Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also confirm. There is no cap so everybody relax. You’ll get your rebate. Just don’t vote PC lol
Read my post above and/or check out this link https://www.ontario.ca/page/ministers-climate-change-action-plan-progress-report-2017#section-7 scroll down to EV rebate progam. There is a "total allotted amount" of $140M-$160M ($47M spent by end of 2017) , not endless amounts of money... Once it's spent, there is no more funding without the a budget approval to allot more funding. I don't believe the last budget just announced last week has more funding for EV rebate program. Between PHEVs, EVs like LEAF, BOLT and M3s this money will be used up this year. Just M3 reservations alone are estimated to be between 10K-25K.. Even taking low end of 10,0000 reservations X 14K = 140,000,000 ... Better to trust what's in writing than what someone verbally tells you on the phone .... ;)

Last edited:
Read my post above and/or check out this link https://www.ontario.ca/page/ministers-climate-change-action-plan-progress-report-2017#section-7 scroll down to EV rebate progam. There is a "total allotted amount" of $140M-$160M ($47M spent by end of 2017) , not endless amounts of money... Once it's spent, there is no more funding without the a budget approval to allot more funding. I don't believe the last budget just announced last week has more funding for EV rebate program. Between PHEVs, EVs like LEAF, BOLT and M3s this money will be used up this year. Just M3 reservations alone are estimated to be between 10K-25K.. Even taking low end of 10,0000 reservations X 14K = 140,000,000 ... Better to trust what's in writing than what someone verbally tells you on the phone .... ;)
Or you can play AWD chicken!

EV rebate program is not funded through tax i.e. tax payers. The program is funded through cap and trade so as long as the cap and trade is still around, the EV rebate program should still exist and have funding.

I have ordered my M3 on Saturday last week. I have contacted MTO, MPP, and Tesla about Ontario incentives. Everybody saying something "its due for approval and will be listed on the website as and when its approved".
Agree on this as well hence I'm waiting for the website update to make it official. There is a chance that it doesn't get approved then you're on the hook for the $2500 deposit with Tesla and also the cost of the car without the rebate. Tesla will not give you back your $2500 deposit because it's not their problem. The rebate has nothing to do with them.

EV rebate program is not funded through tax i.e. tax payers. The program is funded through cap and trade so as long as the cap and trade is still around, the EV rebate program should still exist and have funding.
Cap & trade funds a lot of the programs, not just EV rebates.... If it's not alloted to EV rebate and government does not update the allotment, the funding will dry up or at the very least government will probably look at reducing the amount paid out.... If model3tracker.info is even close to it's numbers, there's over 25,000 Ontario reservation holders.. 25,000 X 14,000 = $350,000,000, not counting other EV's and PHEVs ... That's an awful lot of $$$

Any chance the ON government is holding off listing the Model 3 for the $14K rebate due to the speculation of high number of reservations? Im wondering why it would be taking this long for them to list it on their site.
That's anyone's guess.... Hopefully not... However the MOT & finance departments are seeing quick rise in rebate applications (40% of all rebates since 2010 were in the last 9 months of 2017 as per link in above posts), and if they project the allotted funding will run out this year (especially with M3 applications starting in say late May), they will need to plan for "what" they are going to do and "when" to communicate to public. If the Conservatives win June 7, this will all be academic, since they'll cancel the program ASAP (days/weeks)

Reactions: navguy12
That's anyone's guess.... Hopefully not... However the MOT & finance departments are seeing quick rise in rebate applications (40% of all rebates since 2010 were in the last 9 months of 2017 as per link in above posts), and if they project the allotted funding will run out this year (especially with M3 applications starting in say late May), they will need to plan for "what" they are going to do and "when" to communicate to public. If the Conservatives win June 7, this will all be academic, since they'll cancel the program ASAP (days/weeks)
There have also been more workable offerings in terms of EV on the market since 2017 and more awareness of them from the public.

I'd fancy a bet that the last 9 months encompassed mostly Tesla's and PHEVs which no longer qualify for the program. There will likely be a big dropoff in claims until the Model 3 comes to town.

Reactions: sitter_k
...Should I be concerned about RWD in the winter time? I live in Toronto, and driven 3 BMW RWD in the past with some issues in heavy snowfall/ice (spin out on the Gardiner with all seasons). People tout the added traction and potential range/performance but been dying to hit the order button. I’m torn...

I think the absolute replies on this repeated question miss the point. Even AWD / 4WD can get stuck in certain conditions, mainly unplowed rural roads and steep hills - I know, that's what we have to reach our chalet in the Gatineau Hills (I know, I know - 1st world problem!). There are parts of Toronto that you could not get up an icy hill in winter with power to only two wheels. If you live in one of those places, you might get stuck once or twice a winter.

If you generally drive on flat roads, 2WD w winter tires should be sufficient for ~99% of circumstances (maybe carrying a shovel and sand cuts this in half). If you frequently need to go up steep hills in winter, before the plows have cleaned, then 2WD might be OK ~90% of the time (10 x more risk of getting stuck). Gauge what roads you need to drive to determine how important AWD is to you. There's no 100% answer to this question.

BTW, braking / stopping will be virtually identical in both configurations. And RWD is better than FWD for getting up hills since the weight's on the back wheels, but they're worse for control going around bends.

Last edited:
My concern (even though I ordered the car already) is what happens when the Model 3 gets listed but they say only for cars ordered from that date forward! I'd hate for the Tesla 1 day reservers to be in limbo.
I called and talked to reps and they information they provided is that any date deadline should be based on registration and plating date, not ordering date. So as long as it's on the website before delivery, we should be ok.

Reactions: Falkirk
My concern (even though I ordered the car already) is what happens when the Model 3 gets listed but they say only for cars ordered from that date forward! I'd hate for the Tesla 1 day reservers to be in limbo.
That was my same concern because there could be a possibility that it won't qualify. I emailed MTO regarding that question and this is the response I got which is the same response it seems like everyone is getting:

Thanks for your inquiry. Tesla has applied for the 2018 Tesla Model 3 to be added to the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicles Incentive Program (EHVIP) list of eligible vehicles. The Ministry is currently undertaking a review process, and once a vehicle has been accepted to the program, the list of eligible vehicles along with the amount of the incentive is updated on the EHVIP website atEligible Electric Vehicles