Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what I just emailed the Environment Minister:

Subject: EV rebate: when will the Liberal government step in with its own, progressive EV incentive

Hi Ms. McKenna,

I live in your riding in Ottawa Centre. I want to buy an electric car (EV) to reduce my carbon footprint. The Ford government has just cancelled its EHVIP program. This affects if I can make the switch from fossil fuel burning vehicle to a clean EV. You have said that such a policy would put $420 million of federal funding at risk.

I'm writing to ask you if and when the federal government will step in and do what's right for the environment and support a federal EV rebate program to incentivize people like myself to buy electric cars and contribute to Canada's GHGE targets. You could use this $420 million as one source of funds for what would be a popular and important initiative. Not to mention, this would offset some of the Liberal government's contradictory focus on pipelines and fossil fuel projects.

Please let me know what you plan to do.

Thank you,
I think the task for everyone in this forum today should be to sent an email like this to Ms McKenna requesting a federal rebate/tax credit. The liberals can do something big here, provide funding/tax relief to taxpayers that will actually benefit the environment.
Strength in numbers.

I just call. Spoke to a lady who simply re-read the press release to me.

After some questions, she said “so you’re an individual who purchased a vehicle and didn’t plate it before yesterday. Then you don’t qualify.”

I said what if I get a dealership to take over my purchase order so they can get the rebate. She said I’ll “have to argue with someone else” and took my name/number for someone to call me back.
You know how some people have a stereotype about government workers......???

I just call. Spoke to a lady who simply re-read the press release to me.

After some questions, she said “so you’re an individual who purchased a vehicle and didn’t plate it before yesterday. Then you don’t qualify.”

I said what if I get a dealership to take over my purchase order so they can get the rebate. She said I’ll “have to argue with someone else” and took my name/number for someone to call me back.
I just called the Ministry and they informed me that in order for you to be eligible for the incentive you must:

1. Have an Order agreement on or before July 11th. (Contract)
2. Vehicle must be on the eligible list.
3. Must be Delivered , Plated and Registered by Sept 11, 2018

The dealership ordering to manufacturer was not a problem as long as you have an order agreement.

I hope this helps.

I have a June 20th agreement. calling Tesla as soon as they are open.

we also should all be tweeting Elon and Tesla to expedite the delivery to Ontario.

Hmm seems to be conflicting information. So which one is it?

I just called the Ministry and they informed me that in order for you to be eligible for the incentive you must:

1. Have an Order agreement on or before July 11th. (Contract)
2. Vehicle must be on the eligible list.
3. Must be Delivered , Plated and Registered by Sept 11, 2018

The dealership ordering to manufacturer was not a problem as long as you have an order agreement.

FYI @adaptabl

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I hope my gov't worker is wrong. I'm just quoting what she said. She sounded unhappy (likely because of the abundance of phone calls yesterday/today).

I've been sick to my stomach since reading this yesterday.

Probably pissed because her job is done now that the program is cancelled and having people bombard her with anger at the same time. Cannot have been a fun day.

We certainly still require more clarification and I believe sending emails to the Ministers / MPPs is a good thing. You likely won't get additional information unless there is a surge of citizens asking for it.

Another thing that still is vague is the eligibility list still is not updated.
I realize virtually everyone believes nothing new would be added but it is interesting it still shows March 9 rather than a final July 10 date:
EHVIP Eligible Vehicle and Incentive List
Effective March 9, 2018

Ok folks - MTO site reflects last night’s press release:

Attachments

• 201D7286-A69C-4E57-9AE8-12C35A9DAB1D.jpeg
    201D7286-A69C-4E57-9AE8-12C35A9DAB1D.jpeg
    857.7 KB · Views: 57
Thanks. I may have to get a refund:(
my delivery date is sept-nov. Unlikely to make the cut.

I did tweet Elon about out situation. Doubt I'll hear from him.
If we can get confirmation that Tesla orders before July 11 are eligible for the deadline, I would suggest to wait a month or so to see if Tesla expedites orders to Ontario. If you don’t get a VIN within that time you can still cancel. If you do, then your delivery should make the deadline.

Reactions: Ludatik
If we can get confirmation that Tesla orders before July 11 are eligible for the deadline, I would suggest to wait a month or so to see if Tesla expedites orders to Ontario. If you don’t get a VIN within that time you can still cancel. If you do, then your delivery should make the deadline.

Sounds like a good plan. Is it just a simple phone call to cancel? Still would love the M3 but I currently am leasing another car and was willing to pay for both until my current lease ended so that I could get the 14K. But if I can't get the 14k I'll wait to order when my lease is closer to ending.