Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it's just unplugging a box and plugging the new one in and then running software update. But your hands are probably worth a bit'a money that you may not wanna risk doing ANYTHING that isn't eye surgery
It’s really a little bit more involved than that. One has to be able to get to the box first. And Possibly unplug power to be cautious. I can understand some people would rather have someone else do that.

I still think there is a nice little cottage industry for this though.

Ooh, he like the combo AC/DC adapter.

1692846176996.png

BTW, with adapters, it is best to stay well below the rated charge rate. For example, I would try to stay with the SuC and only use adapters when in a bind. And then, only use sites with much lower charge rate than the adapter is advertised to handle. For example, J-1772 to Tesla adapter rated for 48A or higher... use only at 32A. CCS1 to Tesla adapter rated for 250 kW... use only at 150 kW or lower stalls.

Last edited:

View attachment 967732
If this combo AC/DC adapter is passive (which it is given the price) it is dangerous. The NACS connector use the same pins for both AC and DC, while CCS1 and J1772 have separate pins. If the adapters just connect both the AC and the DC pins in the CCS1/J1772 side to the NCAS side it meansd the AC and the DC pins of the CCS1/J1772 side are connected. Therefore, when you AC charge with J1772 the DC pins, which are not blocked by the J1772, become live.

Reactions: israndy

View attachment 967732

BTW, with adapters, it is best to stay well below the rated charge rate. For example, I would try to stay with the SuC and only use adapters when in a bind. And then, only use sites with much lower charge rate than the adapter is advertised to handle. For example, J-1772 to Tesla adapter rated for 48A or higher... use only at 32A. CCS1 to Tesla adapter rated for 250 kW... use only at 150 kW or lower stalls.
Where are you getting these numbers from? ‘32A and 150kW’? If tesla puts out a product rated for a certain performance, it is okay to use up rated performance.

I just dropped my 2015 S P90D off for service and the CCS retrofit, the service advisor told me after the retrofit I’ll be able to charge the battery at the faster 250kw rate super chargers , I’ll no longer be limited to 120kw, is that correct?
hopefully, that is just ignorance on the part of the service advisor, and HOPEFULLY, it’s not just false marketing to get ppl to upgrade.. that would truly be lame.

Reactions: FireFighterHil
I didnt think so. Im still new to how the charging system and the supercharger network works on a hardware level. The other thing he mentioned, not sure if its true, the car does not actively cool the battery when connected to the Wall Connector, only when super charging? So if I were to get an older wall connector capable of putting out 80amps and since my Model s is a dual onboard charger it should be able to charge at 80 amps, I would be possibly degrading the battery quicker charging it at 80amps due to the excess heat, since it doesn't actively cool?

I didnt think so. Im still new to how the charging system and the supercharger network works on a hardware level. The other thing he mentioned, not sure if its true, the car does not actively cool the battery when connected to the Wall Connector, only when super charging? So if I were to get an older wall connector capable of putting out 80amps and since my Model s is a dual onboard charger it should be able to charge at 80 amps, I would be possibly degrading the battery quicker charging it at 80amps due to the excess heat, since it doesn't actively cool?
Sounds like more nonsense. 80 Amps at 240 V is still a slow charge rate of about C/4, which will not degrade the battery. It also will not generate much heat, so cooling is probably not needed. If the battery is cold, it will use AC power to warm the battery when charging. If cooling were needed, say due to driving hard in a very hot environment prior to charging, then I would expect battery cooling to turn on.

GSP

I just spoke to the Tesla dealer. They told me installing the CCS Hardware Retrofit is free, but there is a $450 charge to update the firmware, enable CCS, and provide the CCS to NACS adapter. In the price estimate there is two separate lines for it. "CCS ECU and Combo 1 Harness Retrofit, Gen 2 Charger, Model S $0.00" & "Perform NA CCS1 Retrofit $450.00". This just seems strange, provide and install the hardware for free, but charge to enable it?

I just dropped my 2015 S P90D off for service and the CCS retrofit, the service advisor told me after the retrofit I’ll be able to charge the battery at the faster 250kw rate super chargers , I’ll no longer be limited to 120kw, is that correct?

Perhaps this is unintentional, but the thread you are posting about your model S CCS retrofit in, is in the model 3 subforum and was specific to that vehicle (or at least that was the intention for it to be in this subforum and merged with the other existing threads on this topic).

The generic discussion one is here, in the supercharging / charging infrastructure subforum

Hey all,

Just putting it out there (probably already is). Finally after months of stress, the CCS OEM adapter became available on the Tesla store, but this is merely 1.2 of the equation. Without the ECU update, I have a lovely and quiet, heavy paper weight. I've been aging the service centre parts people regularly and they are very polite, but without a clue, as to when.

Does anyone have any sort of intel where and when I can source one? Thank you.