Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve heard “by the end of the year,” “six months definitely,” “essentially a solved problem,” “absolutely confident,” and so on more times than I can count. They either need to get this thing out the door or start refunding money.

I’m truly amazed the folks who bought in 2016 with video “evidence” of FSD being a done deal haven’t filed suit.
I got a buyback at an excellent price after 1,5 years and 40 sw updates, back in 2018. Some other problems with the car also. But Norwegian consumer laws are consumer friendly, not company friendly.

Reactions: helvio
Even smart summon? I swear I checked for those features on my co-worker’s app and they weren’t. But I guess I was wrong!
Yes even smart summon. If you purchased Enhanced Autopilot for $5,000 from 2016-2019 the following image accompanied the feature description.

06AF0BFB-E1C2-4391-B6B0-B78815A2C84C.jpeg

Not even L2 Autosteer on City Streets? Your interpretation is that was a “bonus” feature not actually sold as part of FSD? Hopefully The Button is the start of the progression towards that, though my guess is that the breadth of the expanded release will initially disappoint people.
It's tricky. Not even that, if they don't achieve it, or if it's not approved by regulators. My understanding has always been "I will get it if they accomplish it", not "I'm owed it because I paid for it". It's (afaik) unprecedented, so it's just bound to be complex.

I have no doubts that City Streets will be released someday. I might be wrong, but at this point, I don't believe I am. It's very real, as we see on YouTube. It's not a bonus, it's just not ready for prime time. It's a controlled beta, the difference is that this time we're paying to be in it.

But it's easy to look back at examples where tech companies would release an invite-only network (most recently Clubhouse) and people are dying to get in. But nobody's paying (at least not the company) for an invite, while only the big influencers get in. The difference is that we paid therefore we demand. Take the money out of the equation and see if it makes more sense. It does to me.

It's tricky. Not even that, if they don't achieve it, or if it's not approved by regulators. My understanding has always been "I will get it if they accomplish it", not "I'm owed it because I paid for it". It's (afaik) unprecedented, so it's just bound to be complex.

I have no doubts that City Streets will be released someday. I might be wrong, but at this point, I don't believe I am. It's very real, as we see on YouTube. It's not a bonus, it's just not ready for prime time. It's a controlled beta, the difference is that this time we're paying to be in it.

But it's easy to look back at examples where tech companies would release an invite-only network (most recently Clubhouse) and people are dying to get in. But nobody's paying (at least not the company) for an invite, while only the big influencers get in. The difference is that we paid therefore we demand. Take the money out of the equation and see if it makes more sense. It does to me.
But… the money is in the equation. My money. Investors’ money. Tesla can work as long as they please to solve FSD on their dime.

They didn’t charge us $3,000 extra for funsies, they took it with a promise of a product that we could enjoy at some point in the near future, with frequent and continual reinforcement in public statements (including quarterly shareholder meetings) from the CEO. I think it’s reasonable to expect a “future feature” to be delivered within five years.

You can’t take the money out of the equation because it’s literally the point of contention. Elon can bloviate about future products and whims all he likes but it gets a lot more serious when you’re sitting on your customers’ cash. It’s even more serious still when you’re selling investors on something with huge potential implications for the stock price, which Tesla has been doing for years.

I’ve been waiting so long for FSD that my car is out of warranty! Like I said, I bought this largely as a novelty but Tesla absolutely promised full self driving, emphasized it, double and triple-downed on the promise, and continues to sell it to new customers.

FSD needs to exist, soon, or the money needs to be refunded. Tesla has burned through a LOT of goodwill with the FSD promises and shareholders are on the hook for tens of billions if this doesn’t pan out.

This is not trivial no matter how much you try to see it that way. Customers paid real money and investors put in real money to see a real product. It’s been so long since Tesla started promising FSD that customers have bought cars, paid them off, and traded them in without ever having received any of the promised features.

Semantics are semantics but that could be construed as fraud. This is not inconsequential debate here. Just because you’re light hearted about it doesn’t mean that tens of thousands of people aren’t extremely pissed off.

But… the money is in the equation. My money. Investors’ money. Tesla can work as long as they please to solve FSD on their dime.

They didn’t charge us $3,000 extra for funsies, they took it with a promise of a product that we could enjoy at some point in the near future, with frequent and continual reinforcement in public statements (including quarterly shareholder meetings) from the CEO. I think it’s reasonable to expect a “future feature” to be delivered within five years.

