Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AWD, PUP, LR, AP = about $80,000 + tax I thought

For that you get a car that performs like an Audi S4 or Mercedes C43. Those are $70,000 cars that use gasoline so when you do the math, the Model 3 kind of lines up nicely even without the rebate. When you factor in better depreciation on electric vehicles, you're probably ahead of the game. When you get $14,000 for it, that's making it a tough case for something like the S4/340/C43

The aspect of these cars that people forget is performance. To match the performance of an AWD LR tesla model 3 with a fossil car you're looking at the mid-level performance versions of the germans. not the RS/M/AMG proper cars, but the S4/340/C43.

A P version of a model 3 will match up with an RS4/5 or an M3/4 and C63. Those are $90,000 cars. The P version of the model 3 will likely push close to that range, maybe more like $100,000 all in. Personally I think the P will be a package, not a different car. i.e. you can opt for the $19,000 performance package including ludicrous mode, better brakes, air. This lets the cars qualify for restrictive gov't programs that are based on MSRP before options.

Pricing an S4 with similar options is $63K plus tax vs. $77K plus for the Model 3 so it's $15K after tax difference. With the rebate, the Model 3 comes out ahead for sure when you also factor in fuel/maintenance, that's why i'm excited for my Model 3. I think when it comes down to it, the extra $12K for the long range battery is really whats hurt us though. For those getting the standard Battery next year (and don't need the long range) the value of the Model 3 is incredible.

I can't imagine how fast the performance AWD is going to be. I wish i could afford that car.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
anyone stop hating Doug Ford after reading that?

The fact that he did not even know that now Tesla's (or any EV above $75K) currently do not get the incentive, does not bode well for his interest in the matter. He will be coming in very green to these kinds of policy's. When responding to specific questions like this, he is likely to sit on the fence. Who knows what he will really do when confronted by his supporters. I'd like to see their platform back on the web like when Brown was leader.

The fact that he did not even know that now Tesla's (or any EV above $75K) currently do not get the incentive, does not bode well for his interest in the matter. He will be coming in very green to these kinds of policy's. When responding to specific questions like this, he is likely to sit on the fence. Who knows what he will really do when confronted by his supporters. I'd like to see their platform back on the web like when Brown was leader.

What are you referring to? He said he'd like to leave it and said he didn't think $120,000 teslas should qualify. Not sure how you think this means he doesn't know about the $75,000 policy. He's basically agreeing with the latest version of the plan. He didn't sit on the fence. He doesn't think rich people buying supercar priced teslas should qualify for $14,000.

Reactions: McFlurri
Pricing an S4 with similar options is $63K plus tax vs. $77K plus for the Model 3 so it's $15K after tax difference. With the rebate, the Model 3 comes out ahead for sure when you also factor in fuel/maintenance, that's why i'm excited for my Model 3. I think when it comes down to it, the extra $12K for the long range battery is really whats hurt us though. For those getting the standard Battery next year (and don't need the long range) the value of the Model 3 is incredible.

I can't imagine how fast the performance AWD is going to be. I wish i could afford that car.
S4 with advanced cruise control, lane keeping assist and all the bells and whistles is $63 000? Thought it was conisiderably more.

Edit : Just priced one out at $66,000 or so. Thought they were pushing $75,000 nicely equipped

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180409-170128_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180409-170128_Chrome.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 59
What are you referring to? He said he'd like to leave it and said he didn't think $120,000 teslas should qualify. Not sure how you think this means he doesn't know about the $75,000 policy. He's basically agreeing with the latest version of the plan. He didn't sit on the fence. He doesn't think rich people buying supercar priced teslas should qualify for $14,000.

$120,000 Tesla already don't get the incentive so I took it that he didn't know that since he brought it up. I could be wrong.

When asked whether he would keep the incentive plan or not he sat on the fence.

If he scraps Cap and Trade, which he said he would, there will be no funds to support EV incentives.

$120,000 Tesla already don't get the incentive so I took it that he didn't know that since he brought it up. I could be wrong.

When asked whether he would keep the incentive plan or not he sat on the fence.

If he scraps Cap and Trade, which he said he would, there will be no funds to support EV incentives.

I think you're right. Personally, I'm treating the rebate as if it has a very very small window of opportunity left. I hope I'm wrong but I like to to prepare for the worst.

Reactions: yo2boy and navguy12

And also it would be prudent to find out Doug Ford's views on climate change because without a profound understanding of what harm burning fossil fuels is doing to future generations, he will unlikely support those policies. Much like the conservative party to the south.

To be fair to Dougie he did not bring it up in the debates. It was that wing-nut Tania who represents the religious right who brought it up. Now that Dougie has cut a deal with Tania's faction, not sure what he has promised them. This is also the women who said she will uproot every wind turbine in the province.

. Much like the conservative party to the south.
As an avid anti-trumper, this is the type of branding by the left I fear in Ontario/Canada.

Wynn is not the cure or the antithesis of Trump. The liberals aren't as left as the PCs make them out to be and the PCs aren't the Republicans the left make them out to be. Most of each party is just left or right of centre.

Reactions: McFlurri
If the reason for the delay in listing the Model 3 on the ON EVHIP website is due to govt certification, I guess that would mean that the BC and QC governments have already certified it? Hmmm....Im wondering if the ON govt is hesitating to list the Model 3 due to the speculated high number of reservations.

If the reason for the delay in listing the Model 3 on the ON EVHIP website is due to govt certification, I guess that would mean that the BC and QC governments have already certified it? Hmmm....Im wondering if the ON govt is hesitating to list the Model 3 due to the speculated high number of reservations.

Federal certification is already completed I believe. The Model 3 LR is listed on the Natural Resources of Canada's site with it's fuel efficient rating.

This should be nothing more than ON being slow as usual.

If they do not put it on the list then they should pull out the 75k BMW, Volvo and Mercedes Hybrids.

Isn't the purpose of this incentive to get more people to buy an EV?