Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus offering SMETS2 install -- should I?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Octopus have emailed me offering to book (with specific dates and time slots) SMETS2 meters install. I have SMETS1 "Secure" meters and they work fine. Should I accept the offer to upgrade to SMETS2? From what I read, SMETS2 meters are fully portable between providers, where SMETS1 meters are limited to what each provider may support (i.e. I get complete freedom to move away from Octopus if I want to by upgrading to SMETS2). Is there any downside to upgrading? I don't have PV or a battery.

I had my meters changed from SMETS1 to SMETS2 on Thursday. The new electricity meter is a Kaifa MA120 which previously had created phantom power drain when connected to a Powerwall battery. However, yesterday's half hourly data is now visible in my Octopus account and is consistent with what I saw with a SMETS1 meter. Data for both meters were showing up on the IHD before the installer departed and, overall, the commissioning has been faster than I expected.

Went from SMETS1 to SMETS2 for Octopus Go tariff - proved to be painless and at least the 'energy use' monitor works now.

Just because some people have a bad experience did not meant we all did - Sure change involves risk but in my case the £100's in electricity savings by having a meter that supported Octopus Go was worth the risk - In my opinions (No Octopus did not support my original SMERTS1 meter)