Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The answer is "it's complicated". The more you learn about the program and the mechanisms that drive it, the more confidence you will have that the future will unfold as you imagine. But there are no guarantees. We are at the mercy of the new party that is now in power and all their communication to date has been a little vague in respect to how they are actually going to execute their promise of ending cap and trade. They are very committed to ending it but a little short on an actual plan.

For more info, here's a star article.

Hopefully there will be pressure to bear that will have some impact and perhaps soften the blow or delay it somehow. For example, here's another article on Ontario’s first Green Party MPP, Mike Schreiner and his thoughts on Ford's plan.

Thanks felixculpas
You summarized it perfect

Very excited and placed the order for AWD yesterday. The rebate for AWD is uncertain but what about the incentive for $1500 home charger installation? Can I get an electrician to install the garage charger now and submit the rebate application? How should this exactly work?

Thanks!

I also placed my order jus now, for AWD Long range.
Let's see how future unfolds.

Reactions: mahagala
Ad I understand it, options don’t count toward the price ceiling. You should read the website their for the rules. You also need to own the car to apply for the rebate so, that would be the timing issue.

This is correct, the base price is all that matters as long as the specific options packages are listed in the approved model list. Currently only RWD + LR is approved.

Congrats Anto. I reserved and ordered in the same month so it will be a few months at minimum for me and unfortunately no further ahead today in understanding how long the rebate will be available for. So I took off EAP and FSD tonight to hedge my bets. Tried calling Tesla but the automated message said that due to high call volume from the release of reservations I would have to call back in a few days!

I was originally presuming delivery wouldn't be till the spring 2019 which would have suited me fine (with rebate that is) but gotta roll with it a bit. New government, new rules. I'm conservative but didn't vote for them. How you can say you are transparent on one hand but not have a plan on the other is beyond me but that's politics.

Summer session starts July 11 so I'm sure we'll know better how the rebate will be handled in the next couple of weeks.

This is unfortunately the situation we're in. My original plan was to wait for standard range in Jan-Apr 2019 timeframe as well, but ended up pulling the trigger early due to the governmental shift.

I sincerely hope it doesn't disappear quite yet, but unfortunately I think it's quite likely to go away before Sep.

I finally got the call this morning at 10am, telling me if I get the paperwork filled out by 11, I can have it delivered today. It's on it's way from Toronto to Ottawa and will arrive by Midnight!

Also got the paperwork filled in for EVIP before 5PM since I had it already.

Looking forward to the long weekend! :)

So after getting a call at 3PM confirming that this was OK, the car was shipped out from Toronto at 5PM and arrived at 11:30PM yesterday. Was quite the wait!!

Note to anyone interested: It took a few hours after delivery for the vehicle to show up in my Tesla account as active so I could use the app.

Cant decide whether I should go ahead and order the rwd + extended range model 3. Placed my 1000 deposit yesterday and wasn’t expecting to be able to configure so soon.

I was planning on waiting for the standard range model 3 and accepting that I wasnt going to get the rebate... but should I go ahead and try to get the extended range rear wheel drive and hope to take delivery before Doug Ford cancels the rebate?

The estimated delivery time is 3-5 months....

I would hold off and wait until official government announcement before deciding... 5 months is way off
Let's look at some facts:

1/ LR + RWD is on the official list
2/ Ford may cancel it, but the short summer seating is July 11 ish, May not have time to do anything
3/ Even if he does, there will be a grace period, and I believe if you order it before the announcement is made, you will be fine
4/ EV rebate fund is limited, about $140 million or so, that is about 100,000 rebate, people think it will run out by end of year even if Ford doesn't do anything. I think with that in mind, he probably won't and can wash his hand clean.
5/ It is easy to say you want to cancel it, it is totally different if you actually try to cancel, lots of legal issues.
6/ Floodgate is open, there will be quite a few folks that jump on it. I did.

Therefore, if you order it today, you have a much higher chance to get the rebate; if you don't, there won't be anything left. I, for one thing, is treating the rebate as a bonus. My car requires Premium fuel, it is now $1.54 per liter, ouch.

Tesla may and will shift delivery to Ontario if they know what Ontario government is up to; just like what they do in April.

Mine is saying Sep 18 to Nov 18 for delivery. I heard others saying it is Oct to Dec now if you put your order in today.

Oh, it is too late to meet the July 1, 2018 deadline for Free enhanced LTE connectivity.

Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: mahagala
I agree with it, but hope its not true
HAs anyone tried to contact Tesla to check if they are trying for AWD Long range to be on the list?

Well, on the ordering page for AWD Tesla very prominently states the price with the $14,000 Ontario incentive subtracted, so they most definitely should be trying to add AWD. Now whether they will succeed considering the cancellation being imminent, that is another question.

Why are you all assuming five months? There are posts from people getting delivery appointments in a week or so. Hundreds of cars are already made. The problem is that for a while the delivery timeframes are the MAX delivery times, and you might have to be prepared to take the car in a couple of weeks.

Not ideal, but I bet that’s the way July and August will go!

