Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with Tesla Oakville this morning for 20 minutes. They told me there is No rebate for Tesla vehicles only. The government worded the 2nd point on the MTO website to specifically exclude Tesla customers.

The quote from the MTO head in the globe and mail is correct.

They are trying to deal with it but told me it doesn’t look good. Also said phone MTO and government officials. Push for equal treatment.

I will wait till Monday or Tuesday and then I will have to see if I can cancel.

I also have until Monday to cancel it or not. My delivery date is on 18 Wednesday... I might still go with the purchase but really pissed off...
I still have a hope that something is going to happen in our favour. I wish Elon Musk would have said something to us in regards of that... I dont like the fact that we are linking Tesla to this as its their fault but at the same time we know they will loose lots of sales (or maybe not because the line must be long) so they would have to say something to reduce that loss...

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I also have until Monday to cancel it or not. My delivery date is on 18 Wednesday... I might still go with the purchase but really pissed off...
I still have a hope that something is going to happen in our favour. I wish Elon Musk would have said something to us in regards of that... I dont like the fact that we are linking Tesla to this as its their fault but at the same time we know they will loose lots of sales (or maybe not because the line must be long) so they would have to say something to reduce that loss...

Get your voices heard!!! CBC is looking for people in the GTA who would be willing to go on TV or radio to tell their story TODAY. If you are, please email Talia ASAP: [email protected]

After you read the comments on the Globe and Mail article, it would be a struggle to overcome perceptions. It would be nice to have subsidies, but I also see the issue is more grey to many "who are funding it through their taxes". If the deal is to get mass conversion, then perhaps smaller incentives on lower priced cars is more appropriate.

Tesla buyers out of pocket after Ontario cancels electric-car rebates

Reactions: lukex4
It's not a popularity contest nor should any government consider it as such. Incentives are needed to induce behavioral change which is required to reduce GHG's. Incentives should be applied across the board for all Canadians. They work. If the province and/or feds aren't prepared to use incentives to effect one of the largest GHG contributors (automotive sector), I think that clearly sends a message about their real stance on the issue.

$14k was a lot but it was working. A federal incentive of $5k exclusive of provinces already providing one should be introduced immediately as a stop-gap.

After you read the comments on the Globe and Mail article, it would be a struggle to overcome perceptions. It would be nice to have subsidies, but I also see the issue is more grey to many "who are funding it through their taxes". If the deal is to get mass conversion, then perhaps smaller incentives on lower priced cars is more appropriate.

Tesla buyers out of pocket after Ontario cancels electric-car rebates
Haven’t seen the comments since I don’t subscribe to the globe online but I’d assume, perhaps wrongly, that most readers aren’t grasping the fairness and equal issue. They read Tesla and rebate and stop there mentally.

Haven’t seen the comments since I don’t subscribe to the globe online but I’d assume, perhaps wrongly, that most readers aren’t grasping the fairness and equal issue. They read Tesla and rebate and stop there mentally.

This was my concern - that the media reports wouldn’t frame the story in the right way. Having read the Globe article, I don't think it will elicit the response we’re looking for. Anyway, still worth the effort. I emailed both the Globe and CBC with my thoughts yesterday.

Yeah. Ok folks. Read the Globe article and the comments. People don’t get it and they won’t ever get it because they don’t WANT to get it. There’s a lot of spite and malice in there and sheer glee at the thought of us getting screwed over. I’m sure Ford understands this. Now, at this point, if he backpedals he’ll be looked down on by his base for merely treating us like everyone else. The writing is on the wall. We’re sunk.

I’ll probably wait for the CBC report to see if that changes anything, but if there’s no move by Monday, I’ll have to pull the plug.

People really are a resentful lot who despise those who they deem as better off.

Everyone here has been great and it’s been a pleasure chatting with you all. All the best to you.

Over and out.

