Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Any other nuggets from your conversation?
I was asking them about the ability to change the orders from RWD to AWD and seeing if that would change my priority but delivery of the car might be affected as the manufacturing process changes (dependent on how far along the car is). But she advised that I don’t change anything if I want to get it sooner. She did leave her email so if I want to change it I can just shoot her an email.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ludatik
17C5DFFC-CE27-45A8-8473-27AA2B3044C8.jpeg
Just back from Tesla Lawrence. Sat in the 3 and I’m hopeful to be receiving it soon. They stated their next expected delivery is 3rd week of August and no idea if AWD will be part of it yet. They finally have one in showroom.

I haven't officially canceled yet but I used to get so excited and even talk to the owners anytime I pulled up to one at the lights or in traffic. Now I'm definitely bitter knowing with almost 100% certainty that I'll be canceling in the next week or two. For my own sanity, I've just been thinking of them as just any other car or the road.

I've even run the numbers without EAP and without the 19" sport wheels to try to justify the purchase. But then I thought "here I go compromising again..." I drive 70 km each way to work and back and EAP was a huge selling feature. I hate the 18" aero wheels and yes, I realize I could buy new wheels for less but the fact is I would never do it and really like the 19" option.

I'm either going to get the car I want, without compromise or continue to drive my perfectly functional and decently economical Hyundai Santa Fe for another year or two until a Federal incentive is in place and battery tech has become even more affordable.

Part of me wishes Elon would have prioritized AWD before RWD. This conversation would be a moot point, for me at least. But that's selfish and I digress.

Yes, don't make compromises when it comes to getting a car of your dream. Perhaps (like myself) you can just cancel, keep driving the ICE car, and wait until a better deal comes up. Like any hi-tech devices, EV can only get better and cheaper... I know, it hurts to cancel the order... (I still feel the pain!)

Just got off the phone with Tesla - you can tell the momentum has died off. I called the day the incentive was killed and spent 2.5 hours on hold. Today I spent 23 minutes on hold.

I called to officially cancel after going back and forth over the last few weeks.
I confirmed that they are no longer taking cancellations post VIN assignment. But so long as you don't have a VIN you could cancel.

The process was painless - The representative was very sweet. She said she receives dozens of calls per day from customers in Ontario who have called to cancel.

She sent me an email and waited on the line with me. The email was to confirm the cancellation as well as to provide a reason for the cancellation. I chose option 6 - other and added "Can no longer afford the vehicle after the cancellation of the Ontario EHVIP."

She confirmed that a cheque would be mailed to me for the full amount of $4200 within 30-60 business days.

I asked if she had received any internal memo's as to whether anything is being done by Tesla to pressure the government - she said she had not personally heard of anything nor had there been any official company memos.

I think it's fair to say it's done ladies and gents. We tried, but my towel has been thrown in.

Email below:

Cancel.PNG

Not so sure in this case. The government set the rule for dealerships to protect the dealerships and exclude Tesla. However, it appears as though they may have been sloppy in the wording and the wording might actually allow for Teslas to receive the rebate as well.

If one did get a Tesla before sept 10th and filed an application (and it got denied), would they then have a legal case? After all, it seems as though they satisfied the letter of the rule...

I would also like to know that if I followed through and got denied if I would have a legal case...

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I haven't officially canceled yet but I used to get so excited and even talk to the owners anytime I pulled up to one at the lights or in traffic. Now I'm definitely bitter knowing with almost 100% certainty that I'll be canceling in the next week or two. For my own sanity, I've just been thinking of them as just any other car or the road.

I've even run the numbers without EAP and without the 19" sport wheels to try to justify the purchase. But then I thought "here I go compromising again..." I drive 70 km each way to work and back and EAP was a huge selling feature. I hate the 18" aero wheels and yes, I realize I could buy new wheels for less but the fact is I would never do it and really like the 19" option.

I'm either going to get the car I want, without compromise or continue to drive my perfectly functional and decently economical Hyundai Santa Fe for another year or two until a Federal incentive is in place and battery tech has become even more affordable.

Part of me wishes Elon would have prioritized AWD before RWD. This conversation would be a moot point, for me at least. But that's selfish and I digress.

Wow, @BKR1986, you're one of the ones most negatively affected by this policy kill. I'm very sorry for you.

Keep your chin up and be patient. You will get the car you wish for, it's just going to take a bit longer! If the feds don't deliver a rebate, there will be used 3s eventually. (The 3 I hope to get soon is already destined to my environmental-inclined son who won't be in a position to buy such a car for some time - that is, after I've driven in for a while and the next Tesla comes along :)

Oh and I suggest you call Tesla this week or the refund may be gone.

Yes, don't make compromises when it comes to getting a car of your dream. Perhaps (like myself) you can just cancel, keep driving the ICE car, and wait until a better deal comes up. Like any hi-tech devices, EV can only get better and cheaper... I know, it hurts to cancel the order... (I still feel the pain!)

