Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the same boat. We are screwed if we cancel our delivery because "You must own an eligible new or used electric vehicle that is registered, plated, insured, in the applicants name and on the Green Plates Eligible Vehicle list of eligible vehicles"

On the PDF application which is listed here:
Ontario Central Forms Repository - Form Identification

Direct link to PDF here:
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/023-0177E~1/$File/0177E.pdf

I just ended an interview with the CBC about this - they are writing an article...
Me too

Just an FYI. I was told by my Tesla rep that I had until the end of the week to decide about whether or not I wanted my $4200 refunded. You have to leave the entire amount in to retain your place in line though (I’m a day one reservation holder and now want to wait for the standard battery) or get a refund for the entire amount and lose your place in line.

Also, CBC called me saying they wont be able to go tomorrow with me but they interviewed me over the phone.
He asked me a few questions such as:

How much the 14k will affect me

How do i feel about purchasing the charger and still not be eligible... (That i actually didnt know)

If I was still eligible for the incentives

Why Tesla

Why electric

... and a few more i dont remember. I told him about all of us fighting for the government to be fair... If the car was eligible on MTO website, what was the reason Ford wanted to affect only us "Future Tesla owners"? Also I described as an adult teasing kids with candies and give the candies to all kids except one... that one would cry for that candy too... (I know it may sound stupid, but it makes sense).

Also, CBC called me saying they wont be able to go tomorrow with me but they interviewed me over the phone.
He asked me a few questions such as:

How much the 14k will affect me

How do i feel about purchasing the charger and still not be eligible... (That i actually didnt know)

If I was still eligible for the incentives

Why Tesla

Why electric

... and a few more i dont remember. I told him about all of us fighting for the government to be fair... If the car was eligible on MTO website, what was the reason Ford wanted to affect only us "Future Tesla owners"? Also I described as an adult teasing kids with candies and give the candies to all kids except one... that one would cry for that candy too... (I know it may sound stupid, but it makes sense).

Who is the one doing the interview ? if you need more people I'm in to do it

Its been confirmed multiple times in this thread by people calling the MTO that AWD is not qualified and its also 99% that it will not be added to the list, so definitely don't hold out hope for this if you want AWD.

Yup. So sad about that. But my husband texted me today that he saw an M3 in London today at the coffee shop. The guy took him for a quick spin in it. Says it's really nice and really fast (that was the RWD version). He is now totally convinced I should keep my AWD order even without the rebate. I'm so jealous. All I've gotten to do was sit in a Model S at Yorkdale.

Only good thing is that we are getting a settlement from VW/Audi for our diesel as compensation for the emissions cheat. So that $7000 will at least partially make up for the lost rebate.

Best of luck to all who have a chance at the rebate, wish I was amongst you!

Highly unlikely this will happen...lets say that one gets delivered and the owner backs away from the sale...first thing they will do is go through the list of people who ordered that exact same config in Ontario, Quebec, BC, etc and just offer them to pick up their car right away...I'm guessing they will find someone about 30 min after the initial buyer backs out in Ontario....if I wasn't waiting for the AWD I ordered I would 100% take over someone else's order if it were at a dealership tomorrow (without the rebate even). But since we are likely not going to get any rebate for RWD (my opinion) I'll stick with my AWD order and do my best to stay patient :)

Ditto, though patience is not easy!

Yup. So sad about that. But my husband texted me today that he saw an M3 in London today at the coffee shop. The guy took him for a quick spin in it. Says it's really nice and really fast (that was the RWD version). He is now totally convinced I should keep my AWD order even without the rebate. I'm so jealous. All I've gotten to do was sit in a Model S at Yorkdale.

You should test drive a Model S just to get a feel for Tesla. Autopilot should behave the same if you're interested in that option.

Just an FYI. I was told by my Tesla rep that I had until the end of the week to decide about whether or not I wanted my $4200 refunded. You have to leave the entire amount in to retain your place in line though (I’m a day one reservation holder and now want to wait for the standard battery) or get a refund for the entire amount and lose your place in line.

$1000 as a deposit is okay; but $4200 is bit much IMHO.

Not saying Tesla will be out of business, but even deposit to Tangerine will give u 2.5% interest and it is money in your hands instead of other people.

I don't expect that we will wait too long if and when SR with AWD is available; by then, Tesla will be well in their way of producing 5000 cars a week or even more.

Just my 2 cents.

OK, I’ve been thinking about this a bit. Tesla won’t have any success negotiating with Ford. Why? Because Ford hates them and Tesla drivers. If your local MPP is NDP or Liberal then they will likely also have no success changing Ford’s mind. Why? He hates them too. Our only hope is to petition PC MPPs and try to impress upon them just how unfair the MANNER of the wind down is to their constituents. With that in mind, I’ve crafted this email and I would recommend we all send it out to all the PC MPPs out there. If we can have Ford’s MPPs pushing him to loosen up a bit then we might have a chance…

Dear Mr./Ms. MPP,

Recently Premier Ford announced the cancellation of cap-and-trade, along with the green initiatives tied to it. Although I believe in climate change I understand that there are many ways to tackle this problem and Ontario’s Cap and Trade solution may not be the best of them. As such, my email today is not in protest to the cancellation of Cap and Trade and its associated green initiatives. Rather, it is in protest to the MANNER in which it is being cancelled, specifically in regards to the EVHIP program.

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:
  • Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Although this gives dealers a ‘wind-down’ period, it offers no such consideration to consumers. I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as they buy directly from the manufacturer, especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. Many of us have ordered this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. We now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that we can no longer afford.

All I am asking is that Premier Ford extend to us, his constituents, the same consideration he is offering to businesses (i.e. the dealers); honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, it seems as though Premier Ford is intentionally targeting Tesla, but is really only hurting his people. We voted-in Premier Ford in good faith, so please don’t break faith with us now – wind down this program in an equitable manner.

Sincerely,

NAME

Take this, change it, make it your own, and then send it to ALL the PC MPPs. A complete listing of their emails can be found here: Current MPPs | Legislative Assembly of Ontario. It's time we stopped whining about how unfair this is and do what we can to fight it.

Done
Thanks for great email

Toronto Star:

Meanwhile, Transportation Minister John Yakabuski said the government is sticking to its plan to end taxpayer subsidies for electric and hybrid cars despite complaints from motorists who have paid deposits on Tesla models that won’t be delivered until after the deadline.

The incentives of up to $14,000 will still be paid on eligible vehicles that have been delivered to buyers, registered and plated by July 11.

For motorists who agreed to buy vehicles on dealer lots or ordered vehicles before July 11, the subsidies will be paid only if the cars are delivered, registered and plated by Sept. 10.

“We extended it to Sept. 10 so that people would have an ample amount of time,” Yakabuski told the Star.

“Tesla does not have a dealer network. They deal directly with the consumer and our intention in extending it for the other models was to protect the dealer networks that provide jobs and work for people here in Ontario.”