Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tried ev.energy again. Couldn't connect to charger and listed my last charges at several locations I have never been to. I think it needs a Zappi or OHME or perhaps Tesla has blocked it as well as TeslaFi.
Unfortunately it's down at the moment along with pretty much everything else that uses Tesla's api.

I'm using it with a PodPoint charger, it's charger agnostic when it comes to connecting with Tesla's.

Not sure about the erroneous charging places. Give it another bash when it's back online and I'll try to help you if you require it.

Unfortunately it's down at the moment along with pretty much everything else that uses Tesla's api.

I'm using it with a PodPoint charger, it's charger agnostic when it comes to connecting with Tesla's.

Not sure about the erroneous charging places. Give it another bash when it's back online and I'll try to help you if you require it.
OK
Many thanks. I'll try next week.

I want to charge up till 4.30 because it is cheap until then but don't want to leave until 8.30

I don't think you said why this affected you ... you can leave at anytime obviously. I am therefore presuming you are referring to the depths of winter when you might want to have the car warmed up automatically? In that scenario, as I don't leave at a set time in the morning, I would just switch on climate from the app whilst having breakfast . I would think it's highly likely that in a future software update (don't hold your breath) Tesla will enable these functions to operate independently or combined as you choose. Teslafi, I believe, is another (paid for) option ... there will be others.

Reactions: MrBadger
The main problem is getting the car prepared in the morning in spite of stopping charge at 4.30. Winter is coming.

Just do it via the app xx minutes before you intend to leave. If very cold we use to do it 10-15 minutes unless it was wet cold and instant freeze froze the door handles, in which case it needed a bit longer. We never use to do it every day as its not critical to winter operation if you forget or do it late although may be an inconvenience if you need all the battery range you can get so wanted to warm the car on shore power not from the battery.

Reactions: Adopado
Just do it via the app xx minutes before you intend to leave. If very cold we use to do it 10-15 minutes unless it was wet cold and instant freeze froze the door handles, in which case it needed a bit longer. We never use to do it every day as its not critical to winter operation if you forget or do it late although may be an inconvenience if you need all the battery range you can get so wanted to warm the car on shore power not from the battery.
I truly get all your points. I realise I can accomplish everything with some inconvenience and a better memory than I possess along with some arithmetical ability. My point is that the comparatively primitive technological Kona does it all automatically out of the box. I live in Scotland and have been stealing my wife's Kona last winter to enjoy that very feature. I absolutely love the Tesla and the lack of timer facilities is my only disappointment. I will need to reorganise myself in the next few weeks.

My point is that the comparatively primitive technological Kona does it all automatically out of the box.

There are lots of things that the car does not do particularly well that others do so much better. But at least they could normally be an easy remedy should Tesla focus their attention on that feature. Unfortunately Tesla often release a half useful feature, then move on to something else leaving a trail of half baked features. But better than nothing.

Comfort aside, there is value in preheating for some types of journey. Bjørn Nyland’s video explains. If your trip requirements would benefit from preheating the battery due to cold weather, you may need 30-45 minutes and benefit from being plugged in whilst doing so to mitigate the charge loss.

I preheated a lot last winter and it made quite a bit of difference to the efficiency for my actual journey. On many occasions it meant I could avoid a charge en route or whilst out in the day. If you can meet all your charging requirements in that 4-hour window, then I doubt your normal journey lengths would merit battery preheating unless it was really cold.

Incidentally, I agree with @Medved_77 on the value of ev.energy for what you want to achieve in terms of exploiting the low-cost window to the maximum. If however you wish suck power from the wall whilst preheating, you will have to manually disable smart charging or turn on boost. Unfortunately, the ev.energy app doesn’t yet support Siri Shortcuts (or Android equivalent) to automate all the required steps.

I hope ev.energy overcome this Tesla API problem soon. I will really miss the optimisation I get on Agile from it.

I truly get all your points. I realise I can accomplish everything with some inconvenience and a better memory than I possess along with some arithmetical ability. My point is that the comparatively primitive technological Kona does it all automatically out of the box. I live in Scotland and have been stealing my wife's Kona last winter to enjoy that very feature. I absolutely love the Tesla and the lack of timer facilities is my only disappointment. I will need to reorganise myself in the next few weeks.

Just out of interest how do the Kona settings work? Obviously it must have a start and stop time for the actual charging ... is there then a separate time of departure that you can set so that the heating comes on for a defined period in advance each morning? Does that heating period heat the battery or just the cabin? Do you set it the same for all days or weekdays/weekends or whatever. Do these things work when not plugged in or only when plugged in? (Presumably if your work pattern varies you need to cancel to make sure it doesn't unnecessarily waste energy heating the car.)

My point is that the comparatively primitive technological Kona does it all automatically out of the box.
We all get that. Most of us share your incredulity over the lack of maturity of some aspect or another of Tesla’s functionality if not this one in particular. Don’t get me started on cruise control! ;) Hopefully our suggestions will save you some time. I’ve certainly learned loads from the helpful folk on here.

