Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole situation is complete and utter BS.
I’m disappointed in our government beyond words.

Someone had mentioned previously that EAP is essentially “free” to Tesla. I normally wouldn’t agree with this statement as I understand the inner workings of software development and the hours that go into it. But for the sake of this argument, I’ll agree.

It would be absolutely fantastic if Tesla decided to make this a “free” option for all who are affected by this. It’s clear that the province isn’t budging on this as mentioned earlier today. So before I cancel my order and nearly 2 year wait, I’m waiting and hoping something positive happens. I’d take $6,000 over $0 any day of the week!

After all, Tesla did recently help the Germans out by covering the 4000€ incentive that buyers were ordered to pay back.

I hope his affinity towards Canada plays in our favour!

A few quotes that I stumbled upon while researching the possibility of a federal incentive. Magbe we should remind them about what they said?

“We understand Canadians’ concerns about the environment and are developing an aggressive strategy to tackle climate change by taking actions to reduce greenhouse gases and air pollution. By putting more zero emission vehicles on the road, we are investing in the future of cleaner transportation for all Canadians.”

Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport

“This is a time of laying the groundwork for the 21st-century society we want. As a government, we are putting forward a broad, thoughtful and modern agenda. New measures to improve efficiency across the transportation sector, as well as to encourage zero-emission vehicles, will complement carbon pricing and take advantage of a low-carbon electricity grid.”

Catherine McKenna
Minister of Environment and Climate Change

Government of Canada to develop a national Zero-Emissions Vehicle Strategy by 2018

Government of Canada to develop a national Zero-Emissions Vehicle Strategy by 2018 - Canada.ca

A few quotes that I stumbled upon while researching the possibility of a federal incentive. Magbe we should remind them about what they said?

“We understand Canadians’ concerns about the environment and are developing an aggressive strategy to tackle climate change by taking actions to reduce greenhouse gases and air pollution. By putting more zero emission vehicles on the road, we are investing in the future of cleaner transportation for all Canadians.”

Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport

“This is a time of laying the groundwork for the 21st-century society we want. As a government, we are putting forward a broad, thoughtful and modern agenda. New measures to improve efficiency across the transportation sector, as well as to encourage zero-emission vehicles, will complement carbon pricing and take advantage of a low-carbon electricity grid.”

Catherine McKenna
Minister of Environment and Climate Change

Government of Canada to develop a national Zero-Emissions Vehicle Strategy by 2018

Government of Canada to develop a national Zero-Emissions Vehicle Strategy by 2018 - Canada.ca

F* we need a support group!
My only consolation is that I was considering forgoing the rebate and changing to AWD before I realized 14k is like a year of payments. Now I might as well do it, it's only 6k more for the car I really want. Lose 14k so might as well spend an extra 6... Makes sense right?

If i get an AWD can some of you rwd'ers who already took delivery and are getting rebate race me and let me win by a lot so I feel better?

Tesla customers take a hit after Ontario ends charger rebate | CBC News

Another CBC article, gotta admit nothing seems to be changing too much though.

If we hear nothing by end of week I feel like I will have to pull the plug and cancel. Is it true they are telling people it’s 1-2 months before you get money back though?

I am with you, My only concern will be the hold wait time on Friday with everyone a large amount of people cancelling. I might just do it today.

Right. Cause no one works at Tesla in Ontario.
Toronto Star:

Meanwhile, Transportation Minister John Yakabuski said the government is sticking to its plan to end taxpayer subsidies for electric and hybrid cars despite complaints from motorists who have paid deposits on Tesla models that won’t be delivered until after the deadline.

The incentives of up to $14,000 will still be paid on eligible vehicles that have been delivered to buyers, registered and plated by July 11.

For motorists who agreed to buy vehicles on dealer lots or ordered vehicles before July 11, the subsidies will be paid only if the cars are delivered, registered and plated by Sept. 10.

“We extended it to Sept. 10 so that people would have an ample amount of time,” Yakabuski told the Star.

