Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it’s getting more clearer everyday....“Of course there was the $14,000 rebate program for millionaires who were going to get that rebate to buy a Tesla or an electric vehicle. Those are the types of programs that were killed as a result of the cap-and-trade program,” said Smith.

PCs to end York strike and kill cap-and-trade law during rare summer session of the Ontario legislature | The Star

Damn, that kind of says it all. They're going to kill it as fast as they can. If there's money left in the coffers it will probably be repurposed elsewhere.

According to CBC, all that will happen today is the private ballot election of a speaker and the real work begins next Monday and will sit for at least a couple of weeks. There will be a lot of opposition but I'm sure that will fall on deaf ears.

How a party is even allowed to say they are doing things "for the people" when there's no possible chance of "the people" having signed off on each and every one of his mandates is ludicrous in and of itself. Just because someone voted for you based on a few of your mandates doesn't mean they supported all the others. So don't go around claiming everything you are doing is supported by "the people". That's ethically wrong in my books. Oh, right. We're talking about politicians. Disregard.

They may kill cap and trade fast (upcoming weeks) but their statement where the PC's said "We will be honouring all contracts as of June 29" was communicated to a number of people. We don't know definitively what "contracts" means, but most I think feel it's reasonable that it refers to our order agreement with Tesla.

The entire cap and trade is what, $1.4B nationally or something to that effect with Ontario's portion at $420M? Many Ontario programs were a part of that. They may "divert" funds from programs that are easier to do so with but that doesn't necessarily mean EHVIP is killed off this month. It will be a lot of work winding all affected programs down I would imagine.

MTO website have finally been updated with the official date.
How do we interpret:
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Why can't they include "orders made by consumers with manufacturers" on our before July 11...

The wording benefits orders made through dealership, not direct consumers.

"Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10."

This does not look good for Tesla orders. :|

Entirely possible to throw people off a cliff in an orderly manner I suppose.
Orderly cliff throw complete.
Sad to see, especially for those folks who in good faith have been in the queue, but not at all unexpected.
The only plus side (and not one to cheer about), all those who got the rebate just saw the used value of their EVs go up substantially, as there is no longer an instant devaluation in excess of the rebate, which is why I've always had an issue with cash up front rebates on EVs.

Electric vehicles incentive program

On July 3, 2018, Ontario cancelled the cap and trade program as part of its commitment to bring gas prices down by 10 cents a litre and help reduce costs for Ontario families and businesses by $1.9 billion dollars per year.

Given the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program and the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Programs are funded through cap-and-trade proceeds, these programs are cancelled.

Applications will be accepted from dealerships, car owners or prospective car owners only if one of the following conditions has been met:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
In addition, the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program is cancelled effective July 11. Charging stations purchased and/or installed before this date will be eligible to receive incentives if the application is submitted within 60 days of July 11.

Looks like they are *not* honouring orders made by consumers and are axing all incentives unless they can be registered and plated today. The wording appears to only honour orders made before July 11th if they are made by dealerships (not consumers), which IMHO is b/s.

Last edited:
Reactions: adaptabl
Incentives have been canceled.

Electric vehicles incentive program

"or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10."

So get your orders in today?!
It says dealership orders with the manufacturers, I do not think this counts Tesla orders that is made directly by the consumers (Tesla has no dealership).

Reactions: adaptabl