Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Homelink on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried to retrofit the Tesla Model S/X Homelink Module P/N: 1005371-00-B onto a Model 3 or Model Y? These modules seem to go for $40-50 compared to the $250 everyone else is asking for the Model 3/Y part.

I understand that the shape of the module is slightly different, so I would probably have to 3D print a mount that fits where the module is normally supposed to go, which shouldn't be too hard.

I saw some previous discussions about this, but that was before Service Mode was widely available to everyone and you still had to take it in to Tesla for the firmware update.

Reactions: ArizonaFish
Yes, I made a custom adapter cable a while ago, but it didn't work. I haven't tried since they made it a DIY install. I have the part sitting on my workbench I need to try it out again. I bet it won't work, but who knows?
Is the old module's pinout the same as the new, but just needs an adapter harness? If so, it's promising. Without programming to the vehicle, there's no way to know if it works, so the current service mode method should give you a definitive answer now.

Yes, I made a custom adapter cable a while ago, but it didn't work. I haven't tried since they made it a DIY install. I have the part sitting on my workbench I need to try it out again. I bet it won't work, but who knows?
Mr. Sovereignbat, the world needs to know this! Any chance to try it out? And when you it didn’t work as in the harness didn’t work or the module wasn’t recognized?

Update: I bought the Homelink Module P/N 1097814-00-A which has a matching connector to the Model 3/Y module, but is specifically sold as a 2016-2020 Model S/X module. These seem to be a bit more expensive than the older modules ~$150 range.

I saw that older homeland modules had a staggered pin design in the connector whereas this looks like a perfect fit, maybe the generation of the module was updated around 2016.

I'll try to install this in a '23 MYLR in the next few weeks and report back on my findings using service mode for software install.

Hi,

Can you clarify which one you tested and which one is gen 4 or gen 5 ?

I have collected few PN :

1020147-00-B from Model S 2016 80€
1097814-00-A from Model S 2017 160€
1114984-00-B from Model 3/Y up to 2022 250€
??? from Model 3 2023+

I don't believe 2023 will have a different P/N, since they use the same module as the 2017+ 3/Y vehicles.
The gen 5 are what is in the model 3/ys newer model s/x. they have a 5 pin connector. Though they only use 3 pins. Lin, ground, 12v+. The gen 4 where 4 pin and uses the 3 wires alson lin, ground, 12v. Thought was to make an adapter from the 5 pin to the 4 pin and use the cheaper gen 4 modules. It did not work.

Update:

I installed the Homelink Gen 5 P/N 1097814-00-A on a 2023 Model Y and I was able to run through the Homelink Retrofit setup, but testing the module results in a communication failure over LIN. This module is from a 2017 Model S that I bought off eBay for ~150 USD, but even though it's a Tesla specific part, and has a matching 5 pin connector, still no dice. I'm guessing the Firmware version Is different enough that even through the module looks identical to the new Gen 5 modules from the outside, the car is unable to communicate with the module.

IMG_4711.jpg

Looks like my only options are to buy one from Tesla for $350 or to find a P/N 1114984-00-B off of eBay to use on this car.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and your own experiences with this retrofit. May this thread serve as proof that this doesn't work for anyone else attempting to save some money on the Homelink Retrofit...

Update:

I installed the Homelink Gen 5 P/N 1097814-00-A on a 2023 Model Y and I was able to run through the Homelink Retrofit setup, but testing the module results in a communication failure over LIN. This module is from a 2017 Model S that I bought off eBay for ~150 USD, but even though it's a Tesla specific part, and has a matching 5 pin connector, still no dice. I'm guessing the Firmware version Is different enough that even through the module looks identical to the new Gen 5 modules from the outside, the car is unable to communicate with the module.

View attachment 914484

Looks like my only options are to buy one from Tesla for $350 or to find a P/N 1114984-00-B off of eBay to use on this car.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and your own experiences with this retrofit. May this thread serve as proof that this doesn't work for anyone else attempting to save some money on the Homelink Retrofit...
All might not be lost if it’s just the firmware, maybe take it to the local service center and see if they update it for you? (You can tell them that you got this piece from your other tesla before selling it)

All might not be lost if it’s just the firmware, maybe take it to the local service center and see if they update it for you? (You can tell them that you got this piece from your other tesla before selling it)
My closest service center is 2 hours away, and I already returned it on eBay so I won’t be able to test it unfortunately.

I know some of these modules can be OTA updated so if the LIN communication check passed, I might have had more hope in it being a firmware fix.

Hard to understand why the older homeliness wouldn't work if they're using the same basic 3 wire connection, GND, 12V & LIN for communications.
Since Homelink is a 3rd party product, I find it hard to believe the comms is different between the older and newer models, especially when Tesla likes to keep so many components cross compatible.

If they were cheaper to buy, I'd be tempted to buy each model and open them up to compare PCB builds and components.

Hard to understand why the older homeliness wouldn't work if they're using the same basic 3 wire connection, GND, 12V & LIN for communications.
Since Homelink is a 3rd party product, I find it hard to believe the comms is different between the older and newer models, especially when Tesla likes to keep so many components cross compatible.

If they were cheaper to buy, I'd be tempted to buy each model and open them up to compare PCB builds and components.
By the way, how do you edit posts on here, can't correct my typo's ?!?!?!