Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is this Elon acknowledging that "two weeks" means "I have no idea, and it has a high likelihood of never, ever happening"?

This is perfect. Now all those Tesla shills can say "see, what Elon has been saying for the last 4 years" is "I have no idea" not "2 weeks". We just didn't have the secret decoder ring until July 2021.

He explicitly told us he has no idea WTF he's talking about when he gives dates years ago in the 60 minutes interview.

I can't imagine I haven't quoted it at least a few times in this thread alone already.

Why people don't believe him when he said THAT, but then DO believe "2 weeks" I can't say.

There's a reasonable expectation for the feature to be delivered during the first half of the useful life of the car. If they can't deliver, then they must pay back the purchase cost and damages.

There's very little wiggle room here.

Can you cite the law you appear to think says this?

They have not delivered ANYTHING out of Full Self-Driving, compared to the EAP (available during my purchase).

Yes, they have.

Stoplights and stop signs were not part of EAP.

the small number of people who paid for fsd prior to 2019 only paid between 3-6K for it.
You know you're deep in the Tesla cult and disconnected when you can dismiss a hundred thousand customers paying "only $3-$6k" for something as if that's totally irrelevant. It's only half a billion dollars. No biggie. How hilarious that you believed the Tesla website in the PAST. What it says NOW is what matters, and that's clearly the contract they meant. Until it's updated again. How dare you pay attention to things in writing. The contract you signed when you bought is what matters. Wait. I mean nothing matters.

I can't believe a current customer of any company that is growing would be OK with the idea that it's OK for the company to screw the earlier customers just because there will be a lot more in the future. Because you realize that's you too, right?

He explicitly told us he has no idea WTF he's talking about when he gives dates years ago in the 60 minutes interview.

I can't imagine I haven't quoted it at least a few times in this thread alone already.
If the only way to defend the actions and statements of the CEO of the most highly valued auto company in the world is to reference a tweet from years ago that magically disavows all future tweets, then something is very wrong. This is like a president pardoning himself for all future crimes.

Since things said a long time ago are supposed to apply to all future statements, remember that Tesla made Elon's twitter an official means of communication for Tesla. Are you saying that a company could put an asterisk deep on their website that says "all dates quoted in writing don't matter" and then advertise dates all over the place, and that would be a reasonable thing for customers to understand?

But you should post this every time anything from Elon comes up. Every time a new thread pops up with Elon saying something, post the twitter link. Be consistent and persistent if this is really the way we should handle anything he says, and we're all just idiots for forgetting something said three years ago, instead of, you know, him not saying it at all.

If the only way to defend the actions and statements of the CEO of the most highly valued auto company in the world is to reference a tweet from years ago that magically disavows all future tweets, then something is very wrong.

Well, your reading in this case.

It wasn't a tweet. It was a nationally televised interview on 60 minutes.

Millions of people watched it, and it was heavily discussed.

Elon Musk said:
People should not ascribe to malice that which can easily be explained by stupidity." (LAUGHTER) So-- so it's, like, just because I'm, like, dumb at-- at predicting dates does not mean I am untruthful. I don't know-- I-- we've-- I never made a mass-produced car. How am I supposed to know with precision when it's gonna get done?

Now sub "made an L5 driving system" for "mass-produced car"

Or "made reusable rockets" for it.

Or "sent humans to Mars"

In all these cases he's throwing out an aspirational target date for a thing he (and in 3 of the 4 cases nobody) has ever actually done before (though he's now done 2 of the 4)

So he admits he has NO IDEA how to precisely say when it'll be done.

If you wish to suggest he should just stop offering dates in these cases I won't disagree with you.

But he's been SUPER clear for a long time you shouldn't believe him when he does it anyway.

He's very self aware of it- see the recent 2 weeks mars tweet as an example.

Last edited:
You know you're deep in the Tesla cult and disconnected when you can dismiss a hundred thousand customers paying "only $3-$6k" for something as if that's totally irrelevant. It's only half a billion dollars.

it is totally irrelevant to me.

I can't believe a current customer of any company that is growing would be OK with the idea that it's OK for the company to screw the earlier customers just because there will be a lot more in the future.

That’s how corporations operate.....

Why aren’t you suing Tesla....

Reactions: mikes_fsd
3 pages on this thread overnight - peak button hysteria.

This is like hunting - you need to be quiet. Then we will truly be 2 weeks away...

1625286062308.png

• Funny
Just a bit of history:

These are all part of EAP for customers in 2016-2019.

He famously posted "3-6 months" in February 2017.
"Autosteer on city streets" has been "coming this year" since 2019 on the website (now "coming soon")
FSD Beta came out in October 2020, with a "slow rollout" message- that no reasonable human would interpret as 71 people out of 1 million 9 months later.
Yup. PT Barnum was famous for deceiving customers, but he'd likely blush at Elon's lies. I have a dichotomy of feelings for him - it feels strange to admire a man who has hoodwinked me. I wish him the best bc he's leading the human race towards colonies on Moon and Mars; but, I want a reasonable facsimile of what I paid for 'FSD' "yesterday." Hate Tesla? Not in the least! Hate being lied to and then joked at with his "2 weeks" reply to the query about Humans going to Mars...

Yup. PT Barnum was famous for deceiving customers, but he'd likely blush at Elon's lies. I have a dichotomy of feelings for him - it feels strange to admire a man who has hoodwinked me. I wish him the best bc he's leading the human race towards colonies on Moon and Mars; but, I want a reasonable facsimile of what I paid for 'FSD' "yesterday." Hate Tesla? Not in the least! Hate being lied to and then joked at with h"2 weeks" reply to the query about Humans going to Mars...
I’m actually also fine with the two weeks joke. At least he his a acknowledging the frustration, as opposed to just pretending he didn’t say itzzz

Elon's still delusional and spinning like hell though. FSD v9 is not anywhere close to generalized self driving. It's an amazing, important step, but he's STILL talking about it as if it actually is FSD, not just a marketing name for city streets autosteer. And people wonder why someone could be confused if a Tesla can drive itself when Elon is tweeting about v9 being generalized self driving? It's all marketing, read the manual, check your purchase contract, Elon said on 60 minutes 3 years ago to ignore him, amirite?

His excuse is that he didn't expect how hard it would be, despite basically every other human on the planet going "of course it's insanely hard?" Reminds me of a certain president that said "Nobody Knew Health Care Could Be So Complicated"....

Elon's still delusional and spinning like hell though. FSD v9 is not anywhere close to generalized self driving. It's an amazing, important step, but he's talking about it as if it actually is FSD, not just a marketing name for city streets autosteer. And people wonder why someone could be confused if a Tesla can drive itself when Elon is tweeting about v9 being generalized self driving? It's all marketing, read the manual, check your purchase contract, amirite?

His excuse is that he didn't expect how hard it would be, despite basically every other human on the planet going "of course it's insanely hard?" Reminds me of a certain president that said "Nobody Knew Health Care Could Be So Complicated"....
It's nice to see Elon coming to his senses finally. On one hand I have a morbid curiosity whenever I watch FSD beta videos, but on the other I'm always horrified that this kind of thing is allowed on public streets.

I just can't get on board with the fans who say you have to take risks to make progress. That's what test tracks are for. Keep half-baked oncoming lane-crossing cars away until they don't do that.

I think/hope that Tesla has gotten the message with the recent NHTSA reporting rules. Play Time is over.

Yup. PT Barnum was famous for deceiving customers, but he'd likely blush at Elon's lies. I have a dichotomy of feelings for him - it feels strange to admire a man who has hoodwinked me. I wish him the best bc he's leading the human race towards colonies on Moon and Mars; but, I want a reasonable facsimile of what I paid for 'FSD' "yesterday." Hate Tesla? Not in the least! Hate being lied to and then joked at with his "2 weeks" reply to the query about Humans going to Mars...

This is why what others are doing is so amazing. The fact that they are about to release a door to door system (Mobileye on Zeekr 001 and Huawei on Arcfox Biac) that works anywhere in china which is orders of magnitude harder to drive in than the US without making grandiose claims, hubris statements or straight out lying and being deceptive. Should be applauded and supported. Yet Tesla fans far and wide disparage them and rather gloat in the words of someone whose 2 weeks could mean 12 weeks or 12 months or 12 years. Who claims "game over" and then uses excuses like "solving real-world AI" when his statements prove to be deception.
Now sub "made an L5 driving system" for "mass-produced car"

Or "made reusable rockets" for it.

Or "sent humans to Mars"

In all these cases he's throwing out an aspirational target date for a thing he (and in 3 of the 4 cases nobody) has ever actually done before (though he's now done 2 of the 4)

So he admits he has NO IDEA how to precisely say when it'll be done.

If you wish to suggest he should just stop offering dates in these cases I won't disagree with you.

But he's been SUPER clear for a long time you shouldn't believe him when he does it anyway.

He's very self aware of it- see the recent 2 weeks mars tweet as an example.

Its funny because almost all of your Tesla comrades and fans use his very statements to claim Tesla has won and to disparage every other company.

Elon's still delusional and spinning like hell though. FSD v9 is not anywhere close to generalized self driving. It's an amazing, important step, but he's STILL talking about it as if it actually is FSD, not just a marketing name for city streets autosteer. And people wonder why someone could be confused if a Tesla can drive itself when Elon is tweeting about v9 being generalized self driving? It's all marketing, read the manual, check your purchase contract, Elon said on 60 minutes 3 years ago to ignore him, amirite?

Unlike @powertoold guarantee and prediction that its "game over for the competition" and that Tesla had already won autonomous driving and they will have L5 with safety disengagement around ~150k 6-9 months from October 2020.

I can guarantee you that based on Elon's track record that Huawei and/or Mobileye (Supervision) will have widespread software deployment of their L2 door to door AD system to their entire eligible fleet that works anywhere in china before Tesla deploys their L2 door to door AD system to their entire eligible fleet that works anywhere in the US.