Except in my rush to order on June 28th, before Ford cancelled the program (we were dreaming, right?), I opted for the LR battery, which was not on my wish list. An expensive gamble! But at least it was a compromise for more-than-I-needed, not less.

Wow, @BKR1986, you're one of the ones most negatively affected by this policy kill. I'm very sorry for you.

Keep your chin up and be patient. You will get the car you wish for, it's just going to take a bit longer! If the feds don't deliver a rebate, there will be used 3s eventually. (The 3 I hope to get soon is already destined to my environmental-inclined son who won't be in a position to buy such a car for some time - that is, after I've driven in for a while and the next Tesla comes along :)

Oh and I suggest you call Tesla this week or the refund may be gone.

Very kind words sir,
Thank you so much and I too hope to one day soon be a happy Tesla owner. If you look a few posts down, you'll see that I reluctantly pulled the trigger and canceled. As cheesy as it sounds - everything happens for a reason so we'll see what the future holds!

I fully intend to remain a part of this forum. Everyone has been extremely kind and the information provided has been extremely insightful.

Thank you all and I can't wait to see more photos of everyone's deliveries.

I'm in the Burlington area so I hope to see the new Tesla Super Chargers at the Mapleview mall full of Model 3's in the coming months!

Thanks everyone!

Stop being so rude, @M109Rider. It does have something to do with Ford's decision.

Ford's camp wrote the bill (?) assuming Tesla would be excluded because it doesn't actively sell cars in Ontario. But Tesla does have dealers in Ontario, as the government's own site indicates. So the action via the Ombudsman is trying to reconcile that issue. I agree the Ford government doesn't want to pay rebates to late Tesla buyers, and they would have to acknowledge the application of the dealer condition to enable staff to write cheques to Tesla owners who get their cars by Sept. 10, but it's still possible, although unlikely. (It's so frustrating when people say "there's 0% chance of x happening" about something in the future. You can't predict anything about the future with 100% assurance, especially in politics.)

First. I wasn’t rude at all jkirkwood001. That’s your perception.

Alkaluana’s post said
“Disagreed. See my last post about order agreement.” His post could certainly be taken as rude though, not mine.

Second, you didn’t interpret or read my post correctly. You just agreed with my post, because I stated that until Ford changes that, it doesn’t matter. Ford has final say. Which is correct, and you just agreed with me in your post.

• Disagree
Reactions: akaluana

Alkaluana’s post said
“Disagreed. See my last post about order agreement.” His post could certainly be taken as rude though, not mine.

Second, you didn’t interpret or read my post correctly. You just agreed with my post, because I stated that until Ford changes that, it doesn’t matter. Ford has final say. Which is correct, and you just agreed with me in your post.
Okay so disagreement is being rude?

• Disagree
Reactions: ebatmobile

Alkaluana’s post said

So this is interesting. I think you're right, M109Rider. I think you make a good point. My problem is the way you wrote it, it sounds like your telling akaluana they are wrong, that it's obvious their point of view is wrong, when instead you're telling me you just have a different opinion. If that's the case, their opinion is equally valuable, but I can't tell that from your message. I routinely misunderstand people who tell others they're wrong that they think they're being respectful. I don't think it is. In my opinion, you can definitely disagree with someone without trying to belittle their argument. I think it's so important in a public forum. That's the way I read your comment. Five people liked my response so I'm not alone.

Do you care some people got that impression, @M109Rider? Or will you tell me I'm wrong, that's not what you said?

Last edited:
So this is interesting. I think you're right, M109Rider. I think you make a good point. My problem is the way you wrote it, it sounds like your telling akaluana they are wrong, that it's obvious their point of view is wrong, when instead you're telling me you just have a different opinion. If that's the case, their opinion is equally valuable, but I can't tell that from your message. I routinely misunderstand people who tell others they're wrong that they think they're being respectful. I don't think it is. In my opinion, you can definitely disagree with someone without trying to belittle their argument. I think it's so important in a public forum. That's the way I read your comment. Five people liked my response so I'm not alone.

Do you care some people got that impression, @M109Rider? Or will you tell me I'm wrong, that's not what you said?

Lol
I’m not sure what you just babbled on about, but you seem to have a gift for creating things that aren’t there.
You may want to review some of your older posts, and you may find you are the person you criticize in others ...

I'm sorry to hear that, @ThiagoSnow.

I'm wondering if you received delivery the week of July 11th, did you inquire from Tesla if you could refuse delivery on the grounds the web site pricing suggested the rebate would apply? We read in this thread that Tesla is quietly offering refunds to those who ordered before July 11th and have upcoming deliveries. Could you have also received a refund if you chose to?
Hi jkirkwood001,
They did offer me a refund , but I decided to keep on going with the purchase Because it's being 2 years dreaming for this car and because I had sold my home, I had some money saved for me to buy a new home. I put the $14,000 up front so I would pay less in the monthly payments. My plan was it still the same, but I was expecting when I received the money back from the government, to put the money back where it came from. Now I'm going to have to buy a new home which is $14,000 less than what I was planning. That's my way of thinking that doesn't affect my psychological.