Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, they are not crippled. Smaller batteries can't take as much charging power. Every Tesla with a smaller battery has a lower maximum kW it can charge at than the larger batteries, and yes, they list the details in the specs section on the web site. Like here for the Model 3 RWD:

View attachment 952081

And no they don't need to charge 50-100% longer, partially because they are more efficient. (The charge curve is also different.)

For example in a 15 minute charge starting at 10% the:
  • Model Y LR gains 98 miles of range when driven at 80 MPH.
  • Model 3 RWD gains 106 miles of range when driven at 80 MPH.
(They haven't done that particular test on a Model 3 LR yet, but the Model 3 LR only has 3 more miles of rated range than the Model Y LR, so I expect the results are comparable.)
Thats really interesting.. part of me thinks that the website isn’t totally accurate since it indicates both LR AWD and RWD get exactly the same miles added in 15 minutes, but with significantly different MAX kw charging capabilities, but MAYBE it’s truly exactly the same.

But, wow just think if the LFP COULD take much more power at lower SOC, one could get maybe 200 miles added in 15 minutes (whereas it takes me ~ 20-22 min to get there)

But, wow just think if the LFP COULD take much more power at lower SOC, one could get maybe 200 miles added in 15 minutes (whereas it takes me ~ 20-22 min to get there)

Yep, the RWD LFP based cars are great for road trips as long as there are enough chargers with about the correct spacing.

There are rumors that there is a new LFP pack that is about 10% larger, so ~66kWh, in China. That would likely increase Supercharging power to almost 190kW.

With the adoption of Tesla charging systems by most of the other car companies Ford, GM, etc, is there any reason I would need a CCS adaptor at this point?
If your car does not have CCS compatibility, you will not be able to use any 3rd party NACS fast chargers. Not an issue right now (none exist), but it will probably be something you want in a year or so.

Because I read the NACS spec document :) It only talks CCS for DCFC.
Interesting. Thanks! So, Tesla Superchargers are bilingual (That's how magic dock works with non Tesla's I presume) and they speak a native protocol as well that only Tesla's speak so they can charge older, non-css Tesla's like older S's etc?
So the only thing these other players are doing is adapting layer 1 - the physical connector.

Interesting. Thanks! So, Tesla Superchargers are bilingual (That's how magic dock works with non Tesla's I presume) and they speak a native protocol as well that only Tesla's speak so they can charge older, non-css Tesla's like older S's etc?
So the only thing these other players are doing is adapting layer 1 - the physical connector.
Yep, more or less the situation. Though I think it’s only the v3 superchargers that are “bilingual”. Dunno if Tesla has any plans to retrofit the older ones