Just out of interest how do the Kona settings work? Obviously it must have a start and stop time for the actual charging ... is there then a separate time of departure that you can set so that the heating comes on for a defined period in advance each morning? Does that heating period heat the battery or just the cabin? Do you set it the same for all days or weekdays/weekends or whatever. Do these things work when not plugged in or only when plugged in? (Presumably if your work pattern varies you need to cancel to make sure it doesn't unnecessarily waste energy heating the car.)
Sorry for delay in answering. Kona has a timer section with 2 separate parts.
1. Is charging. Set time on and off. Then selelect days of week or exclude weekends etc.
2. Is departure time. Same thing; select days of week or weekdays or all week. Car is cosy and set to go at the appointed time.
All work off mains electricity and car must be plugged in.
It really couldn't be simpler but you still get people who need guidance on the Kona forum.

Reactions: tj333 and Adopado
1. Is charging. Set time on and off. Then selelect days of week or exclude weekends etc.
2. Is departure time. Same thing; select days of week or weekdays or all week. Car is cosy and set to go at the appointed time.
It really couldn't be simpler but you still get people who need guidance on the Kona forum.
It's similar to setting alarms on a Samsung phone.

Looks very sensible to me. Can this be set in an app as well as in the car? (sorry for all this ... I just need to know what to wish for in any future Tesla update!)

Looks very sensible to me. Can this be set in an app as well as in the car? (sorry for all this ... I just need to know what to wish for in any future Tesla update!)
Kona is primitive in the technology department compared to tesla in all other departments. There is no app although there may be one in 2020 models? You have to set it up in the car but it will continue like that every night until you change it. Our Kona is the 64kw premium SE. Not sure about the other ones. It is nice to drive and amazingly quick although my wife has never been out of economy mode "Quite fast enough" she says.

Must admit, I’ve had EV energy since November, very impressed and generally works well (unless Tesla alter the API within a software update!) comms has been very good also
Thanks for your help. I have been back on ev.enegy this morning and am making some headway. I seem to have got charging at cheap rate set up so all I need to do now is to remember to set climate control before I leave. The app had lost my address and yesterday it thought I had charged at a place I didn't even know when the car was in the garage all day. Will give it a try tonight.

Kona is primitive in the technology department compared to tesla in all other departments. There is no app although there may be one in 2020 models? You have to set it up in the car but it will continue like that every night until you change it. Our Kona is the 64kw premium SE. Not sure about the other ones. It is nice to drive and amazingly quick although my wife has never been out of economy mode "Quite fast enough" she says.
IIRC the Kona electric has always had an app in the Asian markets, but for some reason it never made it into the European models. This was quite an oversight when you consider the Leaf has had app control since 2011!

As you say, the Kona is a lovely car to drive, although I did find it far too easy to spin the front wheels. Too much torque, not enough traction! In my case though I felt badly let down by the reliability, and very poor knowledge of the service personnel. In most cases I knew more about the car than they did.

I hope your long-term experience will be better.

Yes, being able to alter those settings with an app would be an important and valuable addition. Looks like you would need a pretty precise morning pattern otherwise you may need to go out to the car to stop it doing its pre-warm. For someone like me who doesn't have a regular morning departure time it would be rather worse than the current Tesla set up ... I can just tap a button whilst in the house to initiate climate/pre-condition at any time. In fact, unless the Tesla can respond to "thought analysis" (Elon's working on it!) I'm probably not going to be able to set any type of planner other than to cover the start stop times of the cheap rate electricity.

IIRC the Kona electric has always had an app in the Asian markets, but for some reason it never made it into the European models. This was quite an oversight when you consider the Leaf has had app control since 2011!

As you say, the Kona is a lovely car to drive, although I did find it far too easy to spin the front wheels. Too much torque, not enough traction! In my case though I felt badly let down by the reliability, and very poor knowledge of the service personnel. In most cases I knew more about the car than they did.

I hope your long-term experience will be better.
Agreed. Torque steer and wheel spin are horrific until you are prepared for it. Had the car for a year with no problems whatsoever other than a little rattle near the front 12v inputs in the past few weeks. Fixed it with a piece of paper. I had an Ioniq plug in for 3 years before the Tesla and it was fault free. Needed 2 tyres otherwise nothing. It had the same charging and ready for driving settengs as the Kona. I liked it very much but as I was constantly borrowing the Kona I had to go all electric.

Reactions: Roy W.
As you say, the Kona is a lovely car to drive, although I did find it far too easy to spin the front wheels. Too much torque, not enough traction!

I initially thought that the excellent traction control on the Tesla was simply a feature of all EVs but then read, from multiple sources, about Kona wheel spin. Given that even the slowest of the Model 3s accelerates significantly more quickly than the Kona it's surprising they haven't managed to successfully moderate the wheel spin. Of course front wheel drive is always going to be a bit of a harder nut to crack than RWD or AWD in the wheel spin department.

Reactions: Dilly