I ordered mine yesterday, I'm not clear why anyone is worried about not getting the rebate. It's clearly on the Ontario government website and says nothing about when it will be over. Just because the moronic Doug Ford wants to cancel it doesn't mean they can penalize people that have already placed orders. That's basically like bait and switch so I would love to see how they can legally deny someone the rebate when they placed their orders while the program was fully active. As far as I'm concerned they will have to honor it up until the day they actually announce it is terminated.

Reactions: BKR1986
Why are you all assuming five months? There are posts from people getting delivery appointments in a week or so. Hundreds of cars are already made. The problem is that for a while the delivery timeframes are the MAX delivery times, and you might have to be prepared to take the car in a couple of weeks.

Not ideal, but I bet that’s the way July and August will go!
I think you may have found yourself in the wrong thread. People getting delivery appointments is for US cars, The Ontario EHVIP program is in Canada, and our delivery timing is completely different. 5+ months is very accurate.

Let's look at some facts:

1/ LR + RWD is on the official list
2/ Ford may cancel it, but the short summer seating is July 11 ish, May not have time to do anything
3/ Even if he does, there will be a grace period, and I believe if you order it before the announcement is made, you will be fine
4/ EV rebate fund is limited, about $140 million or so, that is about 100,000 rebate, people think it will run out by end of year even if Ford doesn't do anything. I think with that in mind, he probably won't and can wash his hand clean.
5/ It is easy to say you want to cancel it, it is totally different if you actually try to cancel, lots of legal issues.
6/ Floodgate is open, there will be quite a few folks that jump on it. I did.

Therefore, if you order it today, you have a much higher chance to get the rebate; if you don't, there won't be anything left. I, for one thing, is treating the rebate as a bonus. My car requires Premium fuel, it is now $1.54 per liter, ouch.

Tesla may and will shift delivery to Ontario if they know what Ontario government is up to; just like what they do in April.

Mine is saying Sep 18 to Nov 18 for delivery. I heard others saying it is Oct to Dec now if you put your order in today.

Oh, it is too late to meet the July 1, 2018 deadline for Free enhanced LTE connectivity.

Hope that helps.

One small correction Ben, probably just a typo. If there is $140,000,000 left in the fund it would equate to 10,000 $14k incentives not 100,000.

One small correction Ben, probably just a typo. If there is $140,000,000 left in the fund it would equate to 10,000 $14k incentives not 100,000.

haha, Canada Day...

Fat finger.... Another reason why I think Ford will just let it go until fund is used all up. He won't get blamed for it. Remember, he never said he will cancel the EV rebate, he just said he will kill Cap and Trade. People assume that since EV rebate is part of the Cap and Trade, it will get cancelled as well.

On the other hand, fund generated from cap and Trade must be used to fund Green initiative.

Of course, just my wishful thinking.

I did the same thing although I may never add EAP back as 95% of my driving is city (is the summon feature worth 6600?). Can't wait to shed the 16L per 100km of my SUV.

I tried contacting TESLA yesterday afternoon and the message said they were experiencing high call volumes due to having released reservations and to try back in a few days...click! No ability to hold. This was with a few hours left in their day so not a last minute call by any means.

You have to consider that most car manufacturers have model years that change on an annual basis (with some exceptions) so the list tends to follow that. It's not like they keep republishing the list every week if someone releases a new EV. Even if they certified the AWD, that doesn't mean it would make it on the approved list for quite some time.

I don't mean to be negative but I think it would be a miracle at this point to be getting an EHVIP rebate on an AWD M3 this year. What you might hope for is that the feds step in quickly if Ford cuts the program but the worry there (for myself as well) is that you would fall in between those 2 events and still not be eligible for anything. I doubt any federal incentive is going to be retroactive but ideally it would be to the point in time the EHVIP program ended for example. That's a lot of if's though.

What I did on my M3 LR RWD order was a little obtuse...to hedge my bets on the possibility of not getting the rebate, given no announcement from Ford yesterday, I removed EAP and FSD from my order (after they wouldn't take my call to talk to them about it). I am also in the camp of those that can't justify buying a 2018 EV without an incentive but this is my work around if the rebate isn't available to me (typical Sept 18 - Nov 18 delivery estimate). Then if it's looking solid that I would get the rebate after an announcement of some sort, I would add those features back in - if there was no penalty to do so (well ahead of delivery).

You might argue that if I can afford those features with a rebate, I should be getting no rebate and affording what I can - a M3 without those features. FSD I would agree on but EAP is kinda silly to not have - given you've bought a car with the hardware capabilities. I had already set my budget (65k) and that's what drives my decisions. If this doesn't work out for me, I'd also consider selling the order and buying an ICE.

Tesla has created some strange scenarios for people having released reservations + making today the last day to order and receive free premium internet and at a time when there are fluctuations in incentive programs. It's no wonder their lines were clogged up.

What I also wanted to ask them was if the 2 features would have any effect on my delivery date. You would think they would as that's pure profit. If I knew that and also knew the rebate program was ending the end of October, then I'd definitely add them back in for example.

Hopefully Ford makes an announcement soon and has some leniency with how the EHVIP program is phased out.