Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
af1zUXe.png

Get the rebate while you still can!
I guess everyone here is a Liberal insider! Ha. I was all prepared to vote for the Tories again this time around, but every time Ford opens his mouth I say no way to myself. Anybody else as leader, I would have said yes.

I guess everyone here is a Liberal insider! Ha. I was all prepared to vote for the Tories again this time around, but every time Ford opens his mouth I say no way to myself. Anybody else as leader, I would have said yes.
A buddy of mine is hard core conservative, and yesterday he told me he can't vote for Ford.....

A buddy of mine is hard core conservative, and yesterday he told me he can't vote for Ford.....
I'm not a hardcore Conservative, I do donate.., very small c, Doug Ford was my 3rd choice as leader, I have a M3 reservation that I haven't pulled the trigger on because I'm waiting for AWD. So I really want this evip for this very expensive car that I'm about to get. I think the evip is important to further sustainable transportation and to benefit our environment and if more people don't adopt EVs it can't succeed it needs this incubator, all that said I will be voting PC and hoping the rebate sticks if it doesn't I will gladly pay the extra 14k.

And Trump is mentally, morally and emotionally unfit for office he should be removed by any legal means! He's a theset to democracy and society. Just to put that out there since Conservative equals Trump now lol

Reactions: 03DSG
Unforti
I'm not a hardcore Conservative, I do donate.., very small c, Doug Ford was my 3rd choice as leader, I have a M3 reservation that I haven't pulled the trigger on because I'm waiting for AWD. So I really want this evip for this very expensive car that I'm about to get. I think the evip is important to further sustainable transportation and to benefit our environment and if more people don't adopt EVs it can't succeed it needs this incubator, all that said I will be voting PC and hoping the rebate sticks if it doesn't I will gladly pay the extra 14k.

And Trump is mentally, morally and emotionally unfit for office he should be removed by any legal means! He's a theset to democracy and society. Just to put that out there since Conservative equals Trump now lol

Unfortunately I think we'll see a big protest and "simple politics" vote just like with Trump. EHVIP is a good example - Conservatives should have no problem spinning it as an "your taxes paying for rich guys to buy $100k cars", even if that is no longer the truth in detail. I suspect your average ON voter has no interest in electric vehicles or the environment, which isn't unreasonable seeing as plenty of people are just working hard to make ends meet. It's not tough to appeal to peoples' traditional short-term and wallet-driven needs.

Unforti

Unfortunately I think we'll see a big protest and "simple politics" vote just like with Trump. EHVIP is a good example - Conservatives should have no problem spinning it as an "your taxes paying for rich guys to buy $100k cars", even if that is no longer the truth in detail. I suspect your average ON voter has no interest in electric vehicles or the environment, which isn't unreasonable seeing as plenty of people are just working hard to make ends meet. It's not tough to appeal to peoples' traditional short-term and wallet-driven needs.
I disagree, Ontarians care about the environment look how fast Doug Ford had to walk back the green belt reduction, it even surprised me to TBH. Another reason why it's unfair to brand Ford as Trump.

I agree in the fact that we have 2 terrible choices here.

and the NDP...

If you don't like any of your local candidates hoping for your vote in the upcoming provincial election, there's a way you can cast a ballot without voting for any of them. Here’s a quick primer on how to make your choice: "None of the above."

Section 53 of the Ontario Elections Act, which states that voters unwilling to choose a candidate, or abstain from the process, can essentially vote for no one instead.

According to the law, voters who submit unmarked ballots will have their choice counted as "declined," and it will count towards the tally of voters who chose not to support any candidate at all.

The declined ballots are counted separately from those that have been "spoiled" with an illegible or otherwise unclear mark. To decline your ballot, tell the election official that you are declining your right to vote when they hand you a ballot. This is a public process and is done out loud. The election official will mark “declined” on the election documentation and your ballot will not be placed in the ballot box but in an envelope for declined ballots.

For a ballot to be declined, a voter must leave the ballot completely blank.

Declined ballots are often considered protest votes, sending a message to politicians that voters are unhappy either with politicians' behaviour, or with the options available.

--------

I fear that this is going to be my option. I will exercise my right to vote... but they are all just terrible choices. REALLY wish the conservatives had chosen a different leader :(

Last edited:
Section 53 of the Ontario Elections Act, which states that voters unwilling to choose a candidate, or abstain from the process, can essentially vote for no one instead.
Careful there. The Elections Ontario site provides the following text, and this matches what I remember from the several times I worked at polling stations when I was a student:
To decline your ballot, tell the election official that you are declining your right to vote when they hand you a ballot. This is a public process and is done out loud. The election official will mark “declined” on the election documentation and your ballot will not be placed in the ballot box but in an envelope for declined ballots.

Careful there. The Elections Ontario site provides the following text, and this matches what I remember from the several times I worked at polling stations when I was a student:
Thank you very much for this. My information may be out of date. I will add that to the above post.

The important thing is that voters VOTE. But it doesn't mean you have to vote for someone.

I'll echo what I've said in the past though. Please do not vote for someone based solely off of ONE issue (ie. you want the rebate). I understand that it's something we all want... but at what price?

This is a terrible election cycle for Ontario. The Liberals have been terrible stewards of our money and are stale. The only thing worse is the Conservatives under Ford. He has already proven he will make up policy on a napkin and toss it in a second. He has no understanding of the underlying basis for our problems or real solutions. If we want manufacturing and cutting edge jobs the sustainable base for that has to be built. New tech and adoption, by rebate where appropriate, is a long term growth necessity. Blaming and belittling is not solving. And then there is the NDP. Praying for a minority that preserves a focus on the future.