Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year Later: What's Missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
So, we're coming up on a year with the Model S, and while the Model S has exploded onto the scene and Tesla has done a great job keeping things up to date, there's certainly a few items that are notably absent. So here is a list of some of the things promised or hinted at around launch, but still haven't surfaced:

Software:
-- Wifi/hotspot functionality
-- Access to the HDD (to add music)
-- "Best iPhone integration"
--- Reading text messages as they come in
--- Ability to play ipods over USB

Hardware wise:
-- Center Console
-- Full HPWC (I know some people are getting them, but not sure if it's widespread)
-- Sunshade for pano rood

Hoping we get these (and more) in the big 5.0 update rumored. Did I miss any?

Last edited:
So, we're coming up on a year with the Model S, and while the Model S has exploded onto the scene and Tesla has done a great job keeping things up to date, there's certainly a few items that are notably absent. So here is a list of some of the things promised or hinted at around launch, but still haven't surfaced:

Software:
-- Wifi/hotspot functionality
-- Access to the HDD
-- "Best iPhone integration"
--- Reading text messages as they come in
--- Ability to play ipods over USB

Hardware wise:
-- Center Console
-- Full HPWC (I know some people are getting them, but not sure if it's widespread)

Hoping we get these (and more) in the big 5.0 update rumored. Did I miss any?

I find it very cool that software wise some of those can be implemented. One of the advantages of the Model S to be honest. It is not even the LCD panel that does this, but its accessibility through wireless means. Cars today could do this, but I believe very few do or have to.

Missing at one Year

Oh, didn't know that. Weren't they going to offer them to people who didn't have them for free?

That was supposed to happen, but I haven't heard anything on our Signature. I seem to recall there was another issue that came up about the same time—I think it was LED or some other sort of lighting in the back seats. They had been initially planned then taken out due to a redesign with a promise to install once the new design was done. I will try to look back, but does anyone else remember this?

That was supposed to happen, but I haven't heard anything on our Signature. I seem to recall there was another issue that came up about the same time—I think it was LED or some other sort of lighting in the back seats. They had been initially planned then taken out due to a redesign with a promise to install once the new design was done. I will try to look back, but does anyone else remember this?

Does your Sig Model S have rear map lights? Mine came without them but they are on all cars now I believe so that only affects a few cars.

Last edited:

Yes, it was the rear seating lights. My car has them. Guess that's a perk of being one of the last sigs delivered.

Was this functionality promised? I've forgotten.

Yes, in the 10/1/2011 factory tour Elon mentioned it while in the car IIRC. Thought it came up in articles since too.

I think the biggest issues to tackle are the 12V battery issue (people are still having this problem) and the expansion of the tech features. I really believe it is time they activated the hard drive and the wifi. I had a cable buried and an access point set up in my garage specifically for the latter issue. The app functionality should be accelerated now. I would like to see either (or both) a Pandora or Spotify app. We need pricing on 3G as well.

Vanity mirrors with lights on visors to be retrofitted on all cars were promised by George Blankenship in a post on TMC thread and also on a blog post on TM site. If you scroll down the blogs you will find it. It is hard to believe they are still trying to redesign them.