Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only hope is for Trudeau to implement a federal rebate or tax credit. But get ready to wait 12-24 months I bet.

We could call on Catherine McKenna (federal Minister for the Environment) to put the ~$450 M she's going to take back from Ontario for cancelling Cap'n'Trade, and put it towards a federal EV rebate. It would apply to all provinces, not just Ontario, and it wouldn't be worth $14 K I doubt, but it's a fair proposal, no?

Everyone?

Reactions: phigment
Disagree. Tesla is an auto maker with dealerships. I was in 1 today in fact.

They aren't "dealerships". They're "Stores & Galleries" (see below). That's why state laws protecting dealerships inhibit sales in Texas and others which have them.

2018-07-11 22_41_03-Window.png

Reactions: adaptabl
So a leaf ordered yesterday is covered and a model 3 isn’t? I can’t imagine that standing up to a legal challenge when both vehicles were on the eligible list. I think it’s far more likely that they mean ordered before tomorrow and delivered by September. Just as a court wouldn’t let Tesla get away with things by claiming they aren’t a dealership, the government won’t get away with refusing their cars because they don’t have dealers. A rose by any other name doctrine.

Let’s say Tesla had a massive number of canceled orders not felt my the other EV manufacturers, I could see Tesla themselves suing Dougie.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
All Hope IS lot. Tesla is a Manufacturer. Not a dealer. It was worded this way to EXCLUDE Tesla. Even if you get your car tomorrow. It's not fast enough. Gotta get it before 11:59pm.

Dealers are like the store, manufacturers are where the "store" get their inventory. Tesla doesn't use Dealers. You buy direct from the manufacturer. So unless YOU are a dealer (which you're not, you're a consumer) it doesn't count. This isn't some small technicality that just happened to screw us up. It was intentional, so they they wouldn't have to pay out all these model 3 deliveries. Sorry friend. Better cancel your order (and lose the deposit), or go get a bigger loan.

Yes. You are right.

Currently, for EV, the only chance to get one with rebate would be Leaf. Some Nissan dealer still has Leaf inventories. Go shop immediately before they all gone.

Huh? I think the person we should be tweeting is Doug Ford to get clarification on how the policy applies to Model 3 orders.

You really think he gives a rats ass? His minister yesterday literally said Tesla drivers are "millionaires" being given $14k by working people. Can't find a link but I read it. These guys are on some dumb-ass mission where facts don't matter one little bit.

EDIT: Found it - it was Todd Smith, house leader but you can bet this has come right from talking with Drug - PCs to end York strike and kill cap-and-trade law during rare summer session of the Ontario legislature | The Star

“Of course there was the $14,000 rebate program for millionaires who were going to get that rebate to buy a Tesla or an electric vehicle. Those are the types of programs that were killed as a result of the cap-and-trade program,”

Last edited:
Tesla does have dealerships, what they don't have is independent dealerships. (A lot of states/provinces require a dealership license to be able to sell cars.)
We need MTO to clarify the situation specifically for Tesla... The wording seems to suggest that order before July 11 and deliver before Sept 11 exception only applies to dealers who order from the mfg. In our situation, it is us (consumer) who order from the mfg. I mean, it should apply in spirit, but that isn't what the wording suggest.

Holy crap people.

Just earlier today (almost) everyone thought that June 30th was the cut-off date. Now they basically added 2 weeks to the cut-off date and people are still mad?

We all knew this was coming. The wording off the MTO website is clear.

YES, TESLA IS REGISTERED AS A DEALER

"Class of Registration GENERAL DEALER"

Straight from the OMVIC website https://www.omvic.on.ca/RegistrantSearch/Profile/Dealer.aspx?PID=194599

I understand we (and Tesla) call them Stores and Galleries... but they are company owned dealers in Ontario which means section 2 will apply.

The pressure is now on Tesla to expedite the orders to be delivered by September 10th 2018.

Do you see that 4-8 weeks window anywhere? I recall that when I ordered on June 6th (the day before the election), but cannot find reference to that anywhere. I have no VIN and nothing resembling a delivery date.

You have to call Tesla to get your estimated date of delivery. Alternatively (you still have to contact them) they can unlock your order to allow the option of editing it. If you do this (I did) you'll see the new date clearly listed as 3 to 5 months. You can unlock your order and as long as you don't make changes your place in line won't change according to the Tesla representative I spoke with yesterday.

I suspect they changed it for everyone in June who locked in an order which is technically a bait and switch dick move and gives us grounds to get our pre-order and down-payment money back.

I really wanted the regular AWD model but not for an extra $20K. Insult to injury would be to not get the 14K and not get AWD.

Canceling seems like the right move now but I'm probably going to wait in the off chance we still somehow get our cars before the cutoff date.

I think it would be wise to take a collective deep breath and see over the next week or so what feedback might be gleaned from Tesla. I realize they are trying to make the US customers happy now before the end of the year but that's a tax break of 7500 that then get's dropped in half? So the net loss if anyone was affected by re-routing a couple weeks production at most wouldn't be that much whereas for people here it's 14k.

So from that perspective, I'm hoping Elon tries his best to divert some production up here to kill this concept of rebates off once and for all till there's a more encompassing federal program perhaps.

Problem with that is Trudeau will soon be into re-election mode, I'll bet many of his upcoming decisions will be with that in mind and he already has some baggage he's accumulated. I'm not as sure as I once was that there will be federal EV incentives in lieu of Fordenstein's actions.
Perhaps take that production from states that have their own EV incentive as well. Losing the 14k is honestly like arriving in the store during a sale but having the registers close before you make your purchase, how likely are you to come back the next day and make your purchase for a want item?

Your link leads to nothing. OMVIC’s website doesn’t allow external linking to search results which is why I didn’t provide the link. Check before you post!
It worked for me. Shows
Legal Name TESLA MOTORS CANADA ULC
Business Name TESLA MOTORS
Status REGISTERED
Class of Registration GENERAL DEALER
Subclass NEW AND USED MOTOR VEHICLES
Operating Status ACTIVE