Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
**UPDATE 7**

So Tesla Oakville reached out to me again today. WITH GOOD NEWS!

So there you have it. We still don't know WHEN the rebate will be approved but at least our deposits are secure!

Tony, thank you for reaching out to Tesla Oakville.

Would you mind forwarding me a copy of that email? Who exactly did you contact to get that response?

I need to have this in writing, that rebate is make or break if I get the car or not.

Thank you all for doing this! I’ve sent a note to my MPP as well. However, you’re all killing me seeing so many of you order the RWD. I’ve been in a serious debate with myself and others to order now or wait for AWD.

Should I be concerned about RWD in the winter time? I live in Toronto, and driven 3 BMW RWD in the past with some issues in heavy snowfall/ice (spin out on the Gardiner with all seasons). People tout the added traction and potential range/performance but been dying to hit the order button. I’m torn.

Perhaps the wrong thread, but wanted to hear from other Canadian buyers.

I’ll post if I hear anything back from my MPP.

I think anyone who was wanting to get the long range battery anyway would be losing a big opportunity if they lose the rebate just to get AWD. Just my personal opinion but if you forego the rebate to get AWD, in reality it would end up costing you 14000 plus the cost of the AWD, so at least upwards of 18 grand to get AWD, a marginal improvement in an already very impressive vehicle. Spend the money saved on nice rims and Michelin Xice3’s, and pocket the 16 or 17 thousand left over.

Just for the record, I’m not planning to forego the incentive.

I’m wondering if it’s worth waiting up until near the election before ordering to see if AWD becomes a reality before then? For resale, performance, added range, etc.

Or is there a risk that the vehicle may not be eligible by the time of delivery at that point?

I’m wondering if it’s worth waiting up until near the election before ordering to see if AWD becomes a reality before then? For resale, performance, added range, etc.

Or is there a risk that the vehicle may not be eligible by the time of delivery at that point?

I am in the same boat as you and most likely others as well.
And i just seen a first Model 3 yesterday cruising around Niagara Falls. Had NY plates. It was so sleek and stealthy, it does look much nicer in person i must say.
Silver with Aero wheels, same setup that i want to configure....it was meant to be for it to drive by me :)
But i really do not want to miss out on the rebate. Tough decisions we will have to make soon.

I think anyone who was wanting to get the long range battery anyway would be losing a big opportunity if they lose the rebate just to get AWD. Just my personal opinion but if you forego the rebate to get AWD, in reality it would end up costing you 14000 plus the cost of the AWD, so at least upwards of 18 grand to get AWD, a marginal improvement in an already very impressive vehicle. Spend the money saved on nice rims and Michelin Xice3’s, and pocket the 16 or 17 thousand left over.

This is a very valid point, and i agree with you 100%.

Assuming Model 3 gets added to the list of eligible EVs, waiting further for those us how can order now and want the rebate seems quite risky

I did a quick analysis with publicly available information, so to help us Ontario folks ponder the risk of waiting and losing the 14K rebate – even should the Liberals get a majority (!).
  • The rebate is part of the 2016-2020 Climate Change Action Plan. The plan indicates that 140M to 160M is being planned for the program beginning in 2017 up to 2020. That money is enough for 10,000 to 11,400 cars with a $14K rebate.
  • Let’s try to estimate how much of this is already spent and how much is left. Let’s assume that for the five quarters since the plan has been in force (from January 1st 2017 to March 31st 2018), EV Sales in Ontario have been flat and equivalent to 2017-Q3 sales reported online here (simplifying assumption).
  • Using the rebates in force for most of that period (until March 9th 2018 actually), I have calculated that EV Rebates granted sum up to approximately $116M or 73% of total program funding over those five quarters only. Highlight of my calculations
  • In Q3 2017, 1872 EVs and BEV were sold, with an average EV rebate of $12,465 per vehicle, for a total of $23.3M.
  • Using Q3-2017 as estimate, five quarters (from 01-2017 to 03-2018) gives $116.5M.
So, it looks like the current EV program could end up being fully spent/ subscribed sometimes this spring/summer, especially with the early arrival of thousands of model 3 in Ontario and a jump in EV sales in Ontario. Therefore, those with the privilege of being able to order now show do so asap if they are serious about clinching the 14K rebate – no matter who they think will win on Election day June 7.

My 2 cents

Neo1974

I'm in the same boat, I think what you might be forgetting is when Tesla reaches 200k in the US the clock will begin to run. Tesla may choose to divert all cars to US reservationists.

Assuming Model 3 gets added to the list of eligible EVs, waiting further for those us how can order now and want the rebate seems quite risky

I did a quick analysis with publicly available information, so to help us Ontario folks ponder the risk of waiting and losing the 14K rebate – even should the Liberals get a majority (!).
  • The rebate is part of the 2016-2020 Climate Change Action Plan. The plan indicates that 140M to 160M is being planned for the program beginning in 2017 up to 2020. That money is enough for 10,000 to 11,400 cars with a $14K rebate.
  • Let’s try to estimate how much of this is already spent and how much is left. Let’s assume that for the five quarters since the plan has been in force (from January 1st 2017 to March 31st 2018), EV Sales in Ontario have been flat and equivalent to 2017-Q3 sales reported online here (simplifying assumption).
  • Using the rebates in force for most of that period (until March 9th 2018 actually), I have calculated that EV Rebates granted sum up to approximately $116M or 73% of total program funding over those five quarters only. Highlight of my calculations
  • In Q3 2017, 1872 EVs and BEV were sold, with an average EV rebate of $12,465 per vehicle, for a total of $23.3M.
  • Using Q3-2017 as estimate, five quarters (from 01-2017 to 03-2018) gives $116.5M.
So, it looks like the current EV program could end up being fully spent/ subscribed sometimes this spring/summer, especially with the early arrival of thousands of model 3 in Ontario and a jump in EV sales in Ontario. Therefore, those with the privilege of being able to order now show do so asap if they are serious about clinching the 14K rebate – no matter who they think will win on Election day June 7.

My 2 cents

Neo1974

Thanks Neo. That was extremely helpful, and therefore I've gone ahead and placed my order!

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 7.18.40 PM.png

My 2 cents

Neo1974

An update from the minister’s office regarding the spend on the CCAP.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ministers-climate-change-action-plan-progress-report-2017#section-7

“Progress
Authorized Commitments (as of December 31, 2017): $47,000,000”

An update from the minister’s office regarding the spend on the CCAP.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ministers-climate-change-action-plan-progress-report-2017#section-7

“Progress
Authorized Commitments (as of December 31, 2017): $47,000,000”
So $47 million of the $140-$160 million had been spend as of December 2017. Doesn't seem to be as close to danger zone as originally thought on the surface unless we're missing something...

Like an election I guess lol

Last edited: