Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received this follow up email from my MPP:
Good afternoon, Mr. X
Thank you for your email.
We have been advised that Tesla has applied for the 2018 Tesla Model 3 to be added to the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicles Incentive Program (EHVIP) list of eligible vehicles. The Ministry is currently undertaking a review process. Once a vehicle has been accepted to the program, the list of eligible vehicles along with the amount of the incentive will be updated on the EHVIP website at Eligible Electric Vehicles.
Kind regards,
Caroline
Office of MPP Mike Colle
Eglinton-Lawrence

Lol so they copied the copied response.

I went ahead and ordered anyway. Why? Because there is no reason for this car not to be added in the next few days. And I would prefer if the car is delivered before the election if possible and be done with it. I will take the chance but I feel its a safe chance.
We ordered for exactly the same reasons, we wanted to get it before the election on June 7 and it qualifies for the rebate now solely on spec, so it should just be a question of time before it appears on the list. One reassuring point is that it is already on the list in Quebec and in British Columbia, therefore there is no reason it would not be also in Ontario.

• Informative
Reactions: Tempino and pmich80
So do you people really think it's possible that I order my car (after it's on the list) and I somehow won't get the rebate? This is an official Government of Ontario program! Maybe I should word that question slightly differently - what would you (and I know this is a guess) think would be the probability that I wouldn't get the rebate (assuming I order after it's on the list and Ford gets elected and Ford removes programs that are going to help the environment (like he has said he is going to do) and I don't receive the car until after the rebate has been removed)? Surely they would have to honour the rebates for vehicles that are in the pipeline - as they did with the Model S & X's when they were removed from the list. I would think the probability is 1% or less. Thanks in advance.

So do you people really think it's possible that I order my car (after it's on the list) and I somehow won't get the rebate? This is an official Government of Ontario program! Maybe I should word that question slightly differently - what would you (and I know this is a guess) think would be the probability that I wouldn't get the rebate (assuming I order after it's on the list and Ford gets elected and Ford removes programs that are going to help the environment (like he has said he is going to do) and I don't receive the car until after the rebate has been removed)? Surely they would have to honour the rebates for vehicles that are in the pipeline - as they did with the Model S & X's when they were removed from the list. I would think the probability is 1% or less. Thanks in advance.
The official rule is: the the rebate can only be applied for on the date the vehicle is actually plated (registered) in Ontario AND while the vehicle is on the list of eligible vehicles. Beyond that, they can do whatever they want, it’s the government!

Yes.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but......yes, not only is it possible but highly probable that you will not get an ev rebate with the current political climate.

Why do you think it's highly probably that you will not get the rebate? If cars are delivered in 8 weeks government will not have changed yet. This is assuming it gets added to the list very soon.

Reactions: Tempino
First and foremost hope for a Minority Government. Secondly there is a better chance of getting the rebate if ordered before the Electric. The right way to do it is to grand father the rule. Elon just said AWD hopes to release AWD by July. i.e. only when they meet the 5000 units a week target. And July 1 till Dec 31 they are going to deliver as many cars as possible in the US so people can get their credits. My projection is we do not see AWD in Canada still late Aug-Sep at the earliest. By then who knows what the rebate situation will be. Hopefully the Federal Government replaces with their own rebate.

The official rule is: the the rebate can only be applied for on the date the vehicle is actually plated (registered) in Ontario AND while the vehicle is on the list of eligible vehicles. Beyond that, they can do whatever they want, it’s the government!

They can do what they want but only up to a point. Surely in order for the government to be taken seriously they have to honour existing deals?

First and foremost hope for a Minority Government. Secondly there is a better chance of getting the rebate if ordered before the Electric. The right way to do it is to grand father the rule. Elon just said AWD hopes to release AWD by July. i.e. only when they meet the 5000 units a week target. And July 1 till Dec 31 they are going to deliver as many cars as possible in the US so people can get their credits. My projection is we do not see AWD in Canada still late Aug-Sep at the earliest. By then who knows what the rebate situation will be. Hopefully the Federal Government replaces with their own rebate.

The thing that bothers me with ordering before the election is 1) what if there is some logistic paperwork delay and it doesn't make it onto the list or 2) that they are jerks about it and say since you ordered it before it was on the list that you are not eligible for the rebate. The federal government rebate might happen but I very much doubt it will end up being $14k. Can anyone think of an example where a canadian provincal or federal government has just pulled the plug on something like this without grandfathering it? I just would think that's how it would work.

The thing that bothers me with ordering before the election is 1) what if there is some logistic paperwork delay and it doesn't make it onto the list or 2) that they are jerks about it and say since you ordered it before it was on the list that you are not eligible for the rebate. The federal government rebate might happen but I very much doubt it will end up being $14k. Can anyone think of an example where a canadian provincal or federal government has just pulled the plug on something like this without grandfathering it? I just would think that's how it would work.
Tesla has a insider :) https://www.linkedin.com/in/myrans/

oh, BTW, I called Tesla Oakville the other day and the sales guy said that the paperwork side of things was done but that it couldn't go on the list until Tesla actually brought a car into Ontario and then there would be a VIN number and then it would be able to be on the list. He had said 3 weeks or more.
That seems plausible. Nobody even knows if the paperwork has fone throught Transport Canada yet.

Why do you think it's highly probably that you will not get the rebate?
I won't get the rebate because I didn't reserve until 05 April 2016. My guess is that I will not see an invite for at least another six weeks.

The election is essentially eight weeks away.

The EV rebate program is viewed by my family, friends and local neighbors as a handout to rich folks.

Right or wrong, that is how it is viewed, politically.

Dougie will get rid of that program as fast as Mike Harris got rid of another politically unpopular program, photo radar, back in the 1990s.

It will be seen by his core constituents as "action against the elites" and "cutting government waste".

It will, of course, have no real effect on the strategic economic issues facing the province, but that does not matter.

Only swift two dimensional action will be seen as a cure for what, supposedly, ails the province.

I've been saying for the past two years not to count on this rebate in one's financial plan for this car.

If you get it, it's the cherry on top.

Reactions: tombar