you.
Ok no problem.
You’d just said in your original post about looking at your link would’ve given us the answer’s. (Answer’s rather than answer, as in more than one question.) As the other person had only asked one question, I thought you were referring to both of us.
Anyway, apologies if you didn’t mean it that way.
Main thing is that some good points have come out regarding IO, so everyone’s a winner.👍🏼😊

Reactions: ACarneiro
Have you had your renewal email yet? If not you might have slipped through the net and get your current rates for another year.

@Kansalis you might want to chance your arm and keep quiet. There is an active thread on the Octopus forums now which seems to be suggesting that although Go renewals were fixed to stop people rolling on to their old rates, Go Faster wasn't necessarily fixed and people have been renewing on their old tariff.

yes for 12 months

thanks. Website still didn't let me switch despite me calling them and the CS person emailing after to say give it a try now. But the app did let me, and I've gone through the steps. (In hindsight should have waited until closer to my end date..)

Nothing in the app looks like I can charge the car so assume once that switches over it'll magically appear? And I leave the zappi on 'fast' and the tesla will refuse a charge until the octopus app tells it to?

How does it handle superchargers and other rapids/granny chargers when out and about? Do I need to do anything to let the car take a charge

So one day in and IO gave me loads of charging slots yesterday, started at 1030pm and last one was 7-730am!

It only created a schedule with these extra times once the car was plugged in, so if I don't plug the car in, do I only get off peak rates from 2330-0530 each day?

cheers,

Greg

thanks. Website still didn't let me switch despite me calling them and the CS person emailing after to say give it a try now. But the app did let me, and I've gone through the steps. (In hindsight should have waited until closer to my end date..)

Nothing in the app looks like I can charge the car so assume once that switches over it'll magically appear? And I leave the zappi on 'fast' and the tesla will refuse a charge until the octopus app tells it to?

How does it handle superchargers and other rapids/granny chargers when out and about? Do I need to do anything to let the car take a charge
When does your current deal finish?