Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to read that and how that works.

Could you please post the link?

Thanks,

Vin
It's not publicized, but I got an email from MTO.

Thank you for your inquiry. If you ordered a vehicle on or before July 11, 2018, cancelled the order on or after July 11, 2018, and now wish to reorder the vehicle, the vehicle you originally ordered will qualify for an incentive as long as it is delivered, registered and plated in your name by January 3, 2019 and it was on the list provided to the Ministry of Transportation by Tesla Canada on September 6, 2018. If your vehicle is not on this list, it is not eligible.

You must submit your EHVIP application no more than 90 days from the date the vehicle was delivered, registered and plated in your name in Ontario, and meet all other program requirements.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
Jackie
EHVIP Team

I think people who bought the DM or P3D's have a case to get compensated for missing the LR rebate. Especially if they had an order for the LR. Just my two cents on this matter.

Unfortunately that can't happen. Each model differentiation needed to be certified to be added to the list. Only the RWD was submitted for review and approval. The process to get approved required a physical car to be reviewed as well. There were no DM or Performance models available in Canada before the EHVIP program was cancelled.

Reactions: adaptabl
I think people who bought the DM or P3D's have a case to get compensated for missing the LR rebate. Especially if they had an order for the LR. Just my two cents on this matter.

It's not in approved list.

btw,

>>the vehicle you originally ordered<<

DM and P3D are not what you originally ordered, and they never make it to the approved list.

Reactions: adaptabl
Electric vehicles incentive program

Here is the government website.

You must have plated the vehicle on or before September 10, 2018.

Applications must be submitted within 90 days, that puts the deadline to submit the application (for that vehicle plated on or before September 10, 2018 ) to be December 9, 2018.

Vin

This is incorrect. I actually contacted the MFO and this is what they said:

If you ordered your vehicle on or before July 11, 2018, then it will qualify for an incentive provided it is delivered, registered and plated in your name by December 14, 2018 and it was on the list provided to the Ministry of Transportation by Tesla Canada on September 6, 2018. If your vehicle is not on this list, and was not delivered, registered and plated on or before July 11, 2018, it is not eligible.

If you ordered a vehicle on or before July 11, 2018, cancelled the order on or after July 11, 2018, and now wish to reorder the vehicle, the vehicle you originally ordered will qualify for an incentive as long as it is delivered, registered and plated in your name by January 3, 2019 and it was on the list provided to the Ministry of Transportation by Tesla Canada on September 6, 2018.

So this means that if you ordered your car prior to July 11 and it got delivered - say - in October or November, you would still qualify for the rebate (provided you are on the list provided to the government by Tesla on Sept 6th). Also, if you canceled subsequent to July 11th, you can re-order it provided you receive it prior to Jan 3rd.

Tenuous - very tenuous.

The only way they MIGHT have a case is if they originally ordered the LR RWD but subsequently changed their order after the rebate was yanked. Remember, those two cars were never approved for the rebate.

If you ordered your vehicle on or before July 11, 2018, then it will qualify for an incentive provided it is delivered, registered and plated in your name by December 14, 2018 and it was on the list provided to the Ministry of Transportation by Tesla Canada on September 6, 2018. If your vehicle is not on this list, and was not delivered, registered and plated on or before July 11, 2018, it is not eligible.

If you ordered a vehicle on or before July 11, 2018, cancelled the order on or after July 11, 2018, and now wish to reorder the vehicle, the vehicle you originally ordered will qualify for an incentive as long as it is delivered, registered and plated in your name by January 3, 2019 and it was on the list provided to the Ministry of Transportation by Tesla Canada on September 6, 2018.

So this means that if you ordered your car prior to July 11 and it got delivered - say - in October or November, you would still qualify for the rebate (provided you are on the list provided to the government by Tesla on Sept 6th). Also, if you canceled subsequent to July 11th, you can re-order it provided you receive it prior to Jan 3rd.
Yet the requirement changed again... I just love this government!

Nevertheless, this is GREAT NEWS for people who didn't cancel their orders and didn't make it on the Sep 10 deadline!

