Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re really struggling with Octopus and are getting nowhere fast, I suggest you vent your frustration directly to the boss, Greg Jackson. I understand he reads his own emails, and does act on problems.

gregAToctopus.energy

My own experience with Octopus has been great, far better than my previous suppliers who were OVO, British Gas and whoever became Shell Energy.

My recent experience of Octopus Go has been dreadful I’m sorry to say. Our smart meter and IHD was fitted by an outfit called Providor in April and was pretty good until August when it totally failed to record any electricity readings either on the IHD or on the Octopus online dashboard which makes it impossible to monitor charging consumption. After many emails and calls to Octopus they finally got Providor to call us in early October to arrange their first available engineer booking for late November! On the due day nobody turned up so we rang Providor who confirmed we had booked but they had not allocated an engineer as there wasn’t one in the area. It got worse when we asked for a quick next appointment and we’re told they were not currently taking any bookings! Since then a furious call to Octopus has resulted in a promise to get Providor to ring us with a booking but to date we again have heard nothing.
We will be giving Octopus a hard time when we call them tomorrow.
When it works it is pretty good

yes mine too since September but Octopus give me no feedback or returned calls and not suggested a visit. I suspect this is a wide spread issue that they can’t handle

If you’re really struggling with Octopus and are getting nowhere fast, I suggest you vent your frustration directly to the boss, Greg Jackson. I understand he reads his own emails, and does act on problems.

gregAToctopus.energy

My own experience with Octopus has been great, far better than my previous suppliers who were OVO, British Gas and whoever became Shell Energy.

I never got any response to emails

yes mine too since September but Octopus give me no feedback or returned calls and not suggested a visit. I suspect this is a wide spread issue that they can’t handle
After various emails and phone calls to Octopus and Providor this week it now seems that Octopus no longer use Providor for meter installations in the East Midlands although not many people at either company were aware of this. I am now on the list for one of Octopus’s own engineers to come out to resolve the problem hopefully. However they are very busy with an increased workload so time will tell.
In the meantime starting to look for alternative energy provider!

Reactions: Roy W.
Email from octopus yesterday, saying they are putting my direct debit up £26 a month. So I've complained again, saying a proportion of this week will be because I'm still on the tracker tariff, as you haven't sorted out my meter, so I can't charge cheaply at night! I reduced the increase to £13. And asked them for a list of steps they are going to take to get it sorted!

I recommend that you change your DD to simply pay your actual bill each month. Energy companies don't seem to promote this option but you can do it. This way of energy providers (all of them) giving you an average over the year always ends up working in their favour and then leads to a build up of money in the account that you can't easily access.

Reactions: Roy W.
Moved over to Octopus on 15th Nov and had my new smart electric and gas meter fitted yesterday with no problems at all, always answer my emails quickly and have had no issues at all. Just waiting for something to go wrong based on what everyone is saying but so far so good and can recommend 100% so far.

Moved over to Octopus on 15th Nov and had my new smart electric and gas meter fitted yesterday with no problems at all, always answer my emails quickly and have had no issues at all. Just waiting for something to go wrong based on what everyone is saying but so far so good and can recommend 100% so far.
Same experience about a month ahead of you. Yet to see 1st bill based on smart meter. Once have that will conclude switch successful

I’ve been with Octopus for over a year. I already had a SMETS1 which Eon installed previously. The switch worked. I moved to the Go tariff OK and apart from a few minor niggles early on and all resolved pre-Covid, my experience has been fine.
I also swapped from Co-op to Octopus for feed in tariff. That was a bit slow but got there in the end.
My meter readings are accurate and so are my bills.
Guess that I’m one the lucky ones. For that matter, the same is true of my M3. No build quality problems with that either!

I’ve been with Octopus for over a year. I already had a SMETS1

Me too. Octopus for over a year and I didn't have a smart meter but Octopus arranged for a SMETS1 Secure brand install because they knew the area was not likely to be suitable for SMETS2. They said that these older meters can be updated with software to provide SMETS2 functionality in the future ... (I've no idea what that different functionality actually is!)