Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly not discounting that all hope is lost but it would still warrant getting some clarification from Tesla perhaps.

Cancelling your order AND losing your deposit is probably the worst case scenario. I hope no one has to consider doing that.

I see lots of conversions to AWD and maybe dropping of EAP / FSD though.

I wish it was that easy, but Tesla will cater to the USA market first and help them get their tax credit before they help us in Ontario get our rebate.

The fact that they sent the Model 3 here when they did was just to delay the 200,000 delivery in the USA until July. It wasn't to do us a favor, it was to do the USA a favor.

Besides, it says in plain English that you have to have you car delivered on or before TODAY with plates to qualify. Those of us without a car are SOL.

The part about dealers who placed an order before today will not apply to us; Tesla is a manufacture, not a dealer. Either cancel your orders, or pony up the dough. ALL HOPE FOR THE 14K IS LOST.

Unfortunately, people who delayed their reservations to wait for AWD just payed 20k for that one feature. Let's hope that car rips through the snowy streets of Toronto like a hot knife through butter.
Disagree. Tesla is an auto maker with dealerships. I was in 1 today in fact.

It said 4-8 weeks when I ordered. But I have seen or heard anything since then. There is no ETA on any document or the web site when I log in.

I suggest you call Tesla to confirm the dates. They basically bait and switched me after I ordered with the changed timelines so I'm thinking of cancelling and demanding my money back (with good reason)

If they actually delivered within the 8 weeks of we would qualify for the rebate. This is why I placed my order when I did.

I could be wrong but I don't buy this "you need a VIN" or "you need your car today to qualify" statements being tossed around. The way it's worded leaves plenty of room for Tesla buyers to still qualify as there is no dealer involved in the ordering process. "Dealer" is effectively the manufacturer in this case as that's where you order from.

Last edited:
It said 4-8 weeks when I ordered. But I have seen or heard anything since then. There is no ETA on any document or the web site when I log in.

Exactly the same situation as me. I ordered June 19. When I called ~2 weeks ago, I asked about the delivery estimate and was told that as long as they don’t notify me of a change, the original estimate should hold. Therefore, I’m not going to poke the bear and hope for the best lol.

Reactions: sitter_k
Exactly the same situation as me. I ordered June 19. When I called ~2 weeks ago, I asked about the delivery estimate and was told that as long as they don’t notify me of a change, the original estimate should hold. Therefore, I’m not going to poke the bear and hope for the best lol.
Do you see that 4-8 weeks window anywhere? I recall that when I ordered on June 6th (the day before the election), but cannot find reference to that anywhere. I have no VIN and nothing resembling a delivery date.

On another note, the wording on the Ontario EV rebate end notice only says dealers who ordered before today but plated by Sept 10 are eligable. I am not sure if individuals who ordered directly with he manufacture would be eligable, even if we take delivery before Sept 10.

This can be really bad...
I will try to email my MPP for the first timer ever and ask to see if he can apply some common sense to this.

On another note, the wording on the Ontario EV rebate end notice only says dealers who ordered before today but plated by Sept 10 are eligable. I am not sure if individuals who ordered directly with he manufacture would be eligable, even if we take delivery before Sept 10.

I think they purposely worded that way to exclude Tesla orders, they know if they give a window, Tesla will do a rush delivery. It is possible that their budget was already shrinking anyway. Otherwise, why would they mention consumer in the first point and mention "dealership with manufacturer" in the second point.

if they do that, then it is pure evil.
Why would tesla do a rush any more than any other dealer? The purchases are already made. There would be a rush if they said the order deadline was say next week, but that is not the case as almost all potentially eligable orders are made before this announcement. Some of us made the decision to purchase and placed our non refundable deposit even before ford was elected

What I don’t understand is the greenon rebates that he cancelled, they grandfathered people that had contracts to do renovations as long as they did the work by a certain date and submitted by a certain date. Why wouldn’t they grandfather all the people that ordered as of today? Seems like you will have tons of people pissed since it’s taking so long to receive cars

Reactions: akidesir
if they do that, then it is pure evil.
Why would tesla do a rush any more than any other dealer? The purchases are already made. There would be a rush if they said the order deadline was say next week, but that is not the case as almost all potentially eligable orders are made before this announcement. Some of us made the decision to purchase and placed our non refundable deposit even before ford was elected
I agree. I am leaning more towards the side that any existing purchase order before/on July 11 meeting Sep 10 delivery will be honoured, be it with a dealership or manufacturer. However this will require clarification from MTO/Tesla/FordNation to be determined 100%.