Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with this analogy is that Sony was the one offering the discount in tour scenario .

Tesla was not offering a discount. The car was eligible for a government incentive program up until July 11. Tesla didn't know if/when the program would be cancelled and when those that ordered prior to July 11, it was in fact in place.

But, when Doug Ford was campaigning he was very clear about cancelling the program. The program itself also said that it could be changed or cancelled at any time .

While it definitely is a shame, it is not surprising. Doug Ford singling out Tesla is a politically charged move that is based on optics of Tesla as a luxury brand (as it is). That plays well to his base.

Except their is a flaw in your logic.

I did purchase that Sony TV... it's on order, coming any day and now I am being told by Best Buy sorry you need to pay full price.

Reactions: lukex4 and Tony_YYZ
The problem with this analogy is that Sony was the one offering the discount in tour scenario .

Tesla was not offering a discount. The car was eligible for a government incentive program up until July 11. Tesla didn't know if/when the program would be cancelled and when those that ordered prior to July 11, it was in fact in place.

But, when Doug Ford was campaigning he was very clear about cancelling the program. The program itself also said that it could be changed or cancelled at any time .

While it definitely is a shame, it is not surprising. Doug Ford singling out Tesla is a politically charged move that is based on optics of Tesla as a luxury brand (as it is). That plays well to his base.

Agreed but when you go and send out press releases like this - Premier Doug Ford Announces the End of the Cap-and-Trade Carbon Tax Era in Ontario you are almost baiting people and then changing your mind.

Specifically this part:

To ensure an orderly wind-down of programs funded through the cap-and-trade carbon tax, Ford committed that his government will honour arrangements where contracts have already been signed and orders have already been made, such as energy efficient insulation and window retrofits. Decisions to continue any specific initiatives currently supported by the fund will need to be paid for out of the tax base and will be made on a case-by-case basis in alignment with the Ford government's Plan For the People and the upcoming value-for-money audit.

And very specifically this exact line which was his promise all along...

Ford committed that his government will honour arrangements where contracts have already been signed and orders have already been made

Nobody is really mad that its going away... that was obvious. It's how he decided to go about it that must change.

Agreed, I'm in the same boat and doing everything I can. I placed my order in early June. The way the cancellation is worded though suggests that we should be okay given the were "orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10."

Or am I misreading/misunderstanding this?

EVERYONE EMAIL THE PCS and the Greg guy. I literally CANNOT afford this car without the incentive, I've pulled all my investments out of my TFSA and borrowed the necessary money for this. The fact that this just disappears without warning isn't fair and I'm surprised is even legal at all. Lawyers? Anyone?
I have a few friends saying to sue the government... one of them said, you dont know but most judges are liberal...

• Funny
Reactions: mahagala
OK guys - as it stands now, if you haven't gotten your car yet, you're screwed. I'm sure Tesla is doing what they can to change the Ontario Government's mind, but they need our help - let's ALL OF US email ALL of the PC MPPs. I'm such a nice guys that I've even compiled all of their emails (see below) and even written a letter that we can all send. As I see it, there are 3 ways we can do this; a lazy way, a less lazy way, and a way that takes more effort:

1. Lazy Way: copy the letter into an email, BCC all of the MPPs and simply start the letter off in a generic format (e.g. Good afternoon). This will take you all of 10 seconds.

2. More Effort Way: Copy the letter into an email and send it to every MPP individually, addressing them by name. This should take you 10-15 minutes.

3. Whether you BCC all the MPPs or address them individually in multiple emails, customize the letter so that it's not the same as all the other letters they're getting.

Really, if we're not willing to do even this little bit, then we don't deserve a $14,000 rebate. Let's apply a little pressure folks!

[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]

...letter to follow in a minute
Emailed all separately

Reactions: KayZee
I have a few friends saying to sue the government... one of them said, you dont know but most judges are liberal...
I spoke with my cousin (who is a hot shot lawyer). He said there’s no chance; governments are essentially immune to challenges of that sort. Unless they’re contradicting a law or the charter, there’s not much you can do. Of course, he’s a hot shot tax lawyer, if someone wants to talk to a tort lawyer then please do, but my cousin was VERY sure.

Hey everyone. This is my first post, but I’ve been reading this forum for awhile now while I was deciding if I wanted to order a model 3 or not.

I ordered just before this whole debacle, assuming that this “grace period” would apply to us as well, so of course I’m extremely disappointed that we aren’t being included. To me this is simply anti-consumerism, as they’ve clearly stated this was designed to reduce the impact on dealerships, they’ve never mentioned caring at all about consumers who have made a purchase while to program was intact.

