Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a drive today and got this score. What percentage is needed on average to be “safe”.

This is gonna be hard. 😬

View attachment 714676
The threshold is not clear, but the tesla doc describing the feature suggests "most people will score above 80." I know for the few miles I drove yesterday (less than 10 miles), I got a 93. Wife in her Model 3 came back with a 97. But the 3 will not be driven until we get back from a trip to Kansas.

As I read rules for the game, if Autopilot is on, it does not count any adverse events against you, but the miles are counted. Since I have a 700 mile trip set for Tuesday, mostly on Autopilot, I should have a super score by the end of the week.

I find it pretty damn annoying to be playing this game with Tesla. What would have been more acceptable and arguably more effective would have been a short web based training module, followed by a quiz that you must pass to proceed. Fail it, take it again until you pass.

Maybe Tesla is testing for people who are aware of Autopilots current shortcomings and manually take over in circumstances where Autopilot isn’t the best. It seems like they would definitely want people who can drive better than Autopilot otherwise that could be used to validate FSD beta.

Thinking about it a little more, if you let Autopilot get you into bad situations, FSD Beta could do even more damage since it can depart the lane.

Autopilot/FSD failure is what they want people to watch for so getting a ding in your score when you let Autopilot drive into a scenario it doesn’t handle well Is probably good.
I agree. I’m not sure a score of 100 is the right thing to be looking for. You might want that person whom breaker hard because something unexpected happened. Possible while on AP. It’s pretty clear AP is not good at handling the unexpected.

Reactions: Ramphex
Be WARNED and CAUTIOUS! Other drivers can screw you!. after having driven over 25 miles no problem, 100% score, coming home from brunch today doing 27 mph in a 30 mph zone in town, a driver suddenly just pulled out from the Trader Joe’s right in front of me and raced away. of course the Tesla thought it was an impending collision and threw the collision alert. Mind you there was no risk of collision, just a lift off and regen braking brought down the speed WELL enough to give the a..h..enough time to get in front and pull away, but the car thinks it was a forward Collision Warning and dropped the Safety Score by 50%.

update: has anyone tried CANCELLING the sign up and resubmitting to reset the Safety Profile data?
Not surprised. Someone else in a different thread said they pulled over & reset their car after some incident and it didn’t get uploaded. I haven’t tried it.

There's a lot of discussion that seems to treat these measurements as black-and-white, as if all breaching of the threshold is considered bad driving. In reality, these are known imperfect metrics to indirectly estimate driving behavior.

They're looking to exclude people with numbers that are statistically positively correlated with a higher rate of accidents on the assumption that such drivers are more likely to be reckless with their use of autopilot. And they probably aren't wrong. But they know that the numbers don't directly measure good driving on a moment to moment basis. If hard braking was always bad, they wouldn't make cars that could brake hard.

Driving to maximize your score is not a good idea. If you're hesitant to hit the brakes, it could lead to an accident. So drive safely and gently. Take the advice if it says you follow too close or turn too hard. But don't try to game it. There's probably no point anyway, since it's unlikely that they're looking for a perfect score.

The fact that they are doing this is a super clear signal that FSD is not ready for general release, and is not yet safe in many situations. I'm excited to try it too, but we'll be doing so as crash test dummies until they work out the issues.

doesn't match what one of the developers told me. And it seems he may be right as as drive with a friend yesterday got him a ding when AP braked hard for no identifiable reason at a stop sign on a rural road.
For my first trip yesterday, I did my usual usage of Autopilot for probably 99%+ of the miles driven, and Hard Braking recorded the Score Simulator's Max value of 7.4%, which calculates to a 78 score. Since then, I've stopped using Autopilot to manually brake instead (more of feathering the accelerator) and gotten 100 score for each individual trip.

The Simulator suggests 0.2% Hard Braking should result in a 100 score, but I seem to be capped at 99 from the first trip with Autopilot braking hard:
safety 99.png

Maybe the weighted miles is rounding down from 99.49 to display 99 currently or maybe I can't get it back to "perfect." Has anybody started from a non-100 score to raise the overall score back to 100?

I don't bet but if I did I'd bet that this time it's going to follow a strict timeline. OTA tomorrow, FSD next Friday. I say this due to the way Elon loosely promises things and they don't come true vs when he precisely depicts feature intricacies + a precise release day. I might be wrong, but it's the pattern I picked up from his tweets.

EDIT: Unless he's a time nerd and the OTA comes Oct 1st. But then FSD on Oct 8th.
Who's laughing now, @Daniel in SD @AlanSubie4Life ? 🤣

Maybe the weighted miles is rounding down from 99.49 to display 99 currently or maybe I can't get it back to "perfect." Has anybody started from a non-100 score to raise the overall score back to 100?
Yes, briefly, yesterday (currently back at ~98.5 due to a single gentle braking incident for a yellow light).

It's definitely rounding. You can plug your values into the simulator and adjust the values to see what is needed to get back to 100 (rounded up). However, if you don't keep in mind your overall mileage per day (this is available in the app though), it's hard to come up with the overall average value using the simulator, because the overall average does not use the simulator calculator. Each day is calculated with the calculator, then those scores are mileage weighted and averaged over the interval (max of 30 days).

Last edited:
Driving in circles could cause Aggressive Turning force. Hit this road and drive back and forth at <49MPH and I bet you could maintain 100% for weeks.

View attachment 714654
Actually, I did drive around in a circle in my driveway about 5 times just to see what would happen. It never registered as aggressive turning force. Just a 1/10 mile drive. Of course I did it slowly. :) It was just a joke you know.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I got dinged for aggressive cornering for making a u-turn. With a 19.4 foot turning radius the Model S only has to be going 10.8 mph to exceed the 0.4 G lateral acceleration limit. It didn't affect my score, 99, much though.

While I was on autopilot someone ahead of me slowed abruptly to make a right hand turn, and autopilot braked hard. It wasn't counted against my score.