Yeah. Ok folks. Read the Globe article and the comments. People don’t get it and they won’t ever get it because they don’t WANT to get it. There’s a lot of spite and malice in there and sheer glee at the thought of us getting screwed over. I’m sure Ford understands this. Now, at this point, if he backpedals he’ll be looked down on by his base for merely treating us like everyone else. The writing is on the wall. We’re sunk.

I’ll probably wait for the CBC report to see if that changes anything, but if there’s no move by Monday, I’ll have to pull the plug.

People really are a resentful lot who despise those who they deem as better off.

Everyone here has been great and it’s been a pleasure chatting with you all. All the best to you.

Over and out.

It took a long frustrating time but I learned years ago not to read the comments sections of general news websites (newspapers, news websites, etc). The comments are a haven for haters yelling at each other. There is no debat, just talking past one another. Comments are only interesting on the sites of narrow publications where enthusiasts tend to gather.

On the rebate program itself I was a supporter but I thought the $14,000k was too much. I received $28,000 (2 Teslas) in rebates that I am grateful I didn’t really need. But I do think some support is required to spur broader early adoption of a technology that, I believe, is clearly in the public interest. $5,000 seems about right to me with a tapered phase out period after some years when the change to EV is inevitable.

The way this program was cancelled was terribly done. Same with cap and trade. Since when does a conservative government not like a market driven program? Unless of course you don’t think carbon is a problem.

Anyway I hope the conservative MPPs can keep the worst of Ford’s populism in check. He has a history of immorality that worries me.

A national rebate program by the feds it the right way anyway if that could happen.

This was my concern - that the media reports wouldn’t frame the story in the right way. Having read the Globe article, I don't think it will elicit the response we’re looking for. Anyway, still worth the effort. I emailed both the Globe and CBC with my thoughts yesterday.

My sentiments exactly, esp with the CBC. Media is struggling and look to polarize every issue. Click bait headlines and biased journalism with comments repeatedly from the same basement dwellers commenting ad nauseum. Cutting through the BS is a full time job in itself. Ford's base is at least partially comprised of people that just want to bring the world down to their level.

Oh my...how elitist of me :)

Over and out.

The comments are dumb. All we're asking for is the same orderly wind down that the rest of the dealers are getting on the Eligible List. It's called being fair to the wind down and what he told many of us on this forum that he would do. Some people even ordered well before the government was in place. Unfortunately, some people just think we are all millionaires when in fact most of us are middle class folks who have 10+ years cheaper cars that want to move away from gas vehicles to avoid the high gas prices and high maintenance those vehicles need.

• Love
Reactions: mahagala
The comments are dumb. All we're asking for is the same orderly wind down that the rest of the dealers are getting on the Eligible List. It's called being fair to the wind down and what he told many of us on this forum that he would do. Some people even ordered well before the government was in place. Unfortunately, some people just think we are all millionaires when in fact most of us are middle class folks who have 10+ years cheaper cars that want to move away from gas vehicles to avoid the high gas prices and high maintenance those vehicles need.
totally feel what u felt..... able to drive 80k car is not equal to millionaires, most of us trying to support what we can to the environment , but D. Ford want to create image and build hatred to stand his wrong points.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
That is us. We have a 10 year old car and 5 year old car. Both were bought used. We barely make the 6 digit figure family income. But what sold us is the fact that hubby drives 1.5 to work, and on bad days it can be 2.5 hours. Now he can save money on gas and maintenance and use the HOV lanes. What's next? Tesla cars can't use the HOV lanes? Lol

Well, it is been a good ride with up and down. Actually my wife wants a AWD but with the incentive, I was willing to go with RWD. Without it, I will wait another 6 months to get the standard battery, with AWD. may be they have standard package, but I may still go for premium package.

Drive ICE for another 6 to 9 months. Tesla have me SOLD. They treat us well.

Hey, there may be some good that comes out of it. Model 3 may get upgraded; may be finally there is Fed/province rebate.

Reactions: jkirkwood001