So like many of you, I’m faced with the question of whether I think that paying full price is worth it. I’ve thought a lot about it and when I compare what I’d be getting (my buddy let me take his model 3 for a spin) against what I have now (2017 Volt), I think I’m pretty comfortable justifying the extra cost to myself anyways. I’m going to have to make some other lifestyle changes to afford it, but one is quitting smoking or having to give the car to the spouse, so it’s kind of a win, win!

I did email my MPP twice, the second time to press further after the “canned” answer, haven’t heard back yet, but I’ll try them again on Monday. I do think it’s amazing that through the hard work of some people I’m this forum, the story has hit the media, and many of us have exercised our right to demand answers from our elected officials.

Happy to be part of the forum and excitedly waiting for my Model 3!

Chill dude. I bought a model 3 too but the rebate ending has nothing to do with Tesla. It’s not their fault. It’s the Ford government. It was insanely generous therefore doomed to go. I have driven a leaf for nearly two years while I waited for my Tesla and if the rebate is gone it sucks but it’s not something to be shocked about. It’s a very expensive car with or without the rebate.

Uh dude, I know all that. I agree with it too. My point is that it’s unfair that the government has two wind down plans. One for Tesla which is actually no wind down and one for the other manufacturers.

We all knew the rebate was going. That isn’t the point. At all.

Agreed. I however, missed the part where it said ‘the evip program is subject to change or cancelation based on our like or dislike for any manufacturer. We will afford notice and a wind down period to all purchases except Tesla’

Reactions: Ludatik
I was just reviewing things this morning and thought I'd share my tweet to Elon that was sent July 11th, right after the MOT EHVIP website changed. I'm sure they were aware and did everything they could. Please support Tesla. This is about more than just buying an EV.

upload_2018-7-14_10-46-8.png

Reactions: Chanrhc
I spoke with my cousin (who is a hot shot lawyer). He said there’s no chance; governments are essentially immune to challenges of that sort. Unless they’re contradicting a law or the charter, there’s not much you can do. Of course, he’s a hot shot tax lawyer, if someone wants to talk to a tort lawyer then please do, but my cousin was VERY sure.
I read that before and I told that to my friend and he said try it anyways.

Do u guys know if Elon or any Tesla spoken person has said anything in regards of this situation?
I spoke with Tesla Oakville this morning for 20 minutes. They told me there is No rebate for Tesla vehicles only. The government worded the 2nd point on the MTO website to specifically exclude Tesla customers.

The quote from the MTO head in the globe and mail is correct.

They are trying to deal with it but told me it doesn’t look good. Also said phone MTO and government officials. Push for equal treatment.

I will wait till Monday or Tuesday and then I will have to see if I can cancel.

Reactions: adaptabl

This is true, we all knew Doug Ford and his PC party was going to scrap the rebate. Before we were all worried and thought the June 7th Election Day was going to be D-Day, let’s be glad the D-Day was extended to July 11th.

This is true, we all knew Doug Ford and his PC party was going to scrap the rebate. Before we were all worried and thought the June 7th Election Day was going to be D-Day, let’s be glad the D-Day was extended to July 11th.
Yes. Everyone agrees on this. No one is saying they didn’t see the cancelation of the program coming. It’s how they’re doing it that is the focus.

Reactions: Ludatik
Exactly. Every car on that list is eligible for rebate by September delivery except for Tesla! horrible.

Not exactly. If a dealer orders a Bolt/Leaf/etc. today and gets it in and delivered before 9/10 it isn't eligible..

The difference is on if the a dealer ordered the car from the manufacturer or the consumer did. I wonder if you had gone to a Tesla dealership and ordered your Model 3 there if it would count as the dealer ordering it... (I.e. if a Tesla employee/OA clicked the order button.)

Not exactly. If a dealer orders a Bolt/Leaf/etc. today and gets it in and delivered before 9/10 it isn't eligible..

The difference is on if the a dealer ordered the car from the manufacturer or the consumer did. I wonder if you had gone to a Tesla dealership and ordered your Model 3 there if it would count as the dealer ordering it... (I.e. if a Tesla employee/OA clicked the order button.)

This is my plan... that is honestly semantics on who ordered it how. They don't ask for the order form... they ask for the final contract. No way to prove how I went about the order and since they are dealers here I will be running with that and submitting the rebate.

They better have a very good reason as "not a dealer isn't a valid one".