Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is true. But you do not lose your eligibility to get it after if you order before the policy change (if it changes). For example All Model S and Model X's ordered before March 8 policy change will still get the rebate when their cars are delivered in April/May

That is true. But you do not lose your eligibility to get it after if you order before the policy change (if it changes). For example All Model S and Model X's ordered before March 8 policy change will still get the rebate when their cars are delivered in April/May
I think this only happened because the previous model S and X was on the list originally, but then taken off. In this case, model 3 is not on the list so not sure if the ministry will accept orders made before.

I think this only happened because the previous model S and X was on the list originally, but then taken off. In this case, model 3 is not on the list so not sure if the ministry will accept orders made before.
Keep in mind there is no required phase out period. The Ministry could if they want simply state as of xx date. No more rebate. period.

There are a lot of ‘if’ ‘ ands’ and ‘buts’ surrounding the rebate for the Model 3. We can speculate all we want. I made my decision to configure based on no rebate. If the stars align then awesome!
I really feel for those who need to know their rebate status prior to ordering. Totally understandable. It’s a big chunk of change. The opening of First Production for Canada and the election timing couldn’t be worse. Compounding that is the Model 3 not being on the list yet. It should be just a rubber stamp formality unfortunately it’s a bureaucratic rubber stamp.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Do not assume. MTO programs can be changed anytime. Does not require legislation. There's a likelihood it will not change till fall, but be aware that there is a risk.
I respectively disagree about the timeline to kill EV rebate.... This is an easy one to kill and can be done with the stroke of minister of transport or finance pen, no legislation/debate necessary. Just M3 rebate applications alone (not counting PHEVs, other BEVs) will be hundreds of millions (e.g. say starting with just 7,000 M3 orders (if AWD is opened up) = $98,000,000). I can hear Doug Ford now "we're stopping the Liberal spending waste as we promised". Another factor is the fact the allotted funding for EV rebate program may run out of funding sooner than the fall. See post 169 above

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tempino
I emailed the MTO and got the canned response from Fran and then I replied and asked:

“If I take delivery of the car and the car is not added to the list yet, would I still be eligible for the rebate?”

Fran responded with:

“Please continue to check the site for updates.”

This makes me think that adding M3 to the list is imminent and before the first delivery is taken given that Fran didn’t really answer my question. Just speculating :)

Just M3 rebate applications alone (not counting PHEVs, other BEVs) will be hundreds of millions (e.g. say starting with just 7,000 M3 orders (if AWD is opened up) = $98,000,000). I can hear Doug Ford now "we're stopping the Liberal spending waste as we promised".
You know, it would be neat to corner Douggie into answering how many long term morbidity costs will be added to the provincial health care budget in years to come because he is stunting the growth of EV use in Ontario.

Of course, those morbidity costs don't include lost GDP.......or actual quality of life issues for family members of affected individuals.

You know, it would be neat to corner Douggie into answering how many long term morbidity costs will be added to the provincial health care budget in years to come because he is stunting the growth of EV use in Ontario.

Of course, those morbidity costs don't include lost GDP.......or actual quality of life issues for family members of affected individuals.
unfortunately Douggie doesn't actually "answer" any questions about "how" he's going to do anything he says he's going to do...cause he hasn't got a clue... he's just plays same recorded message that his base want to hear" :(... Sounds like someone down south that used this tactic and it worked ;)

Last edited:
Question. if Doug wins on June 7, when does he really form the Government. I hear its sometime in September.
Depends on how the transfer of power is negotiated between the parties, but that would typically be a couple of weeks after the election. The legislature wouldn't be recalled until September, but as others have mentioned, the EV program rates could be altered by cabinet order very quickly.

Having said that, there is a complication. The money from the cap and trade program goes into a fund that by law has to be spent on environmental initiates. If the EV rebate is cancelled by itself, without legislative changes, the PCs would have to find another program to put the money in.

My guess is that an EV rebate cancellation wouldn't happen immediately and that they would wait for a larger set of legislative changes to take care of the complications That's all that is, though, is a guess. The rebate is at risk at any point past mid-June.

• Informative
Reactions: tombar and Falcon3
Just received this follow up email from my MPP:
Good afternoon, Mr. X
Thank you for your email.
We have been advised that Tesla has applied for the 2018 Tesla Model 3 to be added to the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicles Incentive Program (EHVIP) list of eligible vehicles. The Ministry is currently undertaking a review process. Once a vehicle has been accepted to the program, the list of eligible vehicles along with the amount of the incentive will be updated on the EHVIP website at Eligible Electric Vehicles.
Kind regards,
Caroline
Office of MPP Mike Colle
Eglinton-Lawrence

• Funny
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Just received this follow up email from my MPP:
Good afternoon, Mr. X
Thank you for your email.
We have been advised that Tesla has applied for the 2018 Tesla Model 3 to be added to the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicles Incentive Program (EHVIP) list of eligible vehicles. The Ministry is currently undertaking a review process. Once a vehicle has been accepted to the program, the list of eligible vehicles along with the amount of the incentive will be updated on the EHVIP website at Eligible Electric Vehicles.
Kind regards,
Caroline
Office of MPP Mike Colle
Eglinton-Lawrence
Same old response.