I'm convinced that the "list" MTO is describing here is actually a list of vehicles that was supposedly manufactured for Ontario customers prior to the Sep 10 deadline.

I did not know that.

Thank you for clarifying.

I learned something new today. It's a good day!

Vin

Yet the requirement changed again... I just love this government!

Nevertheless, this is GREAT NEWS for people who didn't cancel their orders and didn't make it on the Sep 10 deadline!

I'm convinced that the "list" MTO is describing here is actually a list of vehicles that was supposedly manufactured for Ontario customers prior to the Sep 10 deadline.

That's incorrect. The "list" that Tesla provided was that of your name, address and email.

So make sure the email you use in your application is the same as that which you had used originally.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are any discrepancies in applications they could be rejected. I doubt they are wanting to do us any favours.

Lol, lots of fun trying to decipher what the government mean.

1/ What happen to those people that get delivered Sep 10, but the vehicles VIN is not on the list. I supposed they should be okay.
2/ If you didn't cancel, and get a vehicle after Sep 10, you will get the rebate provided the VIN is on the list.
3/ If you Cancel, you will get a rebate if
A/ the VIN is on the list (list of VINs that are going to Ontario
B/ you are on the list of Cancelled orders.

Therefore, there are two lists, a VINs list and a list of People who cancel the orders (may be only up to Sep 6).

That's why the DA is hesitant, and need to confirm with the legal team.

Reactions: Tertulian
...the key is that you have to be on the 'The List'...the parameters of the list and how you get on it are somewhat of a mystery. It seems as though there are people who cancelled and who ought to qualify, who are nevertheless not on the list.

I always interpreted "the list" to be the list of eligible vehicles on the website.

Those that the base cost is under $75k, regardless of VIN numbers.

Vin

Just picked up my model 3 LR RWD. There were some paint issues that was the main thing we saw. But I had 14k reasons not to reject it. It takes a bit of getting used to. It definitely feels like a sports car vs family sedan. My only concern is how it handles my 4 and 6 year old as the door handles etc aren't as kid friendly . Also my Honda Clarity was probably a bit quieter not that it is a noisy car anything. Delivery experience was great. Love the family feeling ! Also I do miss Waze and android auto integration even with Tesla's great nav. Can't wait to get more time behind the wheel!

I look at this from a ROI prospective, at the price we pay, I will make at least 5% on gas savings alone. A penny saved is a penny earned.

My ICE uses premium gas, even at today's price, it is $1.20 unless I go to Costco which is a bit far to fill up.

Let alone all the bell and whistle of Tesla, those are just light years ahead of the competition, at $14K cheaper, it is just a no brainer.

Was given up on this back in July, so I am not going to miss it this time.

Reactions: champion1955
I look at this from a ROI prospective, at the price we pay, I will make at least 5% on gas savings alone. A penny saved is a penny earned.

My ICE uses premium gas, even at today's price, it is $1.20 unless I go to Costco which is a bit far to fill up.

Let alone all the bell and whistle of Tesla, those are just light years ahead of the competition, at $14K cheaper, it is just a no brainer.

Was given up on this back in July, so I am not going to miss it this time.

Very similar situation on all fronts.

Clearly Ontario won't be introducing any EV incentives for at least the next 3.5 years. I'd be shocked if the feds don't but certainly possible. Won't be anywhere near $14k though.

Didn't like Wynne or the deficit that was created but I think Ontario was doing the right thing with cap and trade and GreenON and EHVIP.

And it's a shame that Ontario's Environmental Commissioner, Dianne Saxe is getting the boot as her office is rolled into the Ombudsman. She is a true leader in her field.

Haha, it changes again.... But this is awesome news for those who still went ahead with their order and took delivery after the Sep 10 cutoff!

Reactions: champion1955
I did not know that.

Thank you for clarifying.

I learned something new today. It's a good day!

Vin
Indeed it is if you were one of the affected persons who had to cancel because of the government's shenanigans!

If you are looking to get in on this and order a Model 3, PM me for a ref code to get the 6 mths free supercharging (or check post #5194 on this same thread - it's there ;)).