Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car usually starts charging immediately after you plug it in for a couple minutes until it is detected by IO and stopped. Or you can manually stop charge from the Tesla app immediately after you plug in to be mindful of those precious kWh on peak £££.
Then the smart charging plan is created and in the event IO gives you slots outside of the 23.30-05.30 period IO will instruct the car to resume charge again.
I suggest setting the limit to 100% on IO and limiting through the regular Tesla app. IO will not charge above what is set on the Tesla app.
Many thanks👍

Just set departure off peak charging to on and 5:30. It won’t start charging when plugged in and IO will still control everything.
Thanks for posting this. It seemed counterintuitive to me, but this setup works perfectly and has done for the last week.

For anyone else, here’s is my routine.
In-car limit set to 80%
Octopus app set to 100%, 7am depart
Plug-in to Zappi (fast mode) after 5pm - it fires up and says ‘charging delayed’ (doesn’t start charging).
Optional: check octo app 15 mins later (I have a slot till 0630 tomorrow)
Mandatory: wake up and feel a sense of smugness.

That sounds worth a try. I’m 99% happy with mine but am keen to find a more trusty way of not having to check after setting it running (two nights ago I plugged in after 5, the charge port flashed blue then went off, so was suspended I though, but caught it having a cheeky peak rate charge 5 mins later!).

The only thing I don’t get on the above statement (Skie) is where you say to set it to end at 05.30 on the Tesla app. Doesn’t this stop you from charging earlier than if IO gives you a slot starting at say 10pm, or late and going until 06.30, for example? Or as you say; IO will still control everything? (They seem keen to point out they won’t override any Tesla settings).
Thanks

Edit: so to add/confirm, currently on the Tesla app under schedule, I have nothing enabled under departure or charge.

Last edited:
2 reasons why you wouldn't run this over-charge strategy in the IO and set the schedule in the car:

1. You will get slots that are not optimum for the IO algorithm to balance the grid/choose lowest carbon etc.
2. You will potentially miss additional off peak slots that are scheduled because your car has reached it's in-car max % early.

Reactions: Toblerone
The only thing I don’t get on the above statement (Skie) is where you say to set it to end at 05.30 on the Tesla app. Doesn’t this stop you from charging earlier than if IO gives you a slot starting at say 10pm, or late and going until 06.30, for example? Or as you say; IO will still control everything? (They seem keen to point out they won’t override any Tesla settings).
Thanks

Edit: so to add/confirm, currently on the Tesla app under schedule, I have nothing enabled under departure or charge.
The way I think it works is if the Car / Tesla app is set to ‘Off-peak’ charge it wont automatically start charging when you plug-in during the evening.

Then Octo sets the schedule and when ready triggers the charge, at which point the car does what it is told.

Now maybe the car wouldn’t charge after 0530 (not had this scenario since I made the setting), but I suspect it would do what it is told.
It is being given a command to charge, just like when you click ‘start charging’ yourself in the tesla app.

Here are my Tesla app ‘Schedule’ settings and the charge I received last night (shown in Tessie app).

1664871846294.jpeg

You can ignore the departure/precondition settings. Just enable off-peak, all week, and set 0530 as the end time.

Charge events last night:
1664871928087.png

I’ll let you know if I don’t ever make the 80% target in the car by 0700.

• Love
Reactions: Skie and _Dave_
The way I think it works is if the Car / Tesla app is set to ‘Off-peak’ charge it wont automatically start charging when you plug-in during the evening.

Then Octo sets the schedule and when ready triggers the charge, at which point the car does what it is told.

Now maybe the car wouldn’t charge after 0530 (not had this scenario since I made the setting), but I suspect it would do what it is told.
It is being given a command to charge, just like when you click ‘start charging’ yourself in the tesla app.

Here are my Tesla app ‘Schedule’ settings and the charge I received last night (shown in Tessie app).

View attachment 859779
You can ignore the departure/precondition settings. Just enable off-peak, all week, and set 0530 as the end time.

Charge events last night:
View attachment 859780

I’ll let you know if I don’t ever make the 80% target in the car by 0700.

Thanks, that's great, will be really good to confirm if it would charge after 5.30am in this setup.
Like you, my car has almost always finished by before then, but will be good to know for the big charges occasionally.
Tessie looks handy too, I was put off by there being a price, but will check out the trial.

What I'd really like is to know how I get to see my IO electricity charges, and specifically confirmation of whether the usage was charged to me at either the Peak or Off Peak rates, which I don't think I've been able to find anywhere yet - is that something that's available somewhere, either in the IO app, website, Bills/Statements, or something like a Tessie or a third party Octopus app? That would be the icing on the cake (and give peace of mind so I can check accurate billing, and also relax about not checking it all so often).

Thanks, that's great, will be really good to confirm if it would charge after 5.30am in this setup.
Like you, my car has almost always finished by before then, but will be good to know for the big charges occasionally.
There owners manual says this for off-peak charging:
1664883443994.png

Of course Octopus could issue a stop charging command at some point.

Morning all - very much a newcomer to all of this, but I had some basic questions around Go and IO and I'm hoping someone can answer them.

I'm in the process of the switch to Octopus currently, and I'm currently trying to decide which tariff to go for. I understand Go is a straight-forward four hour window of off-peak pricing, but IO seems to be slightly more confusing and I'm seeing conflicting information scattered around.
  • Is the six hour window guaranteed each night (23:30-05:30), or do you get six hours based on the schedule created only which can vary day-by-day?
  • If it is the latter, do you miss out on the cheap rate if the car is not plugged in?
  • If the car is plugged in, but doesn't need a charge (or only a very short charge), do you also miss out?
Thanks in advance! I'm still trying to work out the best option so any guidance around these questions would be a great help.

Morning all - very much a newcomer to all of this, but I had some basic questions around Go and IO and I'm hoping someone can answer them.

I'm in the process of the switch to Octopus currently, and I'm currently trying to decide which tariff to go for. I understand Go is a straight-forward four hour window of off-peak pricing, but IO seems to be slightly more confusing and I'm seeing conflicting information scattered around.
  • Is the six hour window guaranteed each night (23:30-05:30), or do you get six hours based on the schedule created only which can vary day-by-day?
  • If it is the latter, do you miss out on the cheap rate if the car is not plugged in?
  • If the car is plugged in, but doesn't need a charge (or only a very short charge), do you also miss out?
Thanks in advance! I'm still trying to work out the best option so any guidance around these questions would be a great help.

Reactions: Tommm83
D'oh! Spent ages reading the wrong thread and not the really clear and concise wiki!

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: _Dave_ and browellm