Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only 71kwh usable in X90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in another thread but decided to start a new one instead.

Just took a trip with my family in our X90D to go on a cruise and I can say I'm more than a little unhappy with the amount of kilowatt-hours I was able to get from my battery with a full charge. We barely made it to the supercharger. Girlfriend was in a panic the last 50 miles thinking it we were going to be stranded on the side of the road with our 2 year old.

71kwh total. That's ridiculously low. Even from the expected 82kwh, that's a 12% reduction in capacity. If that's the norm, how is that acceptable? And at what point is battery degradation beyond expectations?

And this is coming from a guy who likes to keep their car longer than a couple years. If this was an ICE car I would easily be able to get 300 to 400 thousand miles on it because I took good care of it. But this leads me to believe that no matter what I do, this car will end up being undrivable for me before I hit 200k.

Attachments

• IMG_20171207_094357.jpg
    IMG_20171207_094357.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 152
  • Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Hmmm.. if what you say is the case, Would that mean actual charge is higher than stated charge?

In a battery you are limited by the weakest link. That is why balancing is so important. However, if one cell group has irreversible damage and cannot be balanced then this will weight down the whole pack since the BMS will not allow over or under voltage for this cell group.

There are lots of threads here trying to reconcile the trip kWh number with the battery capacity and rated miles. As far as I know, the trip kWh number does not include some of the ancillary power usage. It always seems low.

I doubt there's anything wrong with your battery. And that's probably all Tesla will tell you. As long as your rated miles look good, this is just one of Tesla's mysteries.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H