You can’t take the money out of the equation because it’s literally the point of contention. Elon can bloviate about future products and whims all he likes but it gets a lot more serious when you’re sitting on your customers’ cash. It’s even more serious still when you’re selling investors on something with huge potential implications for the stock price, which Tesla has been doing for years.

I’ve been waiting so long for FSD that my car is out of warranty! Like I said, I bought this largely as a novelty but Tesla absolutely promised full self driving, emphasized it, double and triple-downed on the promise, and continues to sell it to new customers.

FSD needs to exist, soon, or the money needs to be refunded. Tesla has burned through a LOT of goodwill with the FSD promises and shareholders are on the hook for tens of billions if this doesn’t pan out.

This is not trivial no matter how much you try to see it that way. Customers paid real money and investors put in real money to see a real product. It’s been so long since Tesla started promising FSD that customers have bought cars, paid them off, and traded them in without ever having received any of the promised features.

Semantics are semantics but that could be construed as fraud. This is not inconsequential debate here. Just because you’re light hearted about it doesn’t mean that tens of thousands of people aren’t extremely pissed off.
I'm not opposed to you, I'm light hearted about it, yes, but my point is that this is Beta software and they're treating it like so.
I am not the one making the calls or giving you your money back, I don't have it. But I do support you to go against Tesla if this is how you feel. Trust me, I've mentioned a few times that I'd change my mind, and I mean it. Not only, I'd love it to have my mind changed. This is unprecedented, like I said, and a turn that big would be incredible.

But this country is ran on forms, liability, insurance and bureaucracy. Tesla has good people doing their marketing and legal stuff. I am confident that I don't know more than they do, so I don't think it's worth spending MY money and MY energy on it, and it's my sole decision to "trust the process".

But to each their own. I am probably the odd-ball here and by all means I'm saying I'm right. I just express my sincere opinion and it's up to you and other readers to digest it. I'm no internet troll nor do I have the urge to argue.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr

This is how I looked at it whenever I purchased FSD. I was okay with purchasing the features that were available (NOA, summon, etc.) at the time and getting the future updates to the software (L2 City streets next and whatever comes after) as they become available.

I don't bet but if I did I'd bet that this time it's going to follow a strict timeline. OTA tomorrow, FSD next Friday. I say this due to the way Elon loosely promises things and they don't come true vs when he precisely depicts feature intricacies + a precise release day. I might be wrong, but it's the pattern I picked up from his tweets.

EDIT: Unless he's a time nerd and the OTA comes Oct 1st. But then FSD on Oct 8th.
I agree exactly

Ok serious question (the answer to which I wish was public knowledge): does Tesla have even a part of Dojo running FSD improvements based on real world data, or are they doing FSD development on lesser computing setups still?

WAAAY back when Dojo was first mentioned to the world, I had gotten the impression Tesla had it already running.

Then AI day (😍) gave me the impression they haven’t built a full cabinet (😟🥺).

If the truth lies somewhere between these two extremes, what’s the probability that Tesla right about now has a fully built system and is quantifiably *graphing/otherwise tracking* its (insanely fast) iterative progress toward .9999999 FSD safety

And that’s why suddenly Musk is like, here’s the date.

Ok serious question (the answer to which I wish was public knowledge): does Tesla have even a part of Dojo running FSD improvements based on real world data, or are they doing FSD development on lesser computing setups still?

WAAAY back when Dojo was first mentioned to the world, I had gotten the impression Tesla had it already running.

Then AI day (😍) gave me the impression they haven’t built a full cabinet (😟🥺).

If the truth lies somewhere between these two extremes, what’s the probability that Tesla right about now has a fully built system and is quantifiably *graphing/otherwise tracking* its (insanely fast) iterative progress toward .9999999 FSD safety

And that’s why suddenly Musk is like, here’s the date.
Dojo is still in development. They use Nvidia Tensor Core GPUs right now.
At CVPR this week, Andrej Karpathy, senior director of AI at Tesla, unveiled the in-house supercomputer the automaker is using to train deep neural networks for Autopilot and self-driving capabilities. The cluster uses 720 nodes of 8x NVIDIA A100 Tensor Core GPUs (5,760 GPUs total) to achieve an industry-leading 1.8 exaflops of performance.

“This is a really incredible supercomputer,” Karpathy said. “I actually believe that in terms of flops, this is roughly the No. 5 supercomputer in the world.”