Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Upcoming Model S Price Increase & Timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like 2,500 base price increase and standard 12 way seats is a rumor.
Model S price increase looming? | Forums | Tesla Motors

"Jbeli444 | NOVEMBER 27, 2012 NEW
Just heard on good authority that the price increase will be announced this afternoon. $2500 on top of the base price. Also, among the changes, 12 way heated seats will be standard on all models."

Heated seats makes a lot of sense in the base configuration. One of the reasons why the Canadian cars are a little more expensive is that they required all of them to have heated seats.

Just heard on good authority that the price increase will be announced this afternoon. $2500 on top of the base price. Also, among the changes, 12 way heated seats will be standard on all models."

If that's the case, then that's great. I won't have to spend $1500 on leather seats, and won't have to worry about finalizing too soon.

Received this e-mail 30 seconds ago:

Dear Ron,

We will be announcing a price increase for Model S in the next few days.

This is our first price increase since the introduction of Model S and it is very important that we implement this in a way that recognizes those who already have a Model S reservation. Thank you for completing the configuration process and finalizing your order in a timely manner.

We have everything we need to build your Model S and this price increase does not apply to you.

Sit back, relax and look forward to the arrival of your Model S!

Price increase timeline

Just got email from TM. Reservation holders; we seem to have 3 weeks to complete our finalize order, from the date we get a second "invitation" (in a few days), or get a price increase.

(I got my first invite but messed up the paperwork after changing my mind after I got papers to sign. Hopefully tomorrow.)

Clock's ticking!!!

Since it isn't marked as "confidential", here a *part* of the email:

You have already received your Invitation to Configure, so you can finalize your order at any time. In about a month or two, you will receive a "second invitation" that will begin a new three-week timeline. If you configure your car and finalize your order at any time between now and three weeks after receiving the new invitation, you will not be subject to the price increase.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine says four weeks as well.

It seems to depend on whether you have already received your "Invitation to Configure", or not.

Here's the email you get if you can't finalize yet.

We will be announcing a price increase for Model S in the next few days.

This is our first price increase since the introduction of Model S and it is very important that we implement this in a way that recognizes those who already have a Model S reservation. This price increase will not apply to anyone with an existing reservation... as long as they finalize their order within a reasonable, predefined timeframe after receiving their "Invitation to Configure."

You will likely receive your invitation to configure between now and the end of January depending upon when you made your reservation. If you configure your car and finalize your order within four weeks after receiving your invitation, you will not be subject to the price increase.

Customers most often want to know if they will be invited to configure in the order in which they placed their reservation. The answer is 100% yes. However, we are finding that some customers finalize their order quickly while others take longer to complete their design and submit final paperwork. As a result, those invited later with "higher" sequence numbers are moving ahead of those with "lower" sequence numbers on a weekly basis.

To be fair, we fill all open production slots with the lowest sequence number reservations that have finalized their order. We need to do this in order to fill all production slots each week. This means the sooner you finalize your order, the sooner your Model S will be headed your way.

Ok, it seems several different emails ... so here's the exact context of mine.

You have already received your Invitation to Configure, so you can finalize your order at any time. In order to ensure you have the fully allotted time to finalize your order, you will receive a "second invitation" in the next few days that will begin a new three-week timeline. If you configure your car and finalize your order at any time between now and three weeks after receiving the new invitation, you will not be subject to the price increase.

I just got the email for folks who have already finalized their orders.

"We will be announcing a price increase for Model S in the next few Days. This is out first increase since the introduction of Model S and it is very important that we implement this in a way that recognizes those who already have a Model S reservation. Thank you for completing the configuration process and finalizing your order in a timely manner. We have everything we need to build your Model S and this price increase does not apply to you. Sit back, relax and look forward to the arrival of your Model S."

Ok, it seems several different emails ... so here's the exact context of mine.

You have already received your Invitation to Configure, so you can finalize your order at any time. In order to ensure you have the fully allotted time to finalize your order, you will receive a "second invitation" in the next few days that will begin a new three-week timeline. If you configure your car and finalize your order at any time between now and three weeks after receiving the new invitation, you will not be subject to the price increase.

I'm curious why your e-mail says "in the next few days" and Norbert's says "in about a month or two." If you don't mind, sp4rk and Norbert, what are your numbers? I'm just wondering if people with lower numbers, i.e., who've have had more time to finalize, are getting less time now, so that folks roughly get a similar length of total time. Just a wild guess (and I'm probably wrong).

(My interest is academic; I finalized a couple of weeks ago, so I got the same e-mail as Lyon.)

I want to see how they change the pricing before I sign. The price increase could be a good thing depending on how they do it... For example, they could break down the Tech Package into individual options, and make the sum of those options more expensive than the current package deal. That would effectively raise prices, while simultaneously giving buyers more choice.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't mind an opportunity to pick and chose specific features. But if Tesla is just going to raise rates without adding additional value, then I'll just finalize my order to lock in the cheaper price. But I hope they release details about the new pricing so I can at least make an informed decision.