Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20210318-112911_Twitter.jpg

FWIW, according to my wifi router, i got a ~100MB downloaded to my car close to midnight last night. I already have the latest software 2021.4.12. Could be prep for "The Button", or it could be some other miscellaneous download not requiring confirmation/prompt (i.e. updated Supercharger map data, etc.)

• Helpful
Reactions: GargantulaKon
Taking all this into consideration, I’m still optimistic about my prediction of a Button for most people who are interested by end of March. (I actually thought it would be open to push for everyone who got FSD, but not so sure about that anymore). If it does not happen, it will be the first time Elon has “got” me.

I think the chances are about 50% in any case. (It would be a very exciting event, though likely of very limited significance.)

Last edited:
FWIW, according to my wifi router, i got a ~100MB downloaded to my car close to midnight last night. I already have the latest software 2021.4.12. Could be prep for "The Button", or it could be some other miscellaneous download not requiring confirmation/prompt (i.e. updated Supercharger map data, etc.)
My car gets downloads overnight like this regularly. Doubt it’s “the button”

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Taking all this into consideration, I’m still optimistic about my prediction of a Button for most people who are interested by end of March.
End of March does match up with the initial "QA internally" timeline of 2-3 weeks from Friday March 5th, which would be a window of the 19th to 26th. Although the tweet from just a few days later Tuesday March 9th said end of next week, which would be tomorrow. Also unclear if "10X size with 8.3" will actually be followed even with download button, and if that's expected to be around 10k (10X of previous 1k testers) or 20k (if 10X on top of 2X).

End of March does match up with the initial "QA internally" timeline of 2-3 weeks from Friday March 5th, which would be a window of the 19th to 26th. Although the tweet from just a few days later Tuesday March 9th said end of next week, which would be tomorrow.
Unless he considers the end of the week to be Saturday. Then again, Sunday is the end of the week in many countries. 🤔

About this whole new 8.3 version and download button for everyone .... it doesn't sound right.

If there are over 1000 bug fixes - it not only needs internal QA testing, but also needs a limited rollout first before being available widely. My guess is - they would first send it to current beta testers and confirm no big issues before sending to everyone.

A big change with lots of fixes - directly going to 10s/100s of thousands for the first time doesn't make sense.

About this whole new 8.3 version and download button for everyone .... it doesn't sound right.

If there are over 1000 bug fixes - it not only needs internal QA testing, but also needs a limited rollout first before being available widely. My guess is - they would first send it to current beta testers and confirm no big issues before sending to everyone.

A big change with lots of fixes - directly going to 10s/100s of thousands for the first time doesn't make sense.

1000 bug fixes?

I thought Musk meant the accuracy improved 1000x, meaning the theoretical # of disengagements would go down by 1/1000th.

Heck, I guess I don't know what metric he actually meant.

Yep, literally cannot see that tweet when viewing “Tweets & Replies” unless I know exactly which conversation to expand. Ridiculous.
I'm glad that others think that Twitter's UI is the most maddening thing ever. I thought it was just me. ;)

It would be very nice if Elon could update status on The Button. There's just way too much speculation and not enough facts at this point.

I have to laugh at the "We demand The Button in Europe" posts. Their time would be better spent demanding that their regulators support Tesla's ground breaking self driving software by actually allowing Elon to make the software available there. Source: Elon stating it'll be available in Europe when the regulating authorities approve it.

Reactions: Microterf
1000 bug fixes?

I thought Musk meant the accuracy improved 1000x, meaning the theoretical # of disengagements would go down by 1/1000th.

Heck, I guess I don't know what metric he actually meant.

I am wrong, he did say ~ improvements.

Whatever the heck that actually means. Could be a big fat nothingburger.

Reactions: Phlier