Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did that and i cant pop up my keys to type my password. Otherwise, it tries to link me to the app.
It's designed specifically for desktop browsers and won't work well on mobile. There's no point using it from your phone.

If you're interested in beta testing the app, you can do that by joining the TestFlight on iOS or going to Google Play > Profile > Manage apps > Tessie > Join the beta.

Reactions: JssonB
I may be missing it, but is there a way in the new automations to specify a charge limit? For instance, when I arrive at work (where charging is free) between the hours of 6am and 9pm, I want the car to charge to say 85%. But when I'm at home, I only want it to charge to say 50%. Right now I'm changing the charge limits manually, but would really like to throw it in an automation.

I may be missing it, but is there a way in the new automations to specify a charge limit? For instance, when I arrive at work (where charging is free) between the hours of 6am and 9pm, I want the car to charge to say 85%. But when I'm at home, I only want it to charge to say 50%. Right now I'm changing the charge limits manually, but would really like to throw it in an automation.
Create an automation and select Set Charge Limit.

Reactions: JssonB
Create an automation and select Set Charge Limit
I'm not sure how the recurring automation works. I'd like to set the charge limit to one value at work and a different value at home, 24x7x365. Does the "time" parm come into play? Do I just set it to 00:00? Does the automation repeat periodically in the same day/location?

TY.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220722-204951.jpg
    Screenshot_20220722-204951.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 73
I'm not sure how the recurring automation works. I'd like to set the charge limit to one value at work and a different value at home, 24x7x365. Does the "time" parm come into play? Do I just set it to 00:00? Does the automation repeat periodically in the same day/location?

TY.
It runs on the set days and time.

If a location is set, it requires that the car is there.

I'd create two charge limit automations, one for when you arrive at home, and the other for work. e.g. set charge limit to X when I'm at work at 9am, set charge limit to Y when I'm at home at 5pm.

Ok - perhaps a bit awkward for what I'm trying to achieve. I can set 24 hourly automations for work and another 24 for home to run hourly. I arrive at unpredictable times to both places.

But there will be occasional exceptions - it's not currently real easy to remove/re-add 24 automations. And I assume these will wake the car?

Not sure this is how I had hoped it worked.

Maybe consider:

* On arrival at location, run automation
* Copy/paste feature
* Enable/disable switch
* Wake/do not wake switch
* Repeat every x minutes for y duration
* Do not run if SOC < x%
* Maybe even if/then logic - if cabin temp exceeds x degrees, turn on AC until it is < y degrees

FWIW, just off the top. I'd probably use all of the above.

Ok - perhaps a bit awkward for what I'm trying to achieve. I can set 24 hourly automations for work and another 24 for home to run hourly. I arrive at unpredictable times to both places.

But there will be occasional exceptions - it's not currently real easy to remove/re-add 24 automations. And I assume these will wake the car?

Not sure this is how I had hoped it worked.

Maybe consider:

* On arrival at location, run automation
* Copy/paste feature
* Enable/disable switch
* Wake/do not wake switch
* Repeat every x minutes for y duration
* Do not run if SOC < x%
* Maybe even if/then logic - if cabin temp exceeds x degrees, turn on AC until it is < y degrees

FWIW, just off the top. I'd probably use all of the above.
Yep, the car has to be woken up to set the charge limit.

What you're looking for here are what I'd call "conditional" automations - e.g. run when arriving at place. Those are on the roadmap - scheduling is just the first step. :D

Reactions: KArnold

If a location is set, it requires that the car is there.

I'd create two charge limit automations, one for when you arrive at home, and the other for work. e.g. set charge limit to X when I'm at work at 9am, set charge limit to Y when I'm at home at 5pm.
I'm giving these newfangled Tessie charge schedule features a go, after I had a good old think about what I'd like to happen and whether I could make that work in Tessie's current "beta" feature set. But I have a question or two that I don't think is covered in the FAQ's yet. James, I hope you can clarify or point me to the help articles, whichever is easier for you !

Does Tessie actively prevent charging outside of the charging schedule at the specified location ? And if so, how does it achieve that, and when ?

If I set no schedule in the car at all but have a Tessie schedule to run between 0030-0430 every day and I plug in the car to my charger when I get home, I the Tesla immediately starts charging (at peak electricity rate!) until I manually stop it. Will Tessie actively ever shut down that charging session ? If Tessie doesn't, what's the point of the schedule ?

My existing charging app (ev.energy) advises setting a defensive scheduled charge time at the start of the off-peak window to prevent the "automatic charge" happening, and I'm wondering whether I need to do the same with Tessie to prevent that immediate charge-on-plugin?

However, if Tessie does actively shut down that triggered charge, will Tessie do that for every manual charge, even where I decide I need to charge the car manually unexpectedly and don't disable the Automation schedule first ?

I'm giving these newfangled Tessie charge schedule features a go, after I had a good old think about what I'd like to happen and whether I could make that work in Tessie's current "beta" feature set. But I have a question or two that I don't think is covered in the FAQ's yet. James, I hope you can clarify or point me to the help articles, whichever is easier for you !

Does Tessie actively prevent charging outside of the charging schedule at the specified location ? And if so, how does it achieve that, and when ?

If I set no schedule in the car at all but have a Tessie schedule to run between 0030-0430 every day and I plug in the car to my charger when I get home, I the Tesla immediately starts charging (at peak electricity rate!) until I manually stop it. Will Tessie actively ever shut down that charging session ? If Tessie doesn't, what's the point of the schedule ?

My existing charging app (ev.energy) advises setting a defensive scheduled charge time at the start of the off-peak window to prevent the "automatic charge" happening, and I'm wondering whether I need to do the same with Tessie to prevent that immediate charge-on-plugin?

However, if Tessie does actively shut down that triggered charge, will Tessie do that for every manual charge, even where I decide I need to charge the car manually unexpectedly and don't disable the Automation schedule first ?
Im not James, but I have just been working on these exact scenarios.

Your first question, Yes. It prevents it because you set the time frame for that location.

Second question, the schedule doesn't allow the charging to start so there is no need to stop anything. (At least it never did for me). I turned all schedules off in the Tesla app.

Third, I did not because you give it the time frame to charge.

Forth, Yes. All you have to do is hit the manual start charging button and it will start charging and you dont have to do anything to your automation settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220725-090505.jpg
    Screenshot_20220725-090505.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 47

If you create a charging schedule for Monday through Friday, 12am to 6am, your car will only charge 12am to 6am on Monday through Friday. On Saturday and Sunday, the car is free to charge anytime.

The car is checked every minute. If it's charging outside of your schedule, it will be stopped.

You are correct that if it didn't behave this way, there would be no point in a schedule. :)

Last edited: