Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 10kW electric shower will cost you £973.33 to run per year taking 4 x 10-minute showers a day: (10/60) × 10 × .40 × 4 × 365

But... we're meant to be forsaking fossil fuels. A better solution would be an immersion hot-water cylinder that you run between 11:30 pm and 5:30 am (the cheap and environmentally-friendly rate). Heating a 250L tank from 0% to 100% takes around 4h with a 3kW element, costing you £109.50 per year: 4 × .075 × 365
Yes, this is also a good option. I would imagine the cost to implement would depend on what system is installed already, though.
If it’s a combi-boiler then it’ll probably be a rather expensive plumbing job, not to mention that you will also have heat losses from the water cylinder to think about…

ah

I completed my Switch to Octopus this AM. Didn't tell me they were pulling Go when I spoke to them the other week to start the switch

EDIT:

Just called Octopus. They have no Smart Meter appointments available or any EV tariffs I can move on to. But I am now a customer 😅

Not ideal
They wont let you on the EV tariffs till you have the smart meter anyway. My appointment came up in 4 and a bit weeks, although that was a cancellation, so I may have shortened the wait a bit. I was hoping it would all be wound up before the tariffs were withdrawn or changed. However there was no sign that they were going to move the EV tariff before OCt 1st despite it being fixed for 12 months so I am hopeful they will come back with similar rates, albeit without being fixed.

Re. Smart Meter. I had a an appointment booked for the end of this month with my previous provider - E-ON. Are the meters vendor specific? Can I just keep this appointment and tell Octopus when it is installed?
Yes, it will be a new SMETS2 meter communicating with the nationwide data company DCC, (as opposed to first generation ones pre-2018 who were only 'phoning home' to the supplier, but are in the process of being transitioned to DCC too), so they are full interoperable whoever your supplier is. You can keep your appointment.

Re. Smart Meter. I had a an appointment booked for the end of this month with my previous provider - E-ON. Are the meters vendor specific? Can I just keep this appointment and tell Octopus when it is installed?
I’d get one booked in through Octopus, then phone the installer every few days to check for cancellations. Which ever comes first then cancel the other one. (There is a chance your old supplier will cancel your existing appointment).

Octopus told me on the phone today that they have out all their fixed tariffs on hold while they figure out prices. They also said if you come off a fixed tariff you can’t sign up to another one for 30th us.

However this was after they tried to set my DD payment based on the pre price cap October rates! So not sure you can fully trust what they say.

I'm wondering what would be the cost of (and existing solutions for) having just a small battery (c. 5kW) without solar, (and install costs obvs) , and just use Go/IO to charge at night and discharge it during peak times (cooking, oven, tv etc)... Or basically for Elon to allow a small portion of the car battery (same, c. 5kW) in bidirectional V2H mode...
I actually have panels on the roof and waiting for a 10kwh battery later this year. The solar and battery charged at night should cover 95% of daily usage outside of EV charging.

11-12 months depending who you ask. It takes some time (weeks) to get dno approval so you would be at the mercy of that plus of the installer even if one was available straight away.
Which is a very long time when we need to find cost cutting solutions as soon as possible. Does anyone have shorter leadtimes for battery storage for low rate charging at night and say 10kWhr day time usage? Any links for products, installers, or DIY install designs would be interesting.

Which is a very long time when we need to find cost cutting solutions as soon as possible. Does anyone have shorter leadtimes for battery storage for low rate charging at night and say 10kWhr day time usage? Any links for products, installers, or DIY install designs would be interesting.
If you want something really fast and that can get you started, look at ecoflow pro. You can start diy but if you want to tie it to your consumer unit they have a panel for that but you will need permission from your dno and professional help. 2-3 days lead time.

That is the highest usage at 7 pm I seen so far.

1665651822204.png

Got my cheap rate with IO from 7 pm :D