Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh look, yet ANOTHER FSD Beta (wheel cover curbing) Collision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curbed wheels ≠ Collision. For instance the statement "My friend was involved in a collision last week" would be hyperbole and should be "My friend curbed a wheel". No one says they were involved in a collision when they curb a wheel (except to get views).

I will restate what I have before. Beta needs to not hit anything that can be avoided.

Last edited:
Curbed wheels ≠ Collision. For instance the statement "My friend was involved in a collision last week" would be hyperbole and should be "My friend curbed a wheel". No one says they were involved in a collision when they curb a wheel (except to get views).

I will restate what I have before. Beta needs to not hit anything that can be avoided.
"the sudden, forceful coming together in direct contact of two bodies"

I'd consider a wheel forcefully impacting a (short) concrete barrier, to fall within the definition of "collision".

And considering which portion of an auto insurance policy covers curb damage....

"If you decide to file a car insurance claim for damages caused by hitting a curb, you would need collision coverage to cover the incident."

Case closed.

I'd consider a wheel forcefully impacting a (short) concrete barrier, to fall within the definition of "collision".

And considering which portion of an auto insurance policy covers curb damage....

"If you decide to file a car insurance claim for damages caused by hitting a curb, you would need collision coverage to cover the incident."

Case closed.

Knicking your finger and falling and breaking your arm would both be "injuries" but under what you are saying here, people would consider them the same, right?

This wouldnt be so bad except for the fact that there is previous history here of you using thread titles to exaggerate.

Knicking your finger and falling and breaking your arm would both be "injuries" but under what you are saying here, people would consider them the same, right?

This wouldnt be so bad except for the fact that there is previous history here of you using thread titles to exaggerate.
No, I think it's quite obvious that collisions of any sort, have varying degrees of damage and/or injury.

But the fact is, the insurance industry does consider a wheel striking a curb to be a "collision". In addition to that, I clearly pointed out the written definition of "collision", as noted above. I stated references for BOTH aspects of my argument.

I've yet to see anyone provide any evidence that the term "collision" does not apply in what occurred within the posted video.

Thus, the poster who stated above otherwise (re: wheel hitting curb NOT being a form of collision), is simply..wrong. And I'm correct.

Simple.

Last edited:
No, I think it's quite obvious that collisions of any sort, have varying degrees of damage and/or injury.....

Simple.
Call your mom and say "I was involved in a collision this morning". She will panic and immediately question you about injuries and how you are doing. She will want to know if others were involved and how much damage was done. Then you stop her and say "I curbed a wheel" and that is considered a collision. Then tell here that she simply doesn't understand what a collision is. She may remove you from the Will for misrepresenting what happened and causing her undue stress.

This would be considered a collision, and reported to the DMV, if Tesla was testing autonomous vehicles in California. For example it was widely reported when Apple hit a curb in one of their test vehicles.
A test vehicle, operating in autonomous mode in Sunnyvale and turning right from Mathilda Avenue onto Del Ray Avenue, made contact with a curb at approximately 13 miles per hour. While there was no tire or wheel damage, the contact resulted in misalignment. No other agents were involved, no injuries were reported, and law enforcement was not called to the scene.

That video is hilarious and that guy should definitely have his beta privileges revoked.

Last edited:
Call your mom and say "I was involved in a collision this morning". She will panic and immediately question you about injuries and how you are doing. She will want to know if others were involved and how much damage was done. Then you stop her and say "I curbed a wheel" and that is considered a collision. Then tell here that she simply doesn't understand what a collision is. She may remove you from the Will for misrepresenting what happened and causing her undue stress.
Thanks. None of this refutes the facts of what is defined as "collision".

Your welcome.

• Funny
Reactions: dstarnik

I collided with a plastic bag on the way to work while on Beta so [FACT] I was involved in a collision this morning.:eek:🤣🤣🤣

Should I file a report with NHTSA?

Yes. When humans pay machines to do a job, the expectation is higher. Otherwise, it should be free.

In the old days, we had to pay for a licensed elevator operator. Owners were willing to pay for automatic elevators because they don't keep stopping and opening between the floors and we have to climb out between floors each time even though there would be no accidents and nobody died.

But paying for a machine that does worse should be reported.

Humans hit curbs too and the repairs can be expensive. That is expected and that's why people pay $12,000 to prevent this problem. This video shows that AI with a super brain and super 8 eyes can still produce expensive damage to the wheel and its cover too.

This incidence needs to be reported so someone can improve it so it can stop hitting the curbs.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
In the video, I saw FSD give the takeover warning well before the car started its turn. The driver failed to grab the wheel and steer the car until the car hit the curb. He just kept his hands lightly touching the wheel while the car was begging him to take over.
Maybe if he actually had a wheel, it would've taken him less time to grab it. He had to grab a joke after the car decided it could no longer drive on the well lit, newly painted, zero traffic road.

Let the excuses begin
If you start a thread this way, you'll definitely get responses in a similar vein. It's just human nature. Perhaps you wanted to solicit this type of response because how you despise Tesla and FSD, and that's totally fine. I don't expect everyone to be a fan of Tesla just like I don't expect people in this forum to act like Vulcans - no emotional response when provoked.

The very fact that insurance policies have to state curb damage fall under collision is a sign that common sense suggests it otherwise. On technicality, you're not wrong, but 10 out of 10 people would roll their eyes I'm guessing if they had to follow your reasoning.

Driver's fault. He should've intervened the moment he thought there was the slightest chance the car was going to 'curb'. FSD Beta is... in Beta and "It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road."

I do agree with this. He had ample time to take control and avoid the curb. For those beta testers that are recording themselves it sometimes seems like they're happy to have this happen because it increases the value of their footage.