Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like a good plan. Is it just a simple phone call to cancel? Still would love the M3 but I currently am leasing another car and was willing to pay for both until my current lease ended so that I could get the 14K. But if I can't get the 14k I'll wait to order when my lease is closer to ending.
When I called last night they were willing to put a cancellation request through right away, with a full refund within 20 days. The sales rep said as long as a VIN hasn’t been assigned cancelling should not be a problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ludatik
My fear is that the AWD won’t get added to the list even if I receive the car before Sept 10th.
There is 0 chance of this happening.

A friend of a friend ordered his RWD Model 3 on June 16th and took delivery on July 11th at 4pm. Slid right under the deadline without having to worry about the ambiguous dates.

If we can get confirmation that Tesla orders before July 11 are eligible for the deadline, I would suggest to wait a month or so to see if Tesla expedites orders to Ontario. If you don’t get a VIN within that time you can still cancel. If you do, then your delivery should make the deadline.

Do you have any idea on how long it is to take delivery of a vehicle after a VIN is issued?

I reserved my model 3 two years ago. I ordered in late May. I was told delivery would be in 4-8 weeks. I tweeted Ford at the time and was told that I would qualify for the rebate because of when I ordered and the promised delivery date. I think the announcement yesterday is consistent with what Ford promised. The problem now is Tesla. When I called recently I was told that contrary to what I was told when ordering, delivery was expected to be about 3-5 months.

I expect there are many of us in the same boat. We stand to lose a $14,000 rebate we relied upon because of a unilateral, no-notice change in delivery time.

I think we should stand together and ask Tesla to honour their promised delivery time. We were with Tesla in the beginning when reservations opened, we ordered shortly after being invited to do so, Ford honoured his commitment to make sure we will qualify for the rebate if Tesla honours its delivery Committment. And that’s exactly what Tesla should do.

When I called last night they were willing to put a cancellation request through right away, with a full refund within 20 days. The sales rep said as long as a VIN hasn’t been assigned cancelling should not be a problem.

Did you just call the 1-888 Tesla number and press 3 "to learn more about the award winning Model 3"? I just tried that number with a > 1 hour hold time, so I hung up. But I'm in the boat where I was banking on the rebate, so it looks like my 2 week-long high about owning a Tesla will come to an end because I'll have to cancel.

Did you just call the 1-888 Tesla number and press 3 "to learn more about the award winning Model 3"? I just tried that number with a > 1 hour hold time, so I hung up. But I'm in the boat where I was banking on the rebate, so it looks like my 2 week-long high about owning a Tesla will come to an end because I'll have to cancel.
Yes, I was on hold for 40min last night but eventually got through.

I just got off the phone with Ministry of Finance. They said that as long as you have order with Tesla before/on July 11 and that the vehicle is delivered and plated before September 10, they will qualify the rebate.

Pressure is on Tesla now.
That's great news, would love an official communication ...wonder if my order for a silver will make it ...silver seems unpopular...maybe I should switch to obsidian black but then I risk going to the end of the line

Sigh.............:(

My options now are to switch to the RWD if possible and hope delivery is before Sept 10th.
OR cancel my AWD LR altogether and wait for the AWD SR.

If you're able to switch to RWD and retain your original pre-July 11th order date, I'm not sure why you wouldn't try as it seems like a risk-free scenario given the full refund policy. Unless you don't want RWD or they charge you the $500 change fee.

One issue I see with simply "diverting" vehicles up here is that they need to be configured specifically for use in Canada and there are slight differences so you can't just take a vehicle that's already manufactured and divert it up here. They would have to potentially make some assembly line changes rather soon and then ship those vehicles up here.

Can also confirm that Tesla has announced the ability to take a refund for anyone affected by this.

• Informative
Reactions: Anto
One issue I see with simply "diverting" vehicles up here is that they need to be configured specifically for use in Canada and there are slight differences so you can't just take a vehicle that's already manufactured and divert it up here. They would have to potentially make some assembly line changes rather soon and then ship those vehicles up here.

What are the differences? Pardon my ignorance

• Informative
Reactions: akidesir