Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree It won't work as an excuse, but it's a shame people are being mislead a little by the EHVIP website. If for example, June 29 was a line in the sand, how hard would it be for them to add a highlighted warning at the top of the page telling people that no new EV contracted orders made June 30 and beyond will be accepted?

Not doing so just leads to speculation that maybe the date isn't really a line in the sand.

Clear guidelines are important. If the PC's aren't implementing clear guidelines, they give the impression they don't really know what they are doing and in regards to the EHVIP program, I don't think they have a clue of the complexities involved nor do they likely care.

I'm more than happy to work with the system but it shouldn't be a shell game.

Reactions: I am 3LECTRIC
I agree It won't work as an excuse, but it's a shame people are being mislead a little by the EHVIP website. If for example, June 29 was a line in the sand, how hard would it be for them to add a highlighted warning at the top of the page telling people that no new EV contracted orders made June 30 and beyond will be accepted?

Not doing so just leads to speculation that maybe the date isn't really a line in the sand.

Clear guidelines are important. If the PC's aren't implementing clear guidelines, they give the impression they don't really know what they are doing and in regards to the EHVIP program, I don't think they have a clue of the complexities involved nor do they likely care.

I'm more than happy to work with the system but it shouldn't be a shell game.
Agreed. It may be one of the reasons (although minor) that Telsa is opening up orders, thus creating more pressure by the citizens on the Province (and Federal) to resolve this.

If you are referring to the PC's opening the "books" and doing a line by line audit, I think most are presuming there's been some blatant over spending and I applaud getting out of the red. Our over spending really needs to be addressed. No question/argument there.

I also realize that sometimes you just need to pull plugs rather than get tied up in endless bureaucracy but there's also been a historical tradition of winding down programs of a previous administration wherever possible/feasible. While Ford would probably have liked to cancel the EHVIP program when GreenON was addressed, obviously he did not and I can only presume that's due to the complexities of it being tied to cap and trade. When (as promised) he ends cap and trade in the summer session, hopefully we'll then finally get a clear understanding of how the EHVIP program will be wound down.

You would think there are lines of communication between Ontario Tesla management and HO so I'm sure they are aware of the politics playing out here. I think you could argue the opposite, that our Ontario situation has no influence on their decisions, otherwise they would have delayed opening up orders till that's resolved.

If Tesla was just using Ontario customers as pawns to pressure the PC's (even as a minor consideration), I don't think that would play out very well. Bad optics. I really can't see them doing that.

It's more likely they opened up orders because they are batching production.

Reactions: PAWilson
of course they are batching production. It only make sense.

I think they know PC is taking power on June 29, and they open up the floodgate to

1/ get confirmed orders so quarter looks nice
2/ Finally catching up to 5000 ish/week
3/ PC taking power in Ontario, and I would assume most of the Canadian order is from Ontario
4/ Batching production, so for every car that is produced, there is at least one customer
5/ Combination of above.

In any case, I am just happen they did, at least now I have a shot at the rebate.

It would be interesting to find out the delivery ETA once they open the model 3 configurator today. I think we will still see 3 to 5 months.

Bloomberg tracker suggests that they are keeping up the production pace at 5000/week.

They are setup a new factory in China. So much for Trump's initiative.

If you are referring to the PC's opening the "books" and doing a line by line audit, I think most are presuming there's been some blatant over spending and I applaud getting out of the red. Our over spending really needs to be addressed. No question/argument there.

I also realize that sometimes you just need to pull plugs rather than get tied up in endless bureaucracy but there's also been a historical tradition of winding down programs of a previous administration wherever possible/feasible. While Ford would probably have liked to cancel the EHVIP program when GreenON was addressed, obviously he did not and I can only presume that's due to the complexities of it being tied to cap and trade. When (as promised) he ends cap and trade in the summer session, hopefully we'll then finally get a clear understanding of how the EHVIP program will be wound down.

You would think there are lines of communication between Ontario Tesla management and HO so I'm sure they are aware of the politics playing out here. I think you could argue the opposite, that our Ontario situation has no influence on their decisions, otherwise they would have delayed opening up orders till that's resolved.

If Tesla was just using Ontario customers as pawns to pressure the PC's (even as a minor consideration), I don't think that would play out very well. Bad optics. I really can't see them doing that.

It's more likely they opened up orders because they are batching production.
I do not view it as negative or being used. Tesla's mission is to advance EV, so I see it as continuing to show the support and demand that is present and continues to grow. I also believe the Ontario situation already proved it does influence their decisions since Tesla ensured there was a batch of orders opened up before the end of June. I am fine with being proven wrong though :) since it is quite possible I am.

Reactions: M109Rider
Yes, 2 hurdles. If I was in that boat, I wouldn't be giving up hope. It's a bit of a rat's nest though. So if you got yours because the deadline wasn't in fact true and there was an orderly wind-down of the program AND AWD made it to the list, I would want to change my order to AWD too. But I would be penalized by having my order date changed which by then, might risk not getting my vehicle before the funds ran out!

I do not view it as negative or being used. Tesla's mission is to advance EV, so I see it as continuing to show the support and demand that is present and continues to grow. I also believe the Ontario situation already proved it does influence their decisions since Tesla ensured there was a batch of orders opened up before the end of June. I am fine with being proven wrong though :) since it is quite possible I am.

What I meant to convey is that Tesla is aware of Ontario and agreed, they appeared to be adapting orders relative to our situation a month or so ago but their decision making can't be weighted that heavily by this province because if it was, they would have delayed opening up all orders till we get things sorted out here. I realize that's a bit of an obtuse argument/logic so probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.

I would imagine their decision making is well thought out and considers all the factors. In this case, our needs simply didn't outweigh their need to establish batching their production to incoming orders.

Hopefully for Ontario it all works out and no one is caught holding the bag.

Reactions: PAWilson
>>It would be interesting to find out the delivery ETA once they open the model 3 configurator today. I think we will still see 3 to 5 months.<<

You can design your own Model 3 without reservation now. As expected, the timeline is still 3 to 5 months.
Are they allowing SR battery orders (with a 6 - 9 month window) or is it still just LR options but the only difference being no past reservation required?

One might say you are in a high risk, high reward situation :)

Indeed! Not much I can do about it. I did go in once (on July 1st) and change my order from 19" to the Aero wheels, and then back to the 19" and Tesla confirmed for me over the phone, that I will still get the benefit of the June 30 order date for purposes of free lifetime connectivity. So at least I got that. In terms of the rebate...it would be an absolute bonus win - but thankfully my order is not depending on it (but it sure would be nice). First, we would need to see if the AWD variant even makes the list - and I am very very doubtful.

I think the June 29th date really isn't as clear as people here are claiming. Ford can declare whatever he wants, but that doesn't change the actual policies in effect. Even with a majority government it's not a dictatorship, and there's procedures around how things are done. I expect anyone who orders RWD right now and takes delivery within ~3 months will probably get the rebate. If the EHVIP program was actually cancelled they would have updated the website.

If Tesla is listing the rebate for AWD that's a lot more questionable. I'm not sure we'll see new cars added to the list right now.