Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off Peak charging scheduling help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to charge my car between 00.30 and 05.30. Currently I have it set up for Scheduled Charging from 00.30, but sometimes it might be charging into the morning peak time.

I can't seem to find a way for the car to just charge off peak only without having to reach 100%. Just whatever it does within that time period. Is anyone able to offer some help on this as I can't seem to find a definitive answer when searching.

I can't seem to find a way for the car to just charge off peak only without having to reach 100%. Just whatever it does within that time period. Is anyone able to offer some help on this as I can't seem to find a definitive answer when searching.
I use the start time of 00:30 and have TeslaFi stop the charge (if required) at 04:30 using the API interface. I'm guessing other apps can do the same...
2021-12-13 11_48_36-Clipboard.jpg

This works perfectly. You could also pre-warm the car at set times using the schedule & reminders in TeslaFi. Plus many other features that are available. Give it a try as it's free for 2 weeks (or 4 weeks with a referral)

Upvote 0
Which charger ? Most people using Octopus Go will either
  • Configure the chargers to start a and stop and leave the car to charge anytime
  • Set a +40% limit in the app
  • Use an app like EV.Energy or TeslaFi to start and stop the charging
I use the first of these, set the timers in the app and no longer worry about it. works perfectly.

I would also say, generally, isn't it better to always charge to a known value, even if that means some charging is at a higher rate. How much are you really saving against guessing what charge you have available.

Upvote 0
I'm on Octopus Go (4 hrs) and use the Departure tab not Charge to achieve off peak charging as it has this option of when off peak rate ends.

When you set the percentage to where you want the car charged up to, flicking to the scheduled charge tab in the app afterwards shows when the charging will start as a side effect of this. Scheduled charging should remain disabled however.

Basically adjust your percentage until the charge start time is where you want it to be (in my case 00:30) and it will stop at the off peak end time give or take a couple of minutes.

I did toy with the idea of using the charging point as the scheduler but I dont like the idea of the charge just stopping to the car as it could be carrying out balancing or some other battery maintenance.

The above is all in the iOS app, not sure if Android is the same?

Upvote 0
Use the ev.energy app -- it's really good. Tell it to only charge off-peak, and it will stick to the off-peak times, no matter how empty or full your battery may be. In other words, you just plug the car in each evening, and the next morning it will have received up to 5 hours of charge time (your 00:30 to 05:30).

Reactions: andyf1140
Upvote 0
I'm on Octopus Go (4 hrs) and use the Departure tab not Charge to achieve off peak charging as it has this option of when off peak rate ends.

When you set the percentage to where you want the car charged up to, flicking to the scheduled charge tab in the app afterwards shows when the charging will start as a side effect of this. Scheduled charging should remain disabled however.

Basically adjust your percentage until the charge start time is where you want it to be (in my case 00:30) and it will stop at the off peak end time give or take a couple of minutes.

I did toy with the idea of using the charging point as the scheduler but I dont like the idea of the charge just stopping to the car as it could be carrying out balancing or some other battery maintenance.

very helpful thank you. I'll give this a go.

Upvote 0

This is a very handy tip! Thanks. I used this method last night with success.

Reactions: beef68 and Leejmoff
Upvote 0
I found this in the manual:

Scheduled Charging and Scheduled Departure​

With Model Y in Park, touch go to Controls
Controls > Charging > Schedule to set a daily time when you want Model Y to be ready to drive. This ensures that charging is complete and/or the cabin climate is comfortably preconditioned by your departure time.

Alternatively, you can switch to Scheduled Charging to specify a daily time in which you want Model Y to start charging.

Upvote 0

Controls > Charging > Schedule to set a daily time when you want Model Y to be ready to drive. This ensures that charging is complete and/or the cabin climate is comfortably preconditioned by your departure time.

Alternatively, you can switch to Scheduled Charging to specify a daily time in which you want Model Y to start charging.
None of which solves the issues under discussion I'm afraid.

Upvote 0

Most people also have a very specific window when they want to charge which is between say 0:30 and 4:30.
So this does not help much since it will not schedule a start time for the charging and will want to turn on climate at 4:30am when done.
so it has its place for people who have no cheap rate and leave for work at the same time every day but is not really any kind of solution to the op's question

Upvote 0
Ok, maybe I misunderstood the manual and I don't have my MY yet to do any test. I just thought when it says "Alternatively, you can switch to Scheduled Charging to specify a daily time in which you want Model Y to start charging." that I could set a start time at 2am and that's when the car would start charging?

Upvote 0
Ok, maybe I misunderstood the manual and I don't have my MY yet to do any test. I just thought when it says "Alternatively, you can switch to Scheduled Charging to specify a daily time in which you want Model Y to start charging." that I could set a start time at 2am and that's when the car would start charging?
The issue is that you can start a start time but not a finish time. This has always been the case in Teslas. (The only other time you can set is a time for the car to warm up and "pre-condition" in cold weather.) There are many many many discussions about this on this forum over the years ... There are "workarounds" so it's not a deal breaker but many of us find it an odd omission.)

Upvote 0
So the best way to schedule charging is via a smart charger I suppose?

It's one way ... whether it's the best way depends on the choice of the user. Some of us use the start time only but set our percentage charge limit to level that will complete within the 4 hour charging window of, for example, Octopus Go 00:30 to 04:30. I'll not get into pros and cons. (Really, this stuff is elsewhere on the forum ... try the search facility.)

Upvote 0