Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh, BTW, I called Tesla Oakville the other day and the sales guy said that the paperwork side of things was done but that it couldn't go on the list until Tesla actually brought a car into Ontario and then there would be a VIN number and then it would be able to be on the list. He had said 3 weeks or more.

There is a red one sitting in the Yorkdale showroom in Toronto right now. Vin 3555. Probably doesn’t count as it’s just a display model.

I won't get the rebate because I didn't reserve until 05 April 2016. My guess is that I will not see an invite for at least another six weeks.

The election is essentially eight weeks away.

The EV rebate program is viewed by my family, friends and local neighbors as a handout to rich folks.

Right or wrong, that is how it is viewed, politically.

Dougie will get rid of that program as fast as Mike Harris got rid of another politically unpopular program, photo radar, back in the 1990s.

It will be seen by his core constituents as "action against the elites" and "cutting government waste".

It will, of course, have no real effect on the strategic economic issues facing the province, but that does not matter.

Only swift two dimensional action will be seen as a cure for what, supposedly, ails the province.

I've been saying for the past two years not to count on this rebate in one's financial plan for this car.

If you get it, it's the cherry on top.
If the rebate gets cancelled after the election it will be better sweet, that said I'm more than happy to pay full price for the car.

Reactions: navguy12
I won't get the rebate because I didn't reserve until 05 April 2016. My guess is that I will not see an invite for at least another six weeks.

The EV rebate program is viewed by my family, friends and local neighbors as a handout to rich folks.

Dougie will get rid of that program as fast as Mike Harris got rid of another politically unpopular program, photo radar, back in the 1990s.

It will be seen by his core constituents as "action against the elites" and "cutting government waste".

It will, of course, have no real effect on the strategic economic issues facing the province, but that does not matter.

Only swift two dimensional action will be seen as a cure for what, supposedly, ails the province.

I've been saying for the past two years not to count on this rebate in one's financial plan for this car.

I assumption is that Dougie get the election, but who knows... Election has too many variables. Certainly Ppl like me not usually bother to go to the poll stop, will certainly go this time just for my rebate (may be some old people just for their drugs? who knows. :)

That is definitely a concern. Tesla is considered a Luxury Brand now. And was used in the PC debates and will make it into the Ontario debates. Although logic says that a Hybrid Chrysiler Pacifica that gives you 53 kms of EV range and has 16kwh battery should not be on that list. The users of that car will mostly drive it in gas mode.

I, as well as a couple others in the Canadian Model 3 Owner's Group on FB messaged Doug Ford's verified page to see what answer we could get, this answer is the same we all got, and it's more promising than a "We just plan to scrap it". We had a couple different people ask in a couple different ways, and the answer was always "We plan to keep it, but not for expensive EVs"- as always take a politician's answer with a grain of salt.
vypbNMP.png

If the rebate gets cancelled after the election it will be better sweet, that said I'm more than happy to pay full price for the car.

As much as i absolutely love Tesla, I don't think the Model 3 justifies a $85,000 price. To me, the rebate is essential to bringing the cost down to its correct value.

Last edited:
There is a red one sitting in the Yorkdale showroom in Toronto right now. Vin 3555. Probably doesn’t count as it’s just a display model.

OMGoodness, I was so excited when I visited the showroom on the weekend, I didn't even think to check the VIN! Not that it matters I guess, like you say. But all my analysis skills went out the window!!
:)

• Funny
Reactions: Falkirk and 03DSG
I, as well as a couple others in the Canadian Model 3 Owner's Group on FB messaged Doug Ford's verified page to see what answer we could get, this answer is the same we all got, and it's more promising than a "We just plan to scrap it". We had a couple different people ask in a couple different ways, and the answer was always "We plan to keep it, but not for expensive EVs"- as always take a politician's answer with a grain of salt.
vypbNMP.png
I'd suggest folks don't 'poke the sleeping bear' too much... ;). If Conseratives dig into M3 reservation estimates for Ontario, whatever slim hope there is will likely be killed. Having said that I'm sceptical Doug means what he said " I would like to keep.....", he just wants your vote.

Last edited:
vypbNMP.png
I'd suggest folks don't 'poke the sleeping bear' too much... ;). If Conseratives dig into M3 reservation estimates for Ontario, whatever slim hope there is will likely be killed. Having said that I'm sceptical Doug means what he said " I would like to keep.....", he just wants your vote.
good point. Liberals will continue to support the program though. Just saying.

As much as i absolutely love Tesla, I don't think the Model 3 justifies a $85,000 price. To me, the rebate is essential to bringing the cost down to its correct value.

AWD, PUP, LR, AP = about $80,000 + tax I thought

For that you get a car that performs like an Audi S4 or Mercedes C43. Those are $70,000 cars that use gasoline so when you do the math, the Model 3 kind of lines up nicely even without the rebate. When you factor in better depreciation on electric vehicles, you're probably ahead of the game. When you get $14,000 for it, that's making it a tough case for something like the S4/340/C43

The aspect of these cars that people forget is performance. To match the performance of an AWD LR tesla model 3 with a fossil car you're looking at the mid-level performance versions of the germans. not the RS/M/AMG proper cars, but the S4/340/C43.

A P version of a model 3 will match up with an RS4/5 or an M3/4 and C63. Those are $90,000 cars. The P version of the model 3 will likely push close to that range, maybe more like $100,000 all in. Personally I think the P will be a package, not a different car. i.e. you can opt for the $19,000 performance package including ludicrous mode, better brakes, air. This lets the cars qualify for restrictive gov't programs that are based on MSRP before options.

vypbNMP.png
anyone stop hating Doug Ford after reading that?

So you are counting on the conservative elected officials to be ignorant of the situation, and this hope would then allow you to vote for them? #sad

So you are counting on the conservative elected officials to be ignorant of the situation, and this hope would then allow you to vote for them? #sad
Maybe he's voting on other issues, maybe his local mpp is doing a great job and is a Conservative or the liberal in his riding isn't up to his standard, maybe EVs aren't top of his mind, maybe he works in an industry that the current provincial government hasn't done a good job regulating. But still wants 14k off his car.

Reactions: McFlurri