“Tesla does not have a dealer network. They deal directly with the consumer and our intention in extending it for the other models was to protect the dealer networks that provide jobs and work for people here in Ontario.”
Toronto Star:

Meanwhile, Transportation Minister John Yakabuski said the government is sticking to its plan to end taxpayer subsidies for electric and hybrid cars despite complaints from motorists who have paid deposits on Tesla models that won’t be delivered until after the deadline.

The incentives of up to $14,000 will still be paid on eligible vehicles that have been delivered to buyers, registered and plated by July 11.

For motorists who agreed to buy vehicles on dealer lots or ordered vehicles before July 11, the subsidies will be paid only if the cars are delivered, registered and plated by Sept. 10.

“We extended it to Sept. 10 so that people would have an ample amount of time,” Yakabuski told the Star.

“Tesla does not have a dealer network. They deal directly with the consumer and our intention in extending it for the other models was to protect the dealer networks that provide jobs and work for people here in Ontario.”
I sent an email to this reporter as well with the Ford twitter messages.

The more people out the lies the more support we will get.

Attachments

• IMG_1853.PNG
    IMG_1853.PNG
    30.9 KB · Views: 54
We need to remind the transportation minister that Tesla has Ontario dealers that should be protected too...
View attachment 317615
Most people know Tesla is a real dealership. The ministry just chose poor wording. They could have and probably should have just said 'all dealerships have until September 10th, except Tesla because Doug Ford doesn't like Tesla'. There still wouldn't be anything we could do.

Most people know Tesla is a real dealership. The ministry just chose poor wording. They could have and probably should have just said 'all dealerships have until September 10th, except Tesla because Doug Ford doesn't like Tesla'. There still wouldn't be anything we could do.
Correct

EHVIP is a policy not legislation.

We would still be in the same position, but at least the public and media would see this and question the segregation.

Ford doesn't need to lie. He has a majority government.

Do the right thing for the people is all we ask.

Reactions: BKR1986
Hey Adaptabl, who are you? Why are you disagreeing with everything to get model Tesla on the road without actually commenting. It is fine to disagree, but please do share your thoughts so discussions can be productive.
To be fair...
@adaptabl has commented a fair bit here and simply disagrees. Making him or her reiterate is pointless. Search the posts.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
We’re you told by Tesla Friday is a deadline? I’ve never received any communication from Tesla except take my money.

Until I hear different from them I’m staying status quo

I'm confused why I've had no communication from Tesla. I ordered an AWD on June 28th, so why like many on this forum didn't I get an email about the option to get a refund? I wonder if there's a pattern: for example, my order says I will pay cash - is Tesla only promoting the refund offer to those who were leveraging Tesla's financing? Or is it because I ordered AWD? Or because I don't have a VIN yet? I suppose I could phone them, stay on hold for a while, and ask.

I'm curious. To all: did you get an email, and what's the state of your order?

This whole situation is complete and utter BS.
I’m disappointed in our government beyond words.

...It would be absolutely fantastic if Tesla decided to make this a “free” option for all who are affected by this. It’s clear that the province isn’t budging on this as mentioned earlier today. So before I cancel my order and nearly 2 year wait, I’m waiting and hoping something positive happens. I’d take $6,000 over $0 any day of the week!

Why should Tesla offer anything when it is not their fault at all, in fact it would be completely unfair to all those who paid for the option.

Everyone is complaining because Ford actually followed through on his promise to kill the cap and trade which everyone knows pays for these incentives. We KNEW it was going to happen, he campaigned on that promise, and we KNEW that the incentives could be cancelled without notice. Anyone who continued with their order after the PC gov won the election can only blame themselves for taking a $14k gamble.

I'm confused why I've had no communication from Tesla. I ordered an AWD on June 28th, so why like many on this forum didn't I get an email about the option to get a refund? I wonder if there's a pattern: for example, my order says I will pay cash - is Tesla only promoting the refund offer to those who were leveraging Tesla's financing? Or is it because I ordered AWD? Or because I don't have a VIN yet? I suppose I could phone them, stay on hold for a while, and ask.

I'm curious. To all: did you get an email, and what's the state of your order?
As you can see from my tag I ordered AWD on June 26, I assume I haven't received an email since it is AWD (not eligible) and no VIN being assigned. Not 100% sure though. I doubt I am cancelling though so probably less concerned than others.

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001