Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously they can't do a wheel alignment in your garage... they'd need a lift. It's possible they might be able to work out a local solution; you'd have to ask. Fortunately wheel alignment isn't done very often.

As for tire rotation, probably the issue is that they can't lift two wheels at once in your garage. They don't come equipped with two jacks, and they probably don't want to use jack stands. However, if you have more than four wheels on hand it is feasible... I was planning to rotate the tires myself when I swap winter/summer wheels. (I'll swap the wheels myself, but get a Ranger to reset the TPMS.)

My local tire store rotates tires for free in about 10 minutes and checks pressures. This is not an issue for me at all!

As for the alignment, I discussed this with one of the rangers, and what they have done to date is mentored a local shop through the process, showing them in person step by step until the process is complete. Then they consider them trained.

Only the tire plan is available for me.

I figured states like FL and WA might be behind. All I get is:

"Sorry, there are no services available in your region. For more information please contact a service representative at (877) 798-3752 or [email protected]"

But wait a minute. Apaloma and Brianman are in WA, and they get services! Am I just out of luck in Redmond?! Man.

I sent a note to ownership to see if it's temporary, a reversal, just me, or what.

UPDATE: a day later I got email telling me it's available, and sure enough I can see them.
A day after that, ownership got back to me and told me WA's not ready yet. Hmm.

Last edited:
Considering the toe/camber issues discussed on other threads and that the general treadwear for the 21's are only lasting about 6000-7000 miles before balding and needing replacement

:scared:

I have 16,736 miles on my 21" tires and still have tread left. The top wear bar is probably 1/3rd of the way down from the outer tread. I had seen on other threads people estimating less (I think maybe it was you who pointed it out to me?), but I missed that some people were getting only 6000-7000 miles: Ouch! I do have the Continentals which I read are lasting longer.
IMG_7775.jpg
IMG_7940.JPG

I'm trying to figure out the rim coverage. I already paid for Tesla to do some rim curb rash repairs. I wonder if I can get credited back for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, looks like it does not cover curb rash:

EXCLUSIONS: THIS CONTRACT WILL NOT PAY OR REIMBURSE FOR:
7. COSMETIC DAMAGE, I.E. DAMAGE THAT DOES NOT AFFECT THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY OF THE TIRE OR WHEEL.

:scared:

I have 16,736 miles on my 21" tires and still have tread left. The top wear bar is probably 1/3rd of the way down from the outer tread. I had seen on other threads people estimating less (I think maybe it was you who pointed it out to me?), but I missed that some people were getting only 6000-7000 miles: Ouch! I do have the Continentals which I read are lasting longer.
View attachment 18796View attachment 18797

I'm trying to figure out the rim coverage. I already paid for Tesla to do some rim curb rash repairs. I wonder if I can get credited back for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, looks like it does not cover curb rash:

dadaleus,

Is my memory bad, or didn't you get 22" wheels installed by A&E? Are you swapping back and forth?

On the text at Tesla Service | Tesla Motors and in GeorgeB's comments on both this forum and the official forum, the service plan includes roadside assistance, but I don't see any mention of that in the official legal documents for service, only for the tire plan.

From the tire plan:

"ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE BENEFITS: This Contract provides reimbursement up to $60.00 for towing or flat tire changing assistance services anywhere in the
United States. You can obtain benefits by calling 1-866-269-8094. Your Covered Vehicle can be towed to the closest qualified service facility. Flat tire changing
assistance consists of removal of the flat tire and installation of your spare tire. "

Is this another case of "We're a nimble company. We've altered the deal, pray we don't alter it further"? Am I missing something?

At least once we sign up for the service there's a legal agreement that hopefully means something in terms of what's covered.

dadaleus,

Is my memory bad, or didn't you get 22" wheels installed by A&E? Are you swapping back and forth?

I let Elie use my car as a guinea pig to show off the 22"ers for one night only at the Tesla event in Hawthorne. After the fabulous job they did figuring everything out for me it was the least I could do, plus it was fun to see them on the car! But I'm not a wheel guy. They looked beautiful and worked great and I highly encourage them for others that are interested.

- - - Updated - - -

From the tire plan:... "installation of your spare tire. "

Spare tire?!?

I let Elie use my car as a guinea pig to show off the 22"ers for one night only at the Tesla event in Hawthorne. After the fabulous job they did figuring everything out for me it was the least I could do, plus it was fun to see them on the car! But I'm not a wheel guy. They looked beautiful and worked great and I highly encourage them for others that are interested.

Ah ha, that explains it. :)

Errrh $700 for 12500 miles of 19" wheels and tire protection (aka 1 year or typical daily driving)? I paid less for 3 years when leasing BMW 5er...

1. REPLACEMENTS AND WHEEL REPAIRS MADE WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATOR’S PRIOR AUTHORIZATION.
  2. REPAIRS MADE BY ANYONE OTHER THAN A LICENSED SERVICE PROVIDER, ITS AGENTS, CONTRACTORS OR LICENSEES.

So basically if you get tire damage you can't just get it repaired at Discount or whatever and have to wait until business day so tow truck can tow car you to a service center and there, I am sure in a day or two you might get tire repaired. As opposed to just getting it done same day at a nearest tire center. I once had a flat in Blaine WA, 150 miles north from Seattle on Saturday and got tire repaired in an hour at a local tire store and was on my way. With this agreement I guess I'd have to call for towing, spend an hour waiting for the truck, then 3 hours towing over to Seattle, then somehow get home from Bellevue and then wait for someone to repair tire on Monday. I am also wondering if truck driver would agree to transport 2 children in the cabin in a front seat with no child seats or boosters.

Right. For about $500 I can get spare rim and tire at TireRack and just throw it in the trunk. I might even buy single TPMS sensor from Tesla...

Last edited:
The 21" might be worth it because the wheels are more likely to get damaged, and they are more expensive. The 19"s have cheaper tired, more rubber, and cheaper weeks -- and are only $200 less. If I had 19" I definitely would pass. Since I have 21"s I may consider it if it's for 50k miles (but definitely not for 12.5k).

Too bad curb rash isn't covered, or anything cosmetic to the wheels...

Waiting for confirmation, but sounds like it's an error. You should confirm before buying, but it sounds like it's for 50,000 miles.

On the text at Tesla Service | Tesla Motors and in GeorgeB's comments on both this forum and the official forum, the service plan includes roadside assistance, but I don't see any mention of that in the official legal documents for service, only for the tire plan.

That's because roadside assistance isn't tied to the service plan, it's included in the purchase of the car. The terms are spelled